Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Masking Tape just ate away KMR's Black finish?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    I see a Gen II improved finish 15" KMR in the future.
    With an 18" LW profile stainless barrel to be combined on a complete upper.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Cool. I've been dying to see what the finish under the black looks like. Yeah... I'd hit it with some flat black paint and move on.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know why BCM just didn't use Cerakote for the color? Is it because they didn't want to add more time to the process by baking them?

The only reason I ask is because I cerakoted my KMR and I've added/removed/moved accessories all up and down the rail without any color removal.

I would love to know what BCM used for the color. Also, maybe it's not the coatings fault. Maybe it's normally durable but when applied over the Plasma Disposition process, it doesn't stick well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscenejesster View Post
    Maybe it's normally durable but when applied over the Plasma Disposition process, it doesn't stick well.
    That's my understanding of it. I've run my KMRs like any other handguard and only have a few spots on the sharpest part of a couple of the PIC rail's slot edge that are shiny.

I honestly expected the top finish to be worse from all the sky is falling posts earlier this year. I've got worse finish damage on the upper an lower from normal use.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    It is not an anodized finish. KMR rails are finished using a plasma deposition process that leaves the rail a light color. The black that peeled off was a color coating to make the rail a more standard color. The finish process closes the pores in the metal which keeps paint from sticking as well as anodizing sticks to aluminum.

A lot of this info is covered in the KMR discussion thread.
    I didn't follow the KMR thread, but thanks for the info. I assumed it was anodized like the majority of rails on the market.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's my understanding of it. I've run my KMRs like any other handguard and only have a few spots on the sharpest part of a couple of the PIC rail's slot edge that are shiny.

I honestly expected the top finish to be worse from all the sky is falling posts earlier this year. I've got worse finish damage on the upper an lower from normal use.
    Yea...I honestly can't comment on my experience with the finish since it was Cerakoted before put in use. Either way, its easily the best handguard I've ever used. It's weight and diameter did wonders on my RECCE build that has a heavier Stainless barrel. Now that rifle feels as light as other rifles of mine using light weight barrels and heavier handguards.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't know if the KMR is anodized or not, but anodizing simply turns the aluminum a dull grey. The color that you see is added after. If the color is part of the anodizing process, it's a dye applied after the part is anodized
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I don't know if the KMR is anodized or not, but anodizing simply turns the aluminum a dull grey. The color that you see is added after. If the color is part of the anodizing process, it's a dye applied after the part is anodized
    It's not anodized. They said it couldn't be anodized since 92% of the alloy is magnesium. They had to some Aerospace Plasma Disposition process (whatever that is) that they say is more durable and more resistant to corrosion than anodizing. The Plasma Disposition is done before the black coating is applied. I believe they said it was nearly clear so it can't be seen.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscenejesster View Post
    Does anyone know why BCM just didn't use Cerakote for the color? Is it because they didn't want to add more time to the process by baking them?

The only reason I ask is because I cerakoted my KMR and I've added/removed/moved accessories all up and down the rail without any color removal.

I would love to know what BCM used for the color. Also, maybe it's not the coatings fault. Maybe it's normally durable but when applied over the Plasma Disposition process, it doesn't stick well.
    My understanding is that Cerakote was not used because it really doesn't lend itself to production type manufacturing. Cerakote is very sensitive to part preparation, paint application, and the baking that is required. If any one of those is not done correctly then the Cerakote will be bad. It is more suited to one-at-a-time type application than getting parts out in quantity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    My understanding is that Cerakote was not used because it really doesn't lend itself to production type manufacturing. Cerakote is very sensitive to part preparation, paint application, and the baking that is required. If any one of those is not done correctly then the Cerakote will be bad. It is more suited to one-at-a-time type application than getting parts out in quantity.
    That's what I was thinking but I didn't know for sure.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast