Thread: SBR transfer?

Feedback Score

SBR transfer?

I have an SBR, I would like to transfer it to my 17 y/o step soon when he turns 18. Can I start the paper work whilst he is still 17 even though when the paper work finalizes he will be 18 or do I have to wait till he's 18 to start the paper work?

Feedback Score
    I see this asked a lot regarding trusts and trustees preparing to turn 18. The 4473 doesn't get filled out until stamp is approved and transfer is set to take place. I don't know why individual transfers would be any different. Even if it was approved while he was 17, you just keep it until the birthday. Nobody says you have to transfer it the day stamp is received.

ETA: can't be done based on posts following this one. Adding that note to this post.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 06-04-14 at 17:53.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Have you thought about forming a trust, making him a trustee and then transfer the SBR to the trust?

To answer your question, I think it will depend on when the examiner gets to your paperwork. Is a CLEO going to sign off on a 17 year old getting an SBR? Doubtful.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 06-04-14 at 15:31.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    What is the minimum age to transfer NFA items? I had thought it was 21.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Have you thought about forming a trust, making him a trustee and then transfer the SBR to the trust?
    Shit! A transfer is $200. If you have to drop that money, Register a NEW SBR. The transfer is the worst idea.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDakRoughrider View Post
    I have an SBR, I would like to transfer it to my 17 y/o step soon when he turns 18. Can I start the paper work whilst he is still 17 even though when the paper work finalizes he will be 18 or do I have to wait till he's 18 to start the paper work?
    No.

You would be violating Federal Law when you sign Block 10 certifying the transfer is legal. It is not legal until he is 18.
    Last edited by Renegade; 06-04-14 at 16:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    What is the minimum age to transfer NFA items? I had thought it was 21.
    18. Dealers won't do it until 21, but you can do a Form 1 or an in-state Form 4 that doesn't involve a dealer at 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    No.

You would be violating Federal Law when you sign Block 10 certifying the transfer is legal. It is not legal until he is 18.
    And that's the difference in an individual and a trustee. Trustee wouldn't have to be 18 until the actual transfer happens, right?

Feedback Score
    He can wait , but that rifle has sentimental value to him. It is the first "man's" rifle he ever shot, he loves that rifle and feels like it's a part of me that will never die. Guns are something special we share together, my other son, well we share dogs as our special connection . He'll just have to wait till he's 18.