Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 Gun set for a beginner

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    He's talking ultimate goal - if I personally were to do three-gun, I would just be seeing how I can do running stages as though they were well-set up training scenarios with gear I already have; I would suck but I would improve at what I ultimately want to be good at - running my own stuff.
    What it YOUR ultimate goal for participating in three-gun competition?
    Winning!

Feedback Score
    Looking at getting an all around semi auto shotgun for general shooting, skeet, and 3 gun.

Got about 800, what do you guys recommend?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

3 Gun set for a beginner

There are a lot of good choices for 3gun shotguns right now.

The Benelli M2 is still the gold standard for 3gun. Here's a few other guns I'm seeing more at matches:

Beretta 1301
    Remington Versamax
    Browning A5
    Benelli Vinci

Don't be tempted by the price of the Mossberg 930 JM Pro. Some run great, but it seems like they all go down at some point.

The Beretta 1301 is probably the best value for an out of the box 3gun shotgun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by coctomus View Post
    Looking at getting an all around semi auto shotgun for general shooting, skeet, and 3 gun.

Got about 800, what do you guys recommend?
    You could also look into a Stoeger 3000. A 3gun version is coming out any day. But even a standard 24" is workable. I believe Nordic is making mag tubes for it now.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I just started shooting 3 gun and USPSA. Don't worry about your ranking just yet. It is a great time however!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm doing another 3gun event this coming weekend. I'm no expert in any way; I go for the training and to learn/improve my handling and shooting skills.

Pump shotguns are fine to start with. Work on your reloads and you will cut time. Shotties are suprisingly easy to use and hitting targets with even a standard 870 or 500 is doable.
    Pistols are pretty basic--use one that has good sights and enough capacity in case you miss a few targets (no subcompact pistols if possible since they will be harder to use).
    I'm usually most efficient with rifles since I train with that more. As mentioned, use a rifle that is lighter and suited for the stages you will run. No need for any fancy setups. A good optic with BUIS should suffice. What's more important are your shooting skills. One of the 3gun events I went to, there was a guy running an AK and he was hitting targets up to 200yards easily...

Here's a good vid with some tips from the man himself Jerry M
    https://youtu.be/BRvYtEuJhxA

Feedback Score
    After getting a correct shot shell caddy that I like, I'm going to my first completion, wish me luck this Saturday.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Be safe, do well, and have fun!

Feedback Score
    I had fun at my first competition. Came in 6 out of 20. I did so well after practicing with my shotgun on reloads and clearing malfunctions. My guns I ran with was a modded 11-48, my glock 17 and my Colt SP1. The guys there thought it was cool that I did better with my Irons compared to their eo-techs and aim points at 10-300 yards. Surprising most people were the slowest with their shotguns.
    Last edited by ClassIIIGunsmith; 03-29-15 at 16:35.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123