Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16" Intermediate build

Feedback Score

16" Intermediate build

I just finished this up and shot it this weekend.
    Build parts are Griffin Armament comp, MI FDE 15" Keymod rail,Odin works gas block and 16" SS intermediate gas Odin/Strong Side Tactical barrel with wylde chamber,DSG FDE upper receiver,BCM C/H,BCG,James Madison Tactical 80% lower receiver in FDE, DSG LPK w/o FCG, JP trigger, BADASS ambi-safety, Fortis end plate with QD, Vltor A5 with 5.3oz buffer and Magpul FDE STR buttstock and Magoul 1.1 in FDE. Optic is Leupold VX-R 1.25x4 SPR firedot.

Please do not start turn into thread of why the JMT 80% polymer/carbon lower! This build shoots super soft and very accurate. Shoot's like a 18" rifle gas but in a 16" package. I wanted a 16" precision rifle that would shoot a soft as a KAC SR15 but with more accuracy. I think once more shooters discover how soft a 16" intermediate gassed rifle shoots we will see more of them. I know MSTN/Noveske did a run of a 16" inter-mid barrels a few years ago. ETA used Brownells Aluma-Hyde II Coyote on the receiver extension,comp and the MI keymod rail. MI FDE was slightly a different shade of FDE. I put the parts in my spare trucks cab and cured them in the summer heat for 7 days.

This was my first 5 shot group after getting the rifle sighted in. The firedot was covering up the orange dot. Ammo was new LC brass 77gr SMK and IMR 8208.
    I'm going to swap out the VXR to a Leupold MK6 3-18 for more accuracy testing.
    Last edited by archad; 06-22-14 at 17:41.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Nice group.. Good lookin gun!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Looking forward to what that can do with more magnification for sure That rig has the precision to back up 8x to 10x on the top end at least, you'll probably be able to spot your own impacts out to those magnifications most likely.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Looking for info on that James Madison Tactical 80% lower receiver, mainly how well is it holding up and how many round have been sent down range with that lower. Or any info related long term with that lower and/or problems.

Feedback Score
    Looks great! You've got me intrigued with the intermediate gas system. Could you enlighten me on the benefits of this system vs. a mid-length on the same barrel? Also interested to see the long-term performance of the lower.

Feedback Score
    I would compare intermediate gas to going from carbine gas to midlength. As far as the JMT receiver limited life warranty. JMT parent company manufactures a $1million jet kit airplane and uses the same polymer blend in that aircraft.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If you want to tame it some more, get an adjustable gas block and tune the gas.

I have a 16.5 rifle gas with adjustable gas block (and JP lightweight BCG and Taccom3g buffer) and it's crazy soft.

I rest my upper lip against the charging handle ... Bad habit when I switch to my other rifles.

Feedback Score
    frsteve... I have been following your 16.5" rifle gas build. I have a jp lomass bcg and a 3.8oz A5 buffer I will have to try that next. It sure is a fun hobby.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    archad, thanks for the info on JMT. Also, after reading the intermediate gas thread over in the technical forum, it sounds like a great system with some reputable engineering behind it.... you may just cause me to build one....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Now be a good boy and register that lower so Hillary knows where to send her thugs to protect us from terrorists such as yourself.

Seriously, nice "outside-the-box" build. How was the JMT to complete? Did you use a mill/drill press/grandpappy's Case folder?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast