Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Tactical"/EDC AA Handheld Lights- What To Get?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Yeah, the Fenix LD's were on the short list, but then I started reading about some issues with them over on CP forum, so....
    what were the issues?

to be honest if you're willing to go to a single cell 123, i haven't been able to find anything better than a fenix pd22. i've tried. it's simple to use, tail cap clicky (because twists are terrible), has the "menu" button that scrolls through all the lighting options, but doesn't require you to tap in some combination on the tail cap clicky, and it's cheap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    what were the issues?

to be honest if you're willing to go to a single cell 123, i haven't been able to find anything better than a fenix pd22. i've tried. it's simple to use, tail cap clicky (because twists are terrible), has the "menu" button that scrolls through all the lighting options, but doesn't require you to tap in some combination on the tail cap clicky, and it's cheap.

I own both and the Zebralight is a much better light than the Fenix, also uses an AA that are much cheaper and can be found in any store. I use Eneloops or GP Recykos, either are THE AA battery to use. Just my opinion on both of course.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In that price range, the Fenix lights have worked for out very well for me.

The E21 was intended to be a cheap, beater light, and has well exceeded my expectations. I expected a cheap light to not give a crap about, and has never given me a single issue. It's been a solid performer, especially considering the price.

It's been dropped, submerged, thrown, and generally neglected, and is still working.
    This has been my experience with my Fenix light as well. I have an old L1D that I've been EDCing for several years. It's been beat to shit and still works 100%. Not a single issue ever.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I am carrying an older Feinx E11, it's been in my pocket for about five years now and love the little thing. It's bright, 110 lumns and tough as hell.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Ok I realize the following is not an AA light, but it does most everything I need it to in a edc role and all for 20$. Stream light stylus pro.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-66.../dp/B0015UC17E

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
    I am carrying an older Feinx E11, it's been in my pocket for about five years now and love the little thing. It's bright, 110 lumns and tough as hell.
    I went on a little bit of a flashlight buying binge over black friday...

I just got an E12. I am very impressed. For such a little light that thing has quite an output.
    The tailcap tap-switch for modes is ok- not perfect, but ok. Wish it had a pocket clip.

I also got a LD41 as a gift for another person- now THAT is a hell of a light, for an AA powered light. And the mode switching on a separate button *with* memory is great. So simple to use. Unfortunately way to big for use on your tactical kit...

The Fenix E25 is better, but..... while a great thrower (50 yard visibility in light rain/fog EASILY), it is like running a stage light- you get a great beam, but no peripheral spill. Also the side button, while pretty simple, is gay. Testing out the various lights I picked up, I ALWAYS find myself trying to press a tailcap on the thing that isn't there- especially if drawing from a pouch, you can't get it on immediately. And I don't know how to explain it, but it holds weird in your hand if you try to keep your finger on the button. Probably a great around the house "bump in the yard" light if you live out in the country though; however.... the LD41 pretty much kills it for that use, except for battery capacity.

I also got a Nitecore SRT3. It's darn near perfect for what I'm looking for. Pocket clip is actually done right, love the dual battery option, love the control ring.
    The red/blue blinky lights are gay as hell, but otherwise it's perfect, and the red LED mode is actually pretty good- saves me the bother of having to buy an extra slip-over filter. It actually has a pretty good beam- you can get 50 yard visibility with the AA (more like a 40 yard light- but you *can* ID a person/dog/cat out to 50 or so), but it also has a great spill- lights up darn near the whole yard like a spotlight. I think that's pretty great- most lights I've had are either great spotters like the E25, or so "spilly" that it has literally no range. On CR123 mode, it's a 50 yard light easily AND makes a backyard look like day. It's really great.
    Except..... It a little expensive, and I have not heard totally positive things about Nitecore's longevity- in fact they seem to have quite the rep for crapping out due to poor internal electronics. For a $70-80 buck light, damn thing had better be bombproof.
    So not sure what I'm going to do with it, unfortunately. Kind of bummed on the durability.

Anybody have any input on their experiences with Nitecore in general or the SRT3?
    Last edited by Jellybean; 12-24-14 at 20:59.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I just ordered one of these. I want one for flying for the SOS, ultra high/low and memory settings. It is also compact. It may replace my E2D 125 Lumen flashlight as my EDC.

http://www.fenixlighting.com/product...lashlight.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

My EDC "hot rod" Quark QTA shown next to my SF Peacekeeper.

I'm running the 780-lumen QT2L-X Burst Mode head with an AW 14500 IMR high current rechargeable battery, Quark deep carry pocket clip and DIY finger lanyard. The amount of light this set up produces is beyond belief considering it's small size. Here is a chart that shows the output vs. runtime of this setup;

With the 780-lumen burst mode programmed for the head tightened to the body, I have the medium setting programmed for when the head is loosened. Medium mode on the QT2L-X head is 55 lumens, which in combination with the very wide beam pattern is really a very usable amount of light. In fact, I find this setting perfect for about 95% of my use of the light. On the single IMR 14500 cell, there is nearly four hours of continuous run time on the medium setting.

You can also power a stock QTA with a TI 14505 3.0 volt lithium battery and get 246 lumens out of it (for those who aren't interested in recharging batteries). Standard AA battery produces 130 lumens.

I also own a Streamlight ProTac 1AA which is an excellent light. Though it can't hold a candle to the QTA in terms of output, I have more confidence in hammering away at something with it.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommO View Post
    I have to strongly recommend that you look at Streamlight's ProTac line of lights. I prefer to carry Surefire, but if I need to carry something in 2AA, 1AA, or 2AAA, I think Streamlight ProTac lights meet all of your stated requirements.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    This☝☝
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    I just want to mention that the ProTac line now comes with a much improved pocket clip. The old version had short, stubby arms that barely wrapped around and a straight edge that didn't seat well against the end cap. The new version's arms are much longer, and it has a notch that seats well against the end cap. The clip was my only real complaint with the line, and now it's been almost completely fixed.
    I found that if you slap a Ranger band on clip it really keeps in place.
    ETA: Canonshooter, I'm defiantly going to give finger lanyard a try on Protac 1L.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 12-31-14 at 20:00.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast