Thread: Mcrees or XLR chassis

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Mcrees or XLR chassis

Hello everyone,

I broke my Savage 10 FLCP-K (Left hand) .308 Accumark stock. So now I've decided to set the barreled action into a chassis system and make it a better bench gun.

I really like the AICS but it's a no go for a Savage. Mcrees and XLR seem to be the only manufacturers that make something for a left hand short action Savage. Of course I'm torn between the two.

If I went with the XLR I'd wait for the open barrel style "Element" to come out for my rifle which will be around the end of July according to XLRindustries. The XLR "Evolution" has the wrap around hand guard which I want to avoid for easier scope mounting. I currently have a set up that I know fits well over the open barrel. I'd like the Element to have the 14" hand guard though. We'll see if that becomes available too. The XLR's pretty much come in black only. I can live with that.

If I went with the Mcree it's a toss up between OD Green or FDE for the color. I'm leaning toward the OD green just because I see more and more FDE rifles and would like it to be a little different. The Mcree already has the 14" forearm available for sure.

Either way I want a solid chassis and not a folder.

Both chassis are in the same price range of $600-$700 once everything is said and done with grip, stock and magazine selection.

The Mcree seems to be a little more stout according to the general consensus of consumers who shoot Rem 700's. Therefore the Mcrees are a fraction heavier. But weight is not a concern for me since this gun has a bull barrel, 762-SDN-6 suppressor, and a 30 oz scope anyway.

The XLR's seem to be the go-to for the Savage crowd. Maybe because they've been available longer, or first, or because there are more stock options and overall styles with the element, evolution, and carbon series.

Nonetheless, I have a first world problem here and trying to make a decision. If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate their response. Even if it's as simple as "can't go wrong with either"

Thank you folks,

-Mike
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    you can't go wrong with either

i would say the mcree is a little more stout, but only because the xlr has the long wrap around forearm which has a little flex in it. i doubt the element will seem any less stout. though the cheek piece also is slightly flexible which actually makes it a bit more comfortable

the xlr only comes in black, but it is easy to cerakote or spray paint

i've had 2 of the XLR (left handed). good stuff

curious how you broke the factory stock though?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    you can't go wrong with either

i would say the mcree is a little more stout, but only because the xlr has the long wrap around forearm which has a little flex in it. i doubt the element will seem any less stout. though the cheek piece also is slightly flexible which actually makes it a bit more comfortable

the xlr only comes in black, but it is easy to cerakote or spray paint

i've had 2 of the XLR (left handed). good stuff

curious how you broke the factory stock though?
    Pretty sure you're talking about the evolution there, which I would avoid for that reason. I'm looking solely at the element because of the forearm design being like the Mcree.
    http://www.xlrindustries.com/publish...~element38.jpg

I broke the accumark stock while walking out of a raised box deer blind which had a real skinny staircase for access. (I'd rather have a ladder) My lazy fault because I had my backpack on one shoulder and rifle slung over the other. When I started down the stairs my bag hung up on the top of the handrail making me miss/flinch the next step. That's when I took a tumble completely over the opposite hand rail and off the stair case. Fell about 8 feet straight down with my rifle hitting flat on the gravel/rocky ground first then me onto it. Do not worry, the gun was unloaded. I shot it the next day and it was still zeroed. But honestly I never even noticed the stock was broke until a couple months later when I saw the crack under the bolt handle. Not sure if I missed it when I inspected everything after the fall or if it was weakened by the fall and then broke later. Lesson learned though.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Mcrees or XLR chassis

Not a savage or a left handed action but I will vouch for xlr. I like the element over the evo, it just feels lighter.

I'm not too sure about the flex so much. They all flex with enough force, no?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402186788.089658.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1402259109.925867.jpg
    Last edited by JustG45; 06-08-14 at 15:25. Reason: add picture

Feedback Score
    Mcree.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I was unsure myself and decided to go Mcree. I could not be happier with my decision. Excellent kit. Fit and finish is superb. I went with the folder and recommend it. Also, their 5 and 10 round mags have been flawless for me. Customer service was greet too and very fast, I cant say enough good things bout them.

Feedback Score
    If they make a Savage variant the KRG Whiskey chassis rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can't speak for the others but I have had an XLR for about 3 years now. I absolutely love the stock. It has a ton of adjustment to set it up perfect for you. I would not hesitate to buy another one. However I would imagine that any of the high end stocks would work fine. I would also like to throw in that XLR customer service is awsome.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies guys...I went with an XLR and do not regret it one bit. This thing fit right up, looks great and is very ergonomic. I was a little worried about my Harris bipod getting a good fit since it is made for a rounded stock and I thought this chassis would have a flat bottom. NOt the case as seen in these pics.

I did however want just a slightly lower cheek weld than this stock could offer. A quick call to Kyle at XLR and he sent me a new stock/tube adapter to get a lower setting FREE OF CHARGE! I can't explain how great his business is. He returns calls and e-mails swiftly, and he works with you and gets you what you want. Hats off to Kyle and XLR.

Now I'm just not sure of I want to leave this Bushnell 4.5-30X50 scope on this 308 or take my NF NXS 3.5-15X50 off of my Wby in 338-378 to put it on this Savage and put the 'nell onto the big Weatherby...?
    - Mark Twain