Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New manufacturer out of Idaho (lightweight junkies come in)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Paying extra for a billet receiver is bad economy. Forged receivers are stronger

Welcome to the forums!

Put to whom and how your affiliated in your signature, give the mods a courtesy call which should allow you to answer questions. Then, put on your asbestos longjohns and strap in for a rollercoaster ride through Flaming Hell. It will be tough to sell most of the members of this forum on something just because it's new. The company and the product has to prove itself before it becomes accepted. The rule of thumb is "Shoot the Rifle" before passing judgement but the product has to offer something.

For example, the 2A lower is cut from a billet. It is known that AR receivers cut from a billet isn't as tough as a forged receiver. the billet piece has all it's grains running fore and aft and parallel to each other in the raw material. When the pockets for the magazine and trigger are machined out, the grain is interrupted, weakening the material.

A forging means the raw material is formed under pressure while in it's plastic state. The grains follow the new form. Yes, some are cut during the final machining process but more follow the form. Some of the grain is compressed, increasing the strength as long as the forging process does not create granular inclusions. (This is why AR receivers are forged from 7075 instead of 6061. Early receivers were forged from 6061 but that alloy is susceptible to granular inclusions which cause severe corrosion).

Hawking a product made using a process that produces a weaker part then weaken it further lightening cuts it and charge two to three times more than the stronger product to save just a few ounces is going to be tough job. Paying $480 for a billet upper & lower compared to roughly $200 for a quality forged upper & lower is bad economy

Thank you, I have updated my signature.

Understood 100% on everything said above. We realize the set is not for everyone, and it was not produced as a product to compete in a strength competition with forged options. Our goal was to get as close to the magnesium lightweight sets on the market, but retain the strength advantage of 7075 over the magnesium sets. Doing so takes a lot of machine time, so the price is reflected as such. It might fit in that category if your goal is a lightweight build.

I better get some permission to talk about the set here by the powers that be, before I get myself into trouble.

Thanks gentlemen.
    Founder and co-owner/operator at 2A-Armament

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Paying extra for a billet receiver is bad economy. Forged receivers are stronger
    True,...... for some. It's an individual choice about what is important and to each his own. Billet receivers are very popular with many people but they were never a product I was interested in. After running LMT, and then BCM factory rifles, I have a great appreciation for them. Now that I have started building my own rifles, I am buying high quality forged receivers for $60 to $120. When I was looking to build a lightweight rifle, this billet set made the most sense to me over polymer and cast magnesium alloy receivers. The Balios Lite will be very popular among lightweight builders, who already know that small weight savings cost more $$$$ than most would consider "worth it". This billet set will not make sense to many, especially many of the members here who are more about hard use, durable, and duty rifles. That's fine.

Worse economy is paying $250 for a very good forged lower when there are plenty of very good forged lower receivers available for 1/4 to 1/2 the price, but everybody gets to make their own choices.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I agree with many above. Some of these new start up companies like this one want a crazy amount of $$$ for a upper and lower when I can get a well known brand for a third of the price.
    Last edited by Hispanic_Hercules; 06-09-14 at 11:41.

Feedback Score
    Really doesn't matter how minutely stronger a forged lower is over a billet lower.

Both options are plenty strong for what they're function is. 7075 T6 and T7 is already some very strong stuff and no amount of abuse should break them.

If you want to get technical, I've actually seen more broken forged lowers than billet lowers due to people not knowing how to properly install a trigger guard. Billet lowers are idiot proof in that regard because 99% of them have the trigger guard machined.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Although I, personally would not buy this set, it is very interesting and innovative. This is, in part, what made America great (may she rest in peace). Regular people using their creativity and initiative to create new and innovative solutions. The market will weed out what products truly provide value and those that don't. I fully support any honest attempts to provide value to consumers. It might be a tough sell to many who frequent this site, but there are some who have and will continue to find that this set provides value to them. If you don't, then just don't buy it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscenejesster View Post
    Really doesn't matter how minutely stronger a forged lower is over a billet lower.

Both options are plenty strong for what they're function is. 7075 T6 and T7 is already some very strong stuff and no amount of abuse should break them.

If you want to get technical, I've actually seen more broken forged lowers than billet lowers due to people not knowing how to properly install a trigger guard. Billet lowers are idiot proof in that regard because 99% of them have the trigger guard machined.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    That's a different thing. Don't forget most billet receivers are heavier than forged. I just don't know how folks can justify spending more for a weaker, heavier receiver as a good option. Billets don't shoot any better, they aren't any more reliable or durable, they don't run cooler or cleaner, they just run more money
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redmist View Post
    I better get some permission to talk about the set here by the powers that be, before I get myself into trouble.
    Per our PM traffic....

Having provided your affiliation with the company, you're good to go to answer any and all questions posed. We require disclosure as one among many ways to prevent shills who artificially create/inflate any traffic about any given thingamabob, is all.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Per our PM traffic....

Having provided your affiliation with the company, you're good to go to answer any and all questions posed. We require disclosure as one among many ways to prevent shills who artificially create/inflate any traffic about any given thingamabob, is all.
    Understood sir,

I am happy to answer any questions anyone might have regarding anything from 2A, and to the best of my ability.

Thanks,

Ryan
    Founder and co-owner/operator at 2A-Armament

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redmist View Post
    Understood sir,

I am happy to answer any questions anyone might have regarding anything from 2A, and to the best of my ability.

Thanks,

Ryan
    Off topic a bit, but still relevant to the interest people have in your products... If nothing else, I am impressed with how you handled your presence in this thread. If you apply the same ethical standards to the rest of your business, you'll serve your customers very well.
    aka, "TWANGnBANG"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It does look like a nice set compared to all the other gaudy billet lowers out there. Personally I'd stick to forged lowers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    If you can't pick your shit up at 3pm or 0300 and it's configured to get it done 0-400m in seconds, sideways, upside down, or unstable... your a daylight range clown.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast