Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Li'l Wolf Pup

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    How well does that light work in that set up? At some point it seems as if practical functionality is giving in to some Über-light compact weapon.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wolf, I think the Magpul moe scout light mount (you can mount x300/tlr-1 to it) might be what your looking for.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 07-04-14 at 03:39.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    That's looking good.

What is the diameter if the barrel in front of the gas block?

I bet you could get a RS regulate barrel mount on there and have that surefire at 12 o'clock. I know they are meant for an AK, but I think it'll work.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    That's looking good.

What is the diameter if the barrel in front of the gas block?

I bet you could get a RS regulate barrel mount on there and have that surefire at 12 o'clock. I know they are meant for an AK, but I think it'll work.
    That's a very interesting idea. I had been pondering the same riddle, how to mount a X300 on a pistol build.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IG, your point about functionality is well taken. With the 16 inch carbine, there was enough room for a light mounted at the 12 o'clock position and an FSB. With the 10.5 inch barrel, I believe the light will have to be mounted to the side to make room for a front sight.

With the light mounted in this location, there is a very strong 6 o'clock shadow but it's low enough to be out of the way. Currently, my biggest problem is switch manipulation. It's easy enough to turn the light on and off but using the momentary button is awkward. I looked into mounting a rail section at the 12 o'clock position on the MOE handguards but it sat too high and blocked the sight picture. The best thing I can say about light's current location is that it's better than no light and is a temporary solution. I do not plan to leave it there.

If I keep the MOE handguards, I will either modify them so I can mount the light low in the 12 o'clock position, or use something like the Scout mount as LB suggested. It would be simple to rig something up to mount the light directly to the barrel, but that would place the light directly over the muzzle device and in the path of the muzzle blast. That may not be as much of a problem as I imagine, however.

When I can afford to, I'd like to get a FF tube and simply mount the light to the top rail. In the meantime, I'm seriously thinking of modifying the MOE hanguards
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-04-14 at 10:40.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Great write up and sweet looking pistol. I have a spare lower that's never been built on laying around. I'm seriously considering the SB15 to avoid the NFA headache for now. Or to at least get me by while a stamp is approved

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Here's the Wolf Pup with it's war paint on. I also mounted a sling and a light, using what I had. The light isn't in the most ideal location, but it'll do until until I figure out something better

I've heard to leave the arm brace alone, are there any legal concerns mounting a sling to it as such?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With the SB15 set at a comfortable position, the pistol RE was too short to give it full support. In fact, the RE would only go half way down the brace. A longer RE was needed. I figured I'd try a rifle RE as it should solve two problems. It's long enough to fully support the SB15 and it would soften the recoil.

First problem is that the rifle RE doesn't cover the hole for the cross pin detent pin & spring without using a rifle stock. This was solved by tapping the hole with a 4-40 tap and installing a screw. The spring was shortened so it would place too much pressure on the detent pin so the cross pin wouldn't be too hard to push. The screw was installed with blue Locktite

Unfortunately, I made the screw a little too long and the threads bottomed out too soon. Instead of removing the screw and shortening it a bit more, I gave it a little more torque to see if I could make it fit and snapped the head off. If this were an aircraft part, I'd be sweating how to get the shank out without enlarging the hole or damaging the threads. In this case, I'm going to leave it alone as long as it doesn't back out.

After tightening down (breaking) the screw, the RE was installed and torqued and when the arm brace was installed, I discovered that the outside diameter of the rifle RE was too small. GAH!

A few wraps with gaffer's tape solved that problem.

The arm brace now fits snugly and is much more stable with the RE supporting it's whole length. I also reinstalled the foam padding that originally came with the pistol RE, making the setup even more comfortable to use.

The rifle RE, buffer and spring does provide softer recoil. A flat spring made for a 308 AR was then tried. Recoil was even softer and muzzle rise was noticeably less. Bolt locked back on the last shot with both springs which has me wondering just how big the gas port really is.

The down side is that the rifle extension might be too long for some and the gaffer's tape is a bit ghetto. I don't know how well it will hold up over time or after it gets wet. The upside is softer recoil and added stability for the arm brace and the shooter.

I also picked up a Magpul MOE K2. As much as I like the standard MOE grip, I like this one even better. The angle really is more comfortable with a shorter length of pull., The Wolf Cub is getting better and better!
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-20-14 at 00:43.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Looks good. Interesting setup. Never thought about a rifle tube for a pistol build...
    -Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! -Benjamin Franklin

-If guns kill people, spoons made Michael Moore and Rosie O'Donnel fat!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    A thought about mounting a surefire weaponlight x300-400 ultra. Would it be possible to take the newer MOE slimline handguard, tap the top for the original MOE polymer Rail and use that as your weaponlight mount?
    Last edited by MorphCross; 07-20-14 at 14:47.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast