Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you ready for the next shortage?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Having gobbs of Hollow point pistol makes zero sense to me. Stocking practica ammo? Ok. But if you're needing to shoot THAT much hollow point, you'd have moved to a Rifle anyway.

HP pistol ammo is the lowest priority of all to me. I have like 2 L.E. boxes of Gold dots, and a few mags loaded here and there. That's all.
    I still like to rotate every few months.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't even shoot pistol every few months. I might rotate every few years.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The only bad thing about being stocked up is when you die your closest people get it. That day comes closer every second that goes by.

Feedback Score
    Having gobbs of Hollow point pistol makes zero sense to me. Stocking practica ammo? Ok. But if you're needing to shoot THAT much hollow point, you'd have moved to a Rifle anyway.

HP pistol ammo is the lowest priority of all to me. I have like 2 L.E. boxes of Gold dots, and a few mags loaded here and there. That's all.
    Perhaps I should say 100-200 rds HP per person on hand and the rest practice. Yeah I too don't have that much HP around right now, but I have found that to avoid issues of setback (I carry .40 as well as 9x19), moisture from sweat, and other related ills I shoot the round out of the chamber every other time I practice with my daily carry guns. Well, multiply that times however many range trips a year and that's more than nothing, and then multiply that times multiple years then when adding in extra people then well, future demand DOES say that a couple hundred rounds to cover that makes a little more sense. (However perhaps a future scenario that would restrict supply would probably be correlated to fewer shooting opportunities as well.) But you're right, that's only a small fraction of total ammo to produce and sock away and use in regular functions today--but I'm seeing that it does matter and could be overlooked if not accounted for.

Why is it important, versus a rifle with mags full of 5.56 or .308 that's clearly harder hitting and with more reach? Because a sidearm is what you're most likely to have with you on your person when a bad scenario happens, as daily life is what happens before and up until that does. For me in the life I live now, it's what can fit in a pocket or under a shirt and/or sweater vest and a spare mag looking like a candy bar or cell phone in the pocket that's going to count for that, and I can expect the same for my future sons and daughters as a practical life thing. I can't just hit pause and conveniently adjourn any and all calamity until I am ready for it or gaze into my crystal ball and immediately know exactly which days I should either be at the range or near my safe when major historical events go down, and being this isn't Israel I can't do the IDF thing and have my AR slung on my shoulder while I go get my hair cut, pay the water bill, etc. without being like those Open Carry Texas guys. If I were old enough to have had a kid turning 18 or 21 today, I would be handing them a nice daily carry gun with some mags and holster, carry ammo for the mags plus extras to replace rounds that get rotated out, and practice ammo, for the same reasons as I do: live life undisturbed, peacefully with preparedness instead of denial. So basically I'm thinking of a time capsule for that occasion.

As for pistol shooting vs. rifle, I try to get to the range at least every other week to shoot pistol because I like it, it's the cheapest thing for me to shoot, and it's the skill I think I have the farthest to go towards improving. I couldn't in good conscience not try to work on it. And again, rifle I shoot for skill, hobby interest, socialization with other enthusiasts, hunting/pest control, and bad historical event prevention/mitigation, but that's all luxury compared to personal self and family bodyguard duty. I've shot a handful of matches so far and have become aware of how vastly far behind I am so many other people. It seems the most perishable type of shooting skill and the most temperamental, like golf which also constantly reminds me of how far behind I get and it's embarrassing to do less well at it than the person in front of me at the time.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 07-24-14 at 00:30.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like to keep a good amount of high end sd ammo for both the rifle and pistol, but I figure in my life right now im more likely to use the pistol. So I keep more than markm because I like to shoot a magazine of carry ammo occasionally as a refresher.

So if I shoot a magazine, and I only have 100-150 rounds. I have expended around 10 percent of what I have. I do not stock pile crates of the stuff but I like to know if I run through a few mags its only 2-3% of what I have on hand.

Living in ca I dont get to use standard capacity mags. I have to use those under capacity mags. If the rifle ever comes out for anything other than 4 legged animals something has gone very wrong in this country.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    Why is it important, versus a rifle with mags full of 5.56 or .308 that's clearly harder hitting and with more reach? Because a sidearm is what you're most likely to have with you on your person when a bad scenario happens, as daily life is what happens before and up until that does. For me in the life I live now, it's what can fit in a pocket or under a shirt and/or sweater vest and a spare mag looking like a candy bar or cell phone in the pocket that's going to count for that, and I can expect the same for my future sons and daughters as a practical life thing. I can't just hit pause and conveniently adjourn any and all calamity until I am ready for it or gaze into my crystal ball and immediately know exactly which days I should either be at the range or near my safe when major historical events go down, and being this isn't Israel I can't do the IDF thing and have my AR slung on my shoulder while I go get my hair cut, pay the water bill, etc. without being like those Open Carry Texas guys.
    I understand that. My point is simply that if you're running through hundreds of rounds of hollowpoint ammo getting into shoot outs every week... the situation HAS erroded into long gun carry.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got a notification from Midway the other day for 8#'s of Varget. Of course they were already OOS when I clicked on the link. Curious if anyone got in on it in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Varget is a killer. Strangest thing ever. If I have a dime for every guy who's using Varget where there's another, BETTER option for him, I'd be damned rich.

Pappabear got an 8# and 2 1#s of XBR 8208. Varget can't be too far behind. The powders we are finding are May of 2014 production..... so it looks like there's a couple month lag to retail.
    Last edited by markm; 07-25-14 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I got a notification from Midway the other day for 8#'s of Varget. Of course they were already OOS when I clicked on the link. Curious if anyone got in on it in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Got the same notice, but no joy.

Feedback Score
    I understand that. My point is simply that if you're running through hundreds of rounds of hollowpoint ammo getting into shoot outs every week... the situation HAS erroded into long gun carry.
    Oh I quite agree, but not quite the scenario I'm foreseeing, or at least not at first. More thinking of a few decades of 15-40 weekend a year range trips each requiring at least one chamber clearing shot and occasional mag clearing to keep the pocket lint and sweat salt from degrading the quality of scum repellent. The needing multiple mags of hollow points ISN'T the every day occurrence, BUT having such supply available on top of expected use is something more than one thinks. Again, "go time" isn't likely a scenario which announces itself in advance, so I'm thinking the 50-100 rounds a year AND the SHTF supply both when said future sons and daughters may be living in an apartment or other place where suitable storage of a long gun is inconvenient and/or conspicuous. Worse, and history has examples of this, scenarios where possessions may be searched and having a long gun might mean you've got more problems to deal with, but making it a pistol means you get to hide it and keep it and survive what comes next when most are disarmed. Whatever combination of all kinds of life inconveniences is exactly the one that happens it doesn't matter: any of the many can exclude a long gun from being there for when the need arises, and that need can be brief or it can be long--and the lack of covering that need has the same result regardless of the means by which it comes about.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 07-25-14 at 23:12.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast