Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590A1 - RDS Mounting Options

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I can't see a RDS or GRS being faster than a rib and bead on real world targets. Maybe more accurate but I don't shoot slugs.
    Was that your experience when you tested? When you tried it with a timer on a range? Duplicating the exact distances, ammo, targets, etc?

There's a point lurking there in my question. Does "I can't see it" mean that you have evaluated both with hands-on tests?

I actually tested both that way. The RDS was faster with the same accuracy, and I was able to duplicate that with three other shooters. What did your testing show?

And I don't shooting sporting clays. My shotguns are for angry people bent on doing me harm. If yours do double duty, rock on.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Have you tried running a red dot on a shotgun under a timer, and compared your accuracy and times to a set of ghost rings? With the same drills, distances, ammo and shotgun? I did so.

I've tried ghost rings and an Aimpoint H-1 in multiple classes and range sessions, and have found the H-1 to be faster and more accurate. What were your results when you tried the RDS?

I'm not picking on you, I'm just interested in your test results.
    Preach it my fellow MRDS training partner.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Have you tried running a red dot on a shotgun under a timer, and compared your accuracy and times to a set of ghost rings? With the same drills, distances, ammo and shotgun? I did so.

I've tried ghost rings and an Aimpoint H-1 in multiple classes and range sessions, and have found the H-1 to be faster and more accurate. What were your results when you tried the RDS?

I'm not picking on you, I'm just interested in your test results.
    Do you have a picture of your setup? I'd be interested to see how a T1 sits on a 590.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gtboy2k View Post
    Do you have a picture of your setup? I'd be interested to see how a T1 sits on a 590.
    I'd really like to see that too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OP, your question got lost in a debate about the value of an RDS on a shotgun. Mesa tactical has many options for an RDS including rails, and saddle carrier/rail combos.

Here is a saddle/rail combo that holds 4 rounds on my 870P. I haven't put an RDS on it yet, but I might try a T-1 in a low mount.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ps45d73b62.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DWood; 07-17-14 at 12:50.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post
    OP, your question got lost in a debate about the value of an RDS on a shotgun. Mesa tactical has many options for an RDS including rails, and saddle carrier/rail combos.

Here is a saddle/rail combo that holds 4 rounds on my 870P. I haven't put an RDS on it yet, but I might try a T-1 in a low mount.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ps45d73b62.jpg
    Interestingly enough, I ended up going with the Mesa Sureshell Carrier/Rail Combo. More for the better mounting option than using the Alternate mount.

Feedback Score
    There is a great article on this written by someone who has way more experience and knowledge then many of us on this topic. The title is "The thinking gun fighter". By J.D. McGuire
    Quick qoute.
    ". Sights. Here is where may people go wrong when selecting an HD shotgun. The best sight for you HD shotgun is a simple bead sight. It is the fastest sight to use and the most effective at close ranges. There are high visibility and tritium bead sights that enhance the effectiveness of this type of sight and these are fine with me. The trend is to go for “Tacti-cool” or as I call it “Tacti-fool” sights like Ghost ring sights or Optical sights. These sights can get you killed in a close quarters fight. Do not even think about them on a dedicated HD shotgun. In the type of situation you are going to use this weapon there is no time to find a threat in a small peep sight like the rear ghost ring sight. Optics are also a problem as they have to be turned on, they have batteries that can go dead and there is simply no need for them on a close quarters weapon."

Back to the original question. As others have stated mesa makes a nice mount but I feel it's a tad high and requires in my experience a higher comb on my stock. You can explore calling ATEi and asking about the mount they made for a rmr for a remington for Costa. It is a nice setup with no rail but looks like it is drilled and tapped the receiver for mounting.
    Last edited by KentuckyWindage; 07-30-14 at 14:45.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have two 590A1s, a GRS model and the SPX, which has a 1913 rail and elevated GRS sights. I have an RMR mounted on the SPX and I can use the sights through the RMR if needed. It's the only setup I would consider for optics on a 590A1.
    Disclaimer: I work for Suarez International as a customer service representative.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    These sights can get you killed in a close quarters fight. Do not even think about them on a dedicated HD shotgun. In the type of situation you are going to use this weapon there is no time to find a threat in a small peep sight like the rear ghost ring sight. Optics are also a problem as they have to be turned on, they have batteries that can go dead and there is simply no need for them on a close quarters weapon.
    So by that logic, we should all pull our optics off our carbines and rock irons when we do entries/CQB? Not tracking that. Don't tell me that a shotgun points naturally, or something about the spread of the shot. My carbine points very naturally for me, probably to the tune of 10,000+ reps of bringing it into firing position over the years, but I still want an optic on it given the option. At close range most shotgun shells don't pattern wide enough for you to not aim at the target.

We put optics on rifles for use at all distance because they are demonstrably faster then irons, particularly in the truly bad situations (low light, multiple bad guys, weird shooting positions). So why do we suddenly think they don't belong on a weapon system that's going to be employed in the same situations? Can you do good with just a front sight (ie bead), sure you just you could conceivably do with a carbine or pistol. I don't know anyone who would say its the best option to bet your life on.

-Jenrick

Feedback Score
    If you want to keep GRS and have a rail at the same time you might want to look at AimPro product. http://aimprotactical.com/aimpro_tac..._in_a_rail.htm. This is not a cheapest solution by any means, but it is really nice. A buddy of mine has one and I like it a lot I just wish I could afford one with RDS/MRDS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast