Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets talk handgun grip...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Lets talk handgun grip...

Ill be honest, I have never had any formal training with properly shooting handguns. I really need to some day. I have just looked at videos and tried to learn adapt.

So my question is this, which is the proper way I should be grabbing my handgun?

1. This is how I grab the guns I own naturally. This feels the most comfortable.

2. But should I be trying to adjust my grip more like this? It is less comfortable, but seems it might control recoil easier.

If that is the case, maybe I need to reconsider some of my firearm choices.

I just want to improve. Depending on which of these grips I use, one makes it easier to hit the mag release, the other makes it easier to reach the trigger.

I wear a medium size glove. I own a PPQ and USP Tactical 45.
    Last edited by mrvip27; 06-05-14 at 03:07.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In my opinion the high combat grip works best with thumbs straight forward.
    hgcombatg_100206d.jpg

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I guess what I am asking is if I have been holding my handguns wrong in my hand.

Feedback Score
    Ideally, the gun should be straight with the wrist, but don't get wrapped around the axle and over think it. The bigger issues are getting your hand high up as you can on the blackstrap, thumbs toward grip, and a straight to the rear trigger pull.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    In my opinion the high combat grip works best with thumbs straight forward.
    hgcombatg_100206d.jpg
    This. And grip your gun. Then open your left hand. Your fingers should be at a 45 degree angle to the plain of the gun.
    I'm a firm believer in "Truth" "Justice" and "The American Way". But, "The American Way" in which in I believe, is of "Days Past" probably before I was born. As this concept is always "evolving", I can't say I like where it is headed. Dan.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Ideally, the gun should be straight with the wrist, but don't get wrapped around the axle and over think it. The bigger issues are getting your hand high up as you can on the blackstrap, thumbs toward grip, and a straight to the rear trigger pull.
    So basically what I am showing in #2 vs #1?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvip27 View Post
    So basically what I am showing in #2 vs #1?
    Yes, that is the correct grip.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    If you are using a two handed iso stance the pistol will no longer be lined up with the forearm, correct?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImBroke View Post
    If you are using a two handed iso stance the pistol will no longer be lined up with the forearm, correct?
    Essentially, yes.

I spoke about this in the walther PPQ thread. THAT particular pistol as well as the Glock exacerbates the "issue".

In a perfect world where the pistol was able to mold to your hand yes, the bore being in line with your forearm bones would be ideal. Unfortunately, when you square off to the target, present the pistol and put two hands on it, if you have any bend in the elbow, no, your hand will NOT sit directly in the grip tang area.

Grip the pistol and present the sights to the target. Does the pistol line up properly or do you find that you are pointing left of the target? When I FORCE myself to seat the Glock grip tang into my hand in line with my wrist bones, I find that the sights point to the left of my POA. When I rotate the pistol in my grip to the right, ie like you have in your first picture, the pistol presents itself correctly, ie to my intended POA.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    start here Bob Vogel talks about grip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QhpvY9LZc

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast