Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing fsc 556 compensator and replace wth?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Removing fsc 556 compensator and replace wth?

Been running a rifle a lot lately that has an fsc 556. It works awesome for the shooter. But I'm constantly getting complaints from the people I go shooting with. Finally had someone else shoot it while I stood by..... dang, it is hard to be around, and pretty much have to double plug earpro out doors when not behind the rifle.

It also kicks up a lot of dust in prone.

Bcm the way to go? A2? From what I've read around the internet some say the battle comp has low side blast. Some that isn't the case. Any other devices that have a lower dust signature without sounding like a howitzer is going off for bystanders?

I don't really want to buy a bunch of muzzle devices to try. Bcm seemed like the ideal, most things I read and watched seem positive. Some still said that it had a lot more blast than the A2.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Surefire brake. Then mount suppressor. Then they'll be wanting to shoot it and not complaining about it.

The SF brake does have side blast but they've tried to minimize it. The BCM comp is better but the rifle tended to move around more than the SF.

The SF replaced the BattleComp for me; people did complain about the BC's generalized blast.

The A2 is a flash suppressor and does not possess much, if any, compensating action.
    Last edited by Sparky5019; 07-05-14 at 07:06.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Surefire brake. Then mount suppressor. Then they'll be wanting to shoot it and complaining about it.

The SF brake does have side blast but they've tried to minimize it. The BCM comp is better but the rifle tended to move around more than the SF.

The SF replaced the BattleComp for me; people did complain about the BC's generalized blast.

The A2 is a flash suppressor and does not possess much, if any, compensating action.
    Yeah, but if he's not running a suppressor, the SF brake is probably going to be even worse than the FSC556. Any of the brakes with big ports on the side are going to wreak havoc on those around him.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I applaud you for removing that fixed concussion grenade.

As has been said, the Surefire brake is not nearly as painful compared to the FSC. I have stood beside both, the FSC made me want to punch the guy shooting it, but I was too busy looking for my eye pro that just went flying. Ended up whenever the rifle was shot making sure I was as far away as possible, or directly behind them. And that was on a 16 inch barrel. The Surefire brake I have stood beside and never had an issue, yes it has side blast, but it is almost like being brushed opposed to punched, also if you aren't wanting a suppressor Surefire did just announce a brake without the suppressor mount for $60. If you want a brake and don't plan on getting a suppressor it might be a good choice. However, the Surefire, and pretty much any brake I know of is going to produce more dust than a flash hider prone.

In regards to the A2. Yeah, it's a flash hider, but having shot carbines side by side one with it, and one without any muzzle device the A2 does provide some compensation, not a lot, but it does push the barrel back down more than nothing at all. Again, no where near the effectiveness of a proper brake, but better than nothing.

Now, on to my opinion. I don't like brakes, like at all, and all but one of my rifles has an A2. The one who doesn't isn't threaded so it is bare. For me, with the rifles set up as defensive carbines, A2s make the most sense until I decide to go suppressor at which point I may decide that a brake is useful.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Hey the SF ain't perfect but I've had an FSC-556 and it punched ME as the shooter. Depending on the barrel length it's a much better choice...if you need or want to run a brake and not just a flash suppressor.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have no use for brakes either...
    The A2 is one of the most cost effective flash-hider. However, all my carbines have the 3-prong Surefire hider. It does an outstanding job and allows you to mount a can swiftly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Plan is to suppress it. Getting the trust setup next month. Then the waiting game.

Until then it's going to be loud. This rifle is a 16" barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    I applaud you for removing that fixed concussion grenade.

As has been said, the Surefire brake is not nearly as painful compared to the FSC. I have stood beside both, the FSC made me want to punch the guy shooting it, but I was too busy looking for my eye pro that just went flying.
    I spit out my iced tea reading that.. only because that's how I felt. I can't believe I didn't get pistol whipped on the back of the head by my friends....lol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When someone complains about my rifle with the PWS FSC 556 on it. I put it away and break out my SCAR 17 with the PWS FSC 762 so they can feel real blast. I think all of the brakes have a lot of blast including the vaunted BattleComp. I just use a pair of foam plugs under my ear muffs, I don't complain.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbx View Post
    Plan is to suppress it. Getting the trust setup next month. Then the waiting game.

Until then it's going to be loud. This rifle is a 16" barrel.
    Well then I would say that it will depend on your choice of suppressors and how often the rifle will be suppressed once you have the suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by cbx View Post
    I spit out my iced tea reading that.. only because that's how I felt. I can't believe I didn't get pistol whipped on the back of the head by my friends....lol.
    Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week. lol. However I am not responsible for damage to computers or keyboards.

The one friend of mine who had the FSC on his rifle, a 16 inch RRA I told to his face, more than once I might add, that if the shit ever hit the ol' fan that he had the choice of either swapping that brake out to something less obnoxious or I was going to personally hacksaw the ****ing thing off his rifle while he slept. I was so serious in fact that I even had a hacksaw in my go bag.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast