Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Are you ready for the next shortage?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    How many of you guys inventory to the point that you have roughly an equal ratio of components?

After doing some inventory on my stash, I realized I'm coming up pretty short on pistol bullets.

It doesn't make sense to have more primers and powder without the bullets to match—gonna concentrate on getting an equal ratio of bullets to primers and powder before I grab anything else.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouroborous View Post
    How many of you guys inventory to the point that you have roughly an equal ratio of components?

Not me... It's all herky-jerky, because I usually buy primers 5,000 or 10,000 at a time, but never more than several thousand pistol bullets.

To start rifle, I bought Hornady 55gr in bulk (6,000), but I bought 10,000 primers and 24lbs of powder (enough for 7,000 rounds?). So, they're roughly proportional, but I fully expect to run out of projectiles first...

Feedback Score
    I wish I had some of the extra cash lying around to buy a couple thousand rounds at a clip like a lot of you guys, but I don't. I used buy mostly practice ammo when prices were high, so I could do my best to "stockpile". Now that prices are down quite a bit, I am focusing on defensive rounds at online sites that are reasonable to build a surplus, and have just enough practice ammo to keep proficient. It seems to be working. I hope to be better prepared for the next BS crisis.

Slow and steady is my method.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buckpatriot View Post
    I wish I had some of the extra cash lying around to buy a couple thousand rounds at a clip like a lot of you guys, but I don't...
    I don't have much extra cash laying around. I simply cannot stomach buying ammo at retail prices, so I buy in bulk...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckpatriot View Post
    I wish I had some of the extra cash lying around to buy a couple thousand rounds at a clip like a lot of you guys, but I don't. I used buy mostly practice ammo when prices were high, so I could do my best to "stockpile". Now that prices are down quite a bit, I am focusing on defensive rounds at online sites that are reasonable to build a surplus, and have just enough practice ammo to keep proficient. It seems to be working. I hope to be better prepared for the next BS crisis.

Slow and steady is my method.
    I got into reloading as a poor college student. At the time, for the cost of a case of ammo, I could load twice or even 3 times as much of the same caliber.

If you're having a hard time stocking up on your budget, then rolling your own would definitely get you there faster.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I got into reloading as a poor college student. At the time, for the cost of a case of ammo, I could load twice or even 3 times as much of the same caliber.

If you're having a hard time stocking up on your budget, then rolling your own would definitely get you there faster.
    I can reload M193 rounds for about 26 cents a round and that includes paying 10 cents for fully processed brass. So if I reload my spent brass it would be 16 cents around vs 40 cents a round retail.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Its been pretty available for 30 cents a round for several weeks now...
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I got into reloading as a poor college student...

+1

I started buying in bulk and reloading because I couldn't afford to pay retail, not because I had extra cash lying around.

Feedback Score
    I still have lead, brass, and primers from the mid 90's when I was an RO at State and Area matches, plus what I bought at the Gun Store I worked in part time. The last quantity buys I have made were the summer of 2008 and it was all social ammo. I already had a large stock of primers and powder bought in 2006-2007. I date the cannisters and primers with a sharpie as to when they were bought. All of it is in conditioned storage while my retirement villa is being built with a 15x25 room for reloading and radio's. Then I will be back in business. Right now I have about 2K of 9, 40, 45 reloads to shoot till then. All my stuff has always been pampered when stored. I even have some 38Spl Wadcutters that I loaded in the mid 70's with a Lee Whack-a-mole press that still go bang. I do not see buying anything component wise for the next 10 years, unless the bottom falls out of the pricing of components.
    Good Shooting if you have to.
    Steve
    Call Sign: Blue Thunder
    There are no Silver Medals for Street Combat

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I do not see buying anything component wise for the next 10 years, unless the bottom falls out of the pricing of components...
    I'm not in a hurry, either, but Brownells has Wolf primers for $20-22/1,000 (dealer pricing, quantity discount), and $50 off orders of $300 or more.

I'm not sure if that counts as "the bottom falling out," but I couldn't resist...

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast