Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOE handguard vs Rail

Feedback Score

MOE handguard vs Rail

This is not a gear question per se but a function question related to the gear mentioned. I currently have a 14.5 M4 clone (Norc CQA) with a carbine length MOE handguard (given to me for free). This is my first AR and I'm fairly new to shooting and I'm wondering if the short handguard will be a detriment to my shooting as it affects my grip and stance. Will switching to a longer rail be a better way to go? Will stretching my support hand further out really affect my shooting that much or will either set up be viable and just be a matter of training?

I originally intended on buying a rail and was looking at a Troy Delta rail until I was handed this MOE. I am currently deciding whether it's worth it to spend the extra cash to pursue getting the rail.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It's really a matter of personal preference. You can maintain the same stance and grip with the shorter hand guards. The extension of the arm is practical though, it helps mitigate recoil and will help you transition from target to target better. You also have to look at what you want the rail for, are you going to attach a light of vertical grip? All things like I said can be done with you MOE hand guards or if you want something longer look into one of the many modular forearms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    It's really a matter of personal preference. You can maintain the same stance and grip with the shorter hand guards. The extension of the arm is practical though, it helps mitigate recoil and will help you transition from target to target better. You also have to look at what you want the rail for, are you going to attach a light of vertical grip? All things like I said can be done with you MOE hand guards or if you want something longer look into one of the many modular forearms.
    Yes, I envision my stance will be the same but I am wondering how much of a benefit I will get if I have my support hand further out. With the MOE, my VFG (BCM angled stubby) is just behind the FSP. If I get the Troy Delta rail, I can move the VFG a little bit further forward.

With regards to accessories, as I mentioned, I already have the VFG and if I get the rail, the difference is it will be further down. The only other thing is a light which I would like to mount at the 12 o'clock position. With the MOE, I think I've narrowed it down to either the IWC SMC mount which will give me a 1 o'clock mount (lefty) or the Mossie Tactics 2400 FSB Light Mount which will give me a 12 o'clock mount.

So basically, with regards to accessories, I can achieve what I want with either the MOE or the Delta rail. I'm just trying to see if there is a benefit with going a rail with shootability of the weapon that will justify the extra cost.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That really is going to come down to trying each if possible. I have used both and with the extended rail dose help. Only because I dont have to worry about burning myself on the gas block. It really is going to personal choice, hunt around on the EE if you really want to give it a shot.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    That really is going to come down to trying each if possible. I have used both and with the extended rail dose help. Only because I dont have to worry about burning myself on the gas block. It really is going to personal choice, hunt around on the EE if you really want to give it a shot.

I have been looking out for deals at the EE. Nothing yet so far but I'll keep an eye.

Feedback Score
    If you're new to shooting, take the $ you'd spend on the rail and buy ammunition or attend a good training class. Later on look at buying a rail. Right now, you're trying to have equipment solve end-user problems.

Moving your arm further out has benefits. But so does a traditional carbine grip.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BC520 View Post
    If you're new to shooting, take the $ you'd spend on the rail and buy ammunition or attend a good training class. Later on look at buying a rail. Right now, you're trying to have equipment solve end-user problems.

Moving your arm further out has benefits. But so does a traditional carbine grip.
    What End User Problems Am I Trying To Solve? I'm Merely Wondering If It Is Better For Me To Practice And Adopt A More Forward Grip. I Already Have 1000 Rounds But It's Hard To Find Good Training Here In Canada.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What BC250 is trying to say is shoot the gun using the extended grip they way you have it set up. After a while see weather you think if the longer rail is more comfortable or will give you the control you need.

Feedback Score
    Yup. If you're relatively new to shooting, you don't know what it really is you need and why yet. This isn't meant to be a slam on you, and I understand additional training may be hard to come by at your location, but get good and proficient with fundamentals using what you have first. The carbine length handguard has been around a long time, and people have used it quite well. You may find you don't need the VFG, or can change placement or size of it. There are a lot of things you can even do before switching to a longer rail.

Do you need a rail, or do you want a rail. More experience will give you the reasons and ability to tell the difference. I prefer a midlength, but I've been using a CAR15/M4 carbine of one fashion or another for duty use for almost 20 years now and required accessory placement to base that on.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I used to really like the moe handguards on my carbine. I have a mid and carbine with 12" fortis rails that just feel so much more natural to shoot. However, I'm 6'5 and have a lot of reach. I find that when I pick up a carbine with standard handguards I'm constantly choking up on the guards and burning the bejesus out of my hand on the fsp. Not a gear issue as much as it is me, but I'd prefer a full length rail on any rifle I'm shooting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast