Thread: Shot Peen Method

Feedback Score

Shot Peen Method

Hello I'm new here and this is my first post so forgive me if this is a dumb question. What is the difference if a bolt is shot peened in a fixture or a rotating drum? Advantages/disadvantages etc. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Nobody has a answer to this?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well... there are a lot of different standards for shot peening. They all do the same thing more or less. Those standards are SAE standards and are standard across all manufacturing. The .mil has a standard which is also an SAE standard as well.

As long as the process meets the specific standard there wouldn't be any difference. Ultimately the process just dimples the surface to reduce compressive stress.

To give an idea how "techie" the shot peen standards are this is the SAE version of the .mil standard.

http://www.metalimprovement.com/AMS-S-13165.php

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalpie View Post
    Well... there are a lot of different standards for shot peening. They all do the same thing more or less. Those standards are SAE standards and are standard across all manufacturing. The .mil has a standard which is also an SAE standard as well.

As long as the process meets the specific standard there wouldn't be any difference. Ultimately the process just dimples the surface to reduce compressive stress.

To give an idea how "techie" the shot peen standards are this is the SAE version of the .mil standard.

http://www.metalimprovement.com/AMS-S-13165.php
    ...and yet people wonder at why the military is reticent to adopt an entire new whatever, lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    ...and yet people wonder at why the military is reticent to adopt an entire new whatever, lol
    And this is also a big reason that "Hobby Gun" makers tend to just push out parts that may or may not meet a standard like that. This one is 20+ pages for just one part; just think how long it would be for the complete BCG.
    -David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score

Shot Peennig

Mil-S-13165 was taken over by SAE several years ago and became AMS-S-13165. Then it was cancelled and superseded by AMS 2430.
    AMS 2430 bans the use of batch, tumble, drum peening UOS by the cognizant engineering organization i.e. Colt.

We shot peen thousands of bolts and extractors a year for this weapon in various calibers but primarily .223. Each part is individually shot peened meeting the requirements of AMS 2430.

www.peentech.com
    Last edited by shotpeen; 01-13-12 at 09:38.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I guess you need to trust a guy who goes under the username "shotpeen".
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v