Thread: Elzetta: Tailcap switch vs remote tape switch?

Feedback Score

Elzetta: Tailcap switch vs remote tape switch?

I'm thinking of picking up a Elzetta 900 lumen as a WML for my AR. I'm debating at the moment between a Hi/Lo tailcap vs a remote tape switch.

I want to go with the Hi/Lo tailcap because I can take it off my AR and use it as a regular flashlight when the need arises. But I'm wondering if remote tape switches are vastly superior? If they're about the same, I'd like to go with the tailcap button for the versatility, but if remote switches are ergonomically much better I suppose I'll have to go with that.

I'll probably mount the light like this if it matters:
    http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Vltor_001.jpg

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Well, here's my non-xpert opinion.

I have an Elzetta mounted in the same position as your picture, with the standard clicky tailcap at the end of a 9" rail. In such a position, you don't need the remote, because it's literally right next to your thumb and can be easily activated as needed. If you're running a 7" carbine rail in your picture, then you *definitely* do not need the tape switch as your hand will be all over the light.

The only way, IMO that you would need the remote switch is if you were going to mount the light on the right side of your rail, then running the remote either at 12 o'clock or 9 o'clock would enable you to get to it either with your support hand or ambidextrously.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    I've never found a setup where wires to a tapes switch didn't hang up on something. Branches, briars, chest rigs and vehicle mounts all have a way of finding excess wires on a carbine. I've also seen a number of "white light nd's" from tape switches. My favorite arrangement is either a handgun light(tlr, x300) or rifle wml(sf scout) on a magpul scout mount.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have an Elzetta Charlile 900lumen light with the clicky switch and I can't say I'm a fan of the switch. There's no tactile feedback when you go from momentary to constant on and the only way you'll know is if you consciously only push it in a bit, or you take your finger off and the light is still on. I'm not sure I'd want a switch like this on a fighting rifle.

I don't know if the hi/low clicky switch has the same lack of feel, but I'd try to find out.
    Last edited by Plasman; 06-18-14 at 01:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I prefer the tailcap personally, but has to be the recessed one. Its no good when someones pressure switch gets accidentally squeezed and lights you all up.