Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with WML - keep me honest

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Have you ever attempted to shoot your rifle in the dark? If you have, you'll realize why a light comes in handy in the dark.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I light is a must. There is no way I'm going outside to investigate a sound without being able to see.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    "Always be sure of your target, it's foreground and it's background."

And then there's the whole, coming out of sleep bleary eyed and immediately lighting up whatever comes through the door. Oops, that was your wife you lit up, who you failed to ID because you didn't think a weapon light was worth it and failed to ensure that she was in the room with you because you just woke up.

Oh, and just because something is legal doesn't mean that it is moral.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    Have you ever attempted to shoot your rifle in the dark? If you have, you'll realize why a light comes in handy in the dark.
    People seem to forget that interior spaces, when the power is out, have varying levels of ambient light available.

It's typically dark 50% of the time. If you intend to deploy your weapon in 24-hour state of readiness, you will need a WML.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 06-02-14 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.
    Even during daylight hours, parts of some structures can still be easier to assess with a flashlight, so even when the sun's up there is an application for a WML.

The worry about being a targetable lighthouse isn't unfounded, but using a WML with momentary switch operation works remarkably well, especially if you train to have the light on when you want it, and off when you don't need it (ideally move afterwards).

If in doubt, the amount that can be learned from one airsoft night event is worth about as much as the cost of entry for a night shooting course, but much cheaper. It's amusing how hard it is for even somebody decent at shooting to actually hit a point light at night, more so if it's moving. The value of having a couple hundred lumens outbound is indispensable, and less of a liability than most people assume with regard to being a projectile magnet. Considering that sketchy stuff disproportionately happens in low light, a WML is something I consider mandatory for primary AND secondary weapon systems, as is having a tertiary light. I'm sure I could make do with $2k less in SureFire hardware, but having a weapon system without a light is like having a car without headlights - they're great as track cars (and range toys), but pretty much limited utility beyond that.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    For years I thought a weapon mounted light just introduced an easy way to get killed in a home defense scenario. An easy way for a bad guy to identify your position. If I am awaken by a bump in the night and after confirming my wife is beside me I will be the guy sitting in the corner of my bedroom prepared to shoot anything that shows it's face at my bedroom door. I don't have dogs or kids so shooting at shadows isn't a problem for me. I have now changed my position and have equipped my HD rifle and shotgun with lights. I reason that a light will enable me to clean up my mess if needed. Dead home invaders don't have much to say in court! Get a light. It just sits there doing nothing if you don't need it. GH
    Dude...wow.

I'm going to assume you're making a funny here. If not, try to keep in mind that there are folks who read these forums as ways to cherry pick posts and make shooters/enthusiasts look like crazies.

I'm glad you have a light now. Good choice.
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you want your rifle to be useful for more than 12 hours a day, get a light.

If you only think you'll need a gun outdoors during daylight hours, don't get a light. I really hope you don't think this.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 06-02-14 at 22:25.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A light is also a great way to blind an intruder. I think a quality RDS and light are important for any home defense carbine.
    Last edited by Sean W.; 06-02-14 at 22:29.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    If you can't pick your shit up at 3pm or 0300 and it's configured to get it done 0-400m in seconds, sideways, upside down, or unstable... your a daylight range clown.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Both as a career cop and a multiple deployed military reservist who worked at night most of the time a light is mandatory on a defense weapon. Any weapon that may be used for defense purposes wears a light. I'm partial to Scout lights and surefire pistol lights on my Glocks. As a HD weapon for me the light would come before a sling, RDS, or holster for a pistol. People that say it's not needed just don't know what they don't know. It's that simple.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    ...If in doubt, the amount that can be learned from one airsoft night event is worth about as much as the cost of entry for a night shooting course, but much cheaper. It's amusing how hard it is for even somebody decent at shooting to actually hit a point light at night, more so if it's moving. The value of having a couple hundred lumens outbound is indispensable, and less of a liability than most people assume with regard to being a projectile magnet. Considering that sketchy stuff disproportionately happens in low light, a WML is something I consider mandatory for primary AND secondary weapon systems, as is having a tertiary light. I'm sure I could make do with $2k less in SureFire hardware, but having a weapon system without a light is like having a car without headlights - they're great as track cars (and range toys), but pretty much limited utility beyond that.
    This.
    Not being able to see or "IFF" really sucks.
    Ironically, per the airsoft mention here, this point was driven home to when I used to play paintball. After two nightgames of spending hours painstakingly crawling blindly through the woods, and having to guess who was moving in the bushes a few feet away, I said " never again" and jerry-taped a light to my barrel for the next game which went much smoother...
    So when I started putting together my rifle, I made sure it had a light, even before I got an RDS...
    Because you can't just shoot suspicious shadows willy nilly... (unless you're LAPD... )

Consider also the "shock an awe" advantage you can gain, which may allow one to avoid blasting someone all together...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast