Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expired CAT/ E bandage?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm sure most of us store one tourniquet somewhere that's out and exposed for fast deployment. Even then, my kit sometimes sit in a hot Texas car for periods of time so that's something we should take into consideration.

Feedback Score
    Sunlight BAD... I keep mine in holders where they are protected from the sun and inspect them every 3 months or whenever I'm changing things out. I have yet to find one that I would not use on myself besides the one that was in the big bag and some hydrogen peroxide leaked on and discolored. They're cheap enough so I threw it away and replaced with another.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Everything to be used in a medical setting must have an expiration date per government regulations. I've seen exp-by dates on tongue depressors.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So apologies if this is off topic or not in keeping with the intent of this thread, but what are everyone's thoughts on the granulated Quikclot? I have a couple of packages that I'm hesitant to throw away. Is there anyone that still uses them or do they have some utility for my kit that I'm not aware of?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tsalagi88 View Post
    So apologies if this is off topic or not in keeping with the intent of this thread, but what are everyone's thoughts on the granulated Quikclot? I have a couple of packages that I'm hesitant to throw away. Is there anyone that still uses them or do they have some utility for my kit that I'm not aware of?
    If it's the old granulated quickclot from around 10 years ago, do not use it. Throw it away. That product is known for burning patients and has not be made available for a long time. Nobody uses them anymore nor is it recommended. For a good hemostatic look at Quick Clot Gauze, Celox or Hemcon/Chitogauze.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    If it's the old granulated quickclot from around 10 years ago, do not use it. Throw it away. That product is known for burning patients and has not be made available for a long time. Nobody uses them anymore nor is it recommended. For a good hemostatic look at Quick Clot Gauze, Celox or Hemcon/Chitogauze.
    Noted. Yea, It's the old stuff. I was afraid it was no bueno but i wanted to make sure before I pitched it. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Everything to be used in a medical setting must have an expiration date per government regulations. I've seen exp-by dates on tongue depressors.
    Not necessarily, I have seen syringes and non sterile gloves with a exp date and syringes/gloves without a exp date. It does have to say it is sterile and the blurb about unbroken/undamaged packaging. It is the joyous time where I have been checking outdates.

(previous vol FF/EMT-B, EMT-B, Surgical Tech, ER tech, now in a clinic)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's worth noting that the Gen 7 CATs have an updated buckle that no longer needs to be looped back through for leg application.

Probably a good reason to update anyway...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd get a new tourniquet if I were you. With respect to the previous posters who said to keep things in original packaging, this is not the best practice. Attempting to remove plastic wrap with your hands covered in blood is not easy (not from personal experience, but in training- hands covered in liquid to simulate)

Recommend removing your TQ from the packaging and setting up the best way you can so that you can deploy it single handedly and not have to remove from packaging. And get a new one when it expires. The new ZRDelta Halo I was able to check out at SHOT (when commercially available) will be a great option.
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    Government requires an expiration date, like FF gear, recommend 10 year replacement, if it has never been used, its all about the attorneys and covering your ass... I have personally used expired CATS with success on traumatic injuries to a motorcyclist, he lost limbs but lived because we were able to stop the blood lose(used 3 on him-1 on each leg and 1 to an arm).. I carry several in my POV and my FD has since issued CATS to all our active FF since the last motorcycle accident where we saved the female operator's life by applying one to her severely injured leg.. we have two saves in our FD as a result of applying personally owned CATS..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast