Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Gun set for a beginner

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    I'm looking at just getting started. I've seen the 3 gun matches on the Sportsman's Channel. I want to see how I do cause the better you get with using your gear the faster the time. So ultimately I want to win one.
    That's what talking about!

Attend a match and ask a lot of questions. Ask to check out everyone wakes guns and gear and ask them why they use what they use. There are very few guns or pieces of gear that are must have. Lots of options and opinions out there.

As was said earlier you're gear will get you through a match but you will soon be upgrading shotgun and shell Caddy's.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I also have a Colt SP1 AR-15A1 rifle. Is that a good gun to use?
    That's an excellent choice.

Feedback Score
    A gun cart makes the day a lot more bearable too. Get a used golf pull cart or jogging stroller and attach Kolpin gun holders for your rifle and shotgun, and use the cargo space for ammo can+ cooler for snacks and drinks. It beats carrying all that stuff around on your shoulders while ya got everything else to deal with.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also have a Colt SP1 AR-15A1 rifle. Is that a good gun to use?
    Style points for that.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I'd highly recommend going to a local match and watching how they do things before buying any gear. Matches and gear requirements can vary widely from match to match.

For example....
    -One local match is held at a range with only pistol bays (so you don't need any magnification on your rifle) and always has two stages that are shotgun only (so you better be ready to do a lot of loading).
    -Another local match shoots rifle out to 500 yards every month but almost never has any shotgun reloading. In fact, all their stages allow you to shoot the shotgun arrays with your pistol. And if you're a good with a pistol you'll do better to not even bring a shotgun.

Show up early to help set up, stay busy resetting targets and you'll have no trouble being able to borrow gear to try out.

I'd also recommend starting with a few pistol matches first. They're less gear dependent and are a great way to get used to stage planning and how matches run. And you'll never be a winning 3Gunner if you're not a good pistol shot anyway.
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The first step is showing up
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    . . .
    Last edited by Moltke; 06-17-15 at 13:07.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ditch the Glock for a CZ75 / P0-1

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    OP- You didn't specify, so I'll ask... What are your goals for shooting match? Mission drives the gear.
    He's talking ultimate goal - if I personally were to do three-gun, I would just be seeing how I can do running stages as though they were well-set up training scenarios with gear I already have; I would suck but I would improve at what I ultimately want to be good at - running my own stuff.
    What it YOUR ultimate goal for participating in three-gun competition?
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Getting a competitive shotgun and shotgun support gear will be a larger performance gap-closer with regard to equipment than the difference between a 6920 and a built for purpose JP rifle, assuming that skill and optics are equal.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast