Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Are you ready for the next shortage?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Based on reports here, I am interested in using someWolf primers for load development on a precision 5.56 AR rig. Hunting down some Lapua brass for that now.
    No need for Lapua Brass in my experience. Maybe if I was going to compete at Camp Perry, I'd spring for it. We have a few hundred pieces, but I never load it since it didn't upgrade the ammo's performance over loose packed 7.62 can, mixed brass OTMs.

The Russian primers are difference makers though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    No need for Lapua Brass in my experience. Maybe if I was going to compete at Camp Perry, I'd spring for it. We have a few hundred pieces, but I never load it since it didn't upgrade the ammo's performance over loose packed 7.62 can, mixed brass OTMs.

The Lapua brass that I have been using is on it's last leg, but it still has consistent neck tension when seating bullets. And I'm on load 8 or so on the same brass with no annealing. This stuff is the t!ts!

I can't say the same for any other brand I've tried (LC, PMC, FC, etc.)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There's no doubt Lapua makes good brass. I'm just saying it didn't seem to be needed to achieve good results in my process.

I can only speculate the the light crimp I run keeps neck tension reasonably consistent because I know I mix some once fired with multiple fired brass.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shark101au View Post
    I hope your friends have good timing, seems as soon as PV gets powder in, it's gone within a few hours. I live 3 hours away, but have never made the trip down there and always buy online from them, otherwise I'll miss out. My last haul was 24lbs of TAC, 16lbs of 4064 and 6000 CCI #41 primers, should keep me going for the next few months.

Last I was in Cabelas their primers were over $40+tax, I'm able to get them from GB for less than $30 including delivery (Winchester primers).
    Nice haul on the powder.

The last batch of CCI small pistol primers I got at Cabela's were $26/1000 on sale with the coupon I had, so I picked up 5000. They do a lot of local mail flyers with coupons here near the store. I'm also known to wander in and look at the used gun racks o nthe way home from work. I've snagged some very good deals that way. Maybe 1 out of every 200 long guns I look at. But it happens often enough to make it worth while.

A Winchester Model 70 in .223 with a Leupold 3x9 for $200 cash out the door. A Winchester Model 12 shotgun for $300 out the door. It's worth keeping a few Benjamin's in your wallet for cash deals.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)

It's honestly more of an experiment than anything else. It seems like it's only about $10 more a box. I'd like to grab 200 or so cases to play with. I'm going to stuff them with those 175-grain SMK's for the .308, and the 77-grain SMK's for the .223.

If you were looking for some virgin factory brass, what would you try instead?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This thread has reminded me to round out my supply with a few odds and ends.

Will be looking to get some different pistol powders to try out for .45 and 9mm since I've only really used AA No.5 for both.

Wouldn't mind a few 8#'ers of 8208xbr and some more TAC.

Never did forgive myself for only picking up a pound ea. from grafs the week before sandy hook--been impossible to find ever since.

As far as being ready for another shortage, I don't think it's possible.

Since you can never really have enough ammo, you can never really have enough reloading supplies.

I'll be content when I can ride out a decade without having to re-supply
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Having gobbs of Hollow point pistol makes zero sense to me. Stocking practica ammo? Ok. But if you're needing to shoot THAT much hollow point, you'd have moved to a Rifle anyway.

HP pistol ammo is the lowest priority of all to me. I have like 2 L.E. boxes of Gold dots, and a few mags loaded here and there. That's all.
    The problem Ive found is that my favorite defensive loads only come in stock maybe every 6 months and it sells out fast. I like to keep about 1k on hand for rotating out chambered rounds and zero verification.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    If you were looking for some virgin factory brass, what would you try instead?
    Lapua is the only virgin brass I've tried. I really wouldn't buy brass other than Lapua in .223. Most common once fired brass works so well that I don't buy new stuff.

When I'm loading defense ammo, I pull apart some LC with crimped/sealed primers and use that.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Cool, much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Pappabear keeps begging me to load up the Lapua brass. (he bought it) But my inner squirrel keeps telling me to save it for something special.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast