Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tactical"/EDC AA Handheld Lights- What To Get?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

"Tactical"/EDC AA Handheld Lights- What To Get?

Looking into some standard AA battery powered handheld lights.
    Intended use is everything from "tactical" on my "battle rattle" (lol), to EDC, to "around the house/work" everyday use.

Looking for something that runs either 1 or 2 AAs- so if brand A makes a great single AA light, and brand B makes a great 2x AA light, feel free to list them both.

"Tactical" uses dictates it needs to be able to fit in a flapped pistol pouch.
    EDC, means it needs to have a GOOD pocket clip that won't bend after minor use.
    Needs to be able to get clobbered and still work- I've been through a couple walmart specials, and they generally suck.
    Super-high lumen count is not imperative, but it needs to have a base of over 100 lumens (so, 110-180 or somewhere in between). However, higher lumen count is ok as long as...
    Needs to have a reasonable runtime on a reasonable lumen output-frankly runtime is a little more imperative than huge lumens.
    Needs to have a CLICK on/off switch- to hell with the stupid twist heads and momentary switches....
    A somewhat shielded tailcap switch would be nice too.
    Needs to have a "low" mode.
    Around the $50-60 range in price.

I was really liking the 4-sevens Quark 2AA Pro- does everything I want, plus is modular so I can use the fullsize 2AA model for "tactical" and then turn it into a 1AA model for EDC, has high and low modes, etc...
    The problem is, there's SO many modes, and I hate having to cycle to find what I want or wonder which mode I last had it on that the flashlights memory will remember and auto-on when I press the switch...
    I really only need four modes for a light- High, Low, On, Off.

So what have you guys found to work well within these parameters?
    Last edited by Jellybean; 06-14-14 at 12:53.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    I have to strongly recommend that you look at Streamlight's ProTac line of lights. I prefer to carry Surefire, but if I need to carry something in 2AA, 1AA, or 2AAA, I think Streamlight ProTac lights meet all of your stated requirements.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You don't have to cycle the Quark. Review the interface.

There are many modes available, but you can only use two at a time. They are dictated by the bezel being tight or loose. On/off only from the rear tailcap, no modes to get lost in there. You program what you want for "head tight" and "head loose" and the light remembers those.

I came into the thread to recommend Quark, reading your list only confirms it. It meets everything you need. I have carried a 2x AA for a while and been very happy with it. I keep the head tight for high mode, and with a quick twist go to a 25-50 lumen low. Mundane tasks get low to conserve batteries, but high is always available.

I use mine for daily EDC and EMS work and it has performed perfectly. These are really good lights. Mine has been dropped in swamps, covered in blood, dropped on concrete, disinfected in bleach and a host of other abuse.

A set of Eneloop AA's and charger make it even better. I am completely happy with mine. I am the type that researches shit way more than I probably should. Seriously, Quark owns the AA EDC market for our purposes, IMO.

Fenix makes a quality light as well, but their switching sucks for my needs. You need to turn the light on in order to adjust modes. When I draw it from my pocket, I want to be able to dictate the mode before I turn it on. If I need low, blasting high first makes no sense. Then, you'd have to cycle back through all of them for the Fenix to
    "remember" the high mode to put back in your pocket.

For a frame of reference, I have many Surefire lights and trust their durability 100%, the problem is so far they have ignored the slim EDC market for my needs.
    Last edited by TomF; 06-14-14 at 14:20.
    The opinions posted above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Feedback Score
    I know the brand isn't as mainstream as others, but my Coast G19 uses AA's, very durable and pretty bright (60 Lumens?) with a good pocket clip and is very light. I would recommend it without a second thought. Very cheap to boot! It isn't a surefire by any means but it definitely gets the job done.
    -Brian-

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I did a review on some Streamlight flashlights, including the protac 2AA and the HL.

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/12/st...c-1aa-and.html

I would recommend the Protac 2AA. I carry one everyday still, and it works really well.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommO View Post
    I have to strongly recommend that you look at Streamlight's ProTac line of lights. I prefer to carry Surefire, but if I need to carry something in 2AA, 1AA, or 2AAA, I think Streamlight ProTac lights meet all of your stated requirements.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    I'll second these! I have been using a pro tac 2l at work daily for over a year and love it. The only gripe I have was with the nylon holster it came with. I made one out of kydex and it works well.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-mh1a-smo.html

Nitecore MH1A, runs on a single AA or rcr14500 lithium. Can recharge via the micro USB port. Very bright and durable too. DH loves his and uses it (outside telco tech) daily in his work.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I bought my wife a Quark, but went with the cr123 and now I like it SO much I think I will get one also. I wanted something that offered dual modes without the requirement of clicking through and needing to remember what the default mode was saved at. The clip is been durable so far and it is small and light.

I like to set it to low/medium mode and use it for most tasks, bright enough, but not to bright. And super bright, if I really need to throw some light at something. Switching between the 2 modes only requires a twist of the bezel.

I looked at the SL ProTac, I believe the deciding factor was being able to set 2 modes and only needing to twist the bezel to switch between the 2.

Feedback Score
    I've been carrying a stream light protac 1AA for over a year. I think either the 1 or 2AA protac models will fit your needs perfectly. They're great lights, and excellent warranty as well.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    123 batts for all tactical apps but for EDC, a single AA light has a nice form factor and I can just drop into a stop-and-rob for replacement batts. some of the newer ones can push 100 lumens pretty easy.

for outdoors (camping, etc.), I want a 2 x AAA light so it's lighter and has common batts with my headlamp. something with some power and more of a spot beam for reaching out past my headlamp.Streamlight ProTac is well though of but a little weak at 80 lumens.

I found the 4 SEVENS Preon2 -- http://www.foursevens.com/product_in...oducts_id=3184

192 lumens from 2- AAA. it's probably durable enough but looks like it belongs more in the breast pocket of a lab coat than outdoors.

any others?..
    Last edited by ra2bach; 07-09-14 at 11:25.
    never push a wrench...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast