Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CS Buffer Spring

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

CS Buffer Spring

I just received a Chrome Silicon Buffer Spring from Brownells.
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...ICON%20SPRINGS

When I took out the spring, it seemed a bit long to me. So, I looked a bit closer at the specs listed on the website and saw:

"AR-15 spring is 15½" (39.4cm) long. Fits both fixed and collapsible stocked AR-15 rifles and carbines without modification to spring or gun."

Hmmm. A Buffer Spring that works in both? Is this possible? I haven't got my kit yet to put it all together, but I got a H-buffer and I'm a little worried about function. Should I be concerned?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I could swear that Tubb used to make a CAR length and a rifle length CS spring. If you use that really long one you posted I dump the H buffer and get a CAR buffer.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Damn That's what I was figuring. So here's the big dilema. Since I have this loooonge CS Sping and the H Buffer which is best?

Should I use the standard Spring and the H-Buffer or the CS looong spring and the standard car buffer?

BTW, this spring is a unique flat spring.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd ditch the CS spring and just replace the standard spring every 3-5 thousand rounds. I buy the COLT springs from Brownells.

I tried one of those CS springs, and it caused more problems than it was worth.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    demigod,
    This isn't the first time that I've heard this. I decided to call David Tubb's (Spring Manufacturer) and I explained my situation. They told me that the spring was designed for handloaders that are shooting heavy bullets. The product description for Brownells does not say this! they included that with a CAR length (and NO heavy buffer) that I might have short-stroke issues w/ 55 & 62 gr. factory ammo. His advice was to trim three coils of the spring for CAR use, more if necessary. Geez, the wait and see and trim to the right length just about outweighs any benefit this spring might have.

So, I think it'll make the most sense to run a heavy buffer with the standard CAR spring.

I think I might hold noto it and use it for a standard AR rifle eventually.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wasn't using Tubb's spring. I can't remember which brand it was, but it was a relatively cheap learning experience.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Most all CS springs I have seen (ISMI/Tubbs) and (Tactical Spring Company) are slightly longer than a mil-spec buffer spring. This should NOT be an issue with a gun that has a carbine gas system. The H buffer should also work with the spring you bought.

Worse case scenario is that the weapon short strokes and you cut 1-2 links off the spring (no big deal).

The reason to use a CS spring is that normal buffer springs typically last for 3-5K. Now if you are REALLY up to speed with counting rounds and doing PM's on your gear, then just buy a cheap $5 spring. Reality though is that most people have ZERO IDEA how many rounds are run throug their weapons. CS springs basically gurantees that you will never have to change a buffer spring ever again.

As a very busy person that likes to shoot a lot, I like this idea the best.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    In my instance, it was a carbean gas system with an H buffer. I could definitely feel the diff in spring tension just by pulling the charging handle back.

My original spring was probably near or over the 5k mark, and I was getting an occasional unexplained malf. So I decided to try a CS. Malfs were instant and obvious with a couple different kinds of ammo. Short stroking, FTEs, and all of that mess.

(Hmmm.. I'll have to measure it against a new Colt buffer spring when I get home.)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    demigod,
    Would you mind posting the length of the standard CAR buffer spring and the length of your CS spring. I'm curious. Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, Grant. I'm not doubting your experience or expertise, or anyone else's for that matter. I'm just interested to know the length stuff.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sure. I have a brand new COLT spring still in the bag. I'll have to dig out that CS spring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast