Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with VLTOR VC-1 flash hider

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Disappointed with VLTOR VC-1 flash hider

Was doing some prone shooting and found that my new VLTOR VC-1 FH kicked up a ton of dust (16" barrel). Unlike the A2 FH, the VLTOR allows gas to escape 360 degrees thus pushing up lots of debris and dust from the ground when prone. I was looking for a FH that performed better than the A2. Based on reviews here (especially videos) the VC-1 had the best perceptible reduction of flash, certainly better than the A2. Can't imagine why they didn't close off the bottom. It's totally my own fault for not thinking about this when I got it. I'm really annoyed as there doesn't seem to be a good alternative.

The BCM FHs are an amalgam of FH and comp and according to senior members of this forum "The BCM shoots flatter than the A2, is louder, with more side blast, and more muzzle flash." A common sentiment. I want to avoid blast/concussion and extra noise. My focus is signature reduction, not improved control from a muzzle break/comp. The YHM and Vortex flash hiders seem to have the same issue as the VLTOR in that they allow gas to divert downward to the ground (judging only by pics) - so these are a no go. How is it possible that in this "dynamic" and "tactical" day and age no one has developed a FH that exceeds the A2's capability AND addresses prone shooting in the dust? Should I just return to the A2?

Someone here joked that everyone eventually goes back to the A2... If that's the case is there a "best" A2 FH: standard A2, A2X, KAC (pictured below)??

Last edited by omega21; 06-30-14 at 00:31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You might want to look at the YHM Phantom. An A2-type with better flash suppression than the A2. There are a bunch of videos comparing various FHs in low light, but the Brownell's one is very appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7s3YZ5H8B8

I have seen very few videos that are scientific, and this is as good or better than most of the YouTube stuff.

I would stay away from the "aggressive end" models, unless that's what you want.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    The A2 is a decent flash hider, but its nothing special, the only thing going for it is price. Go with a dedicated model from AAC, BE Meyers m249, or the Smith Vortex. If you want some compensation but without the blast look at the Griffin Armament Flash Hider.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 06-30-14 at 00:07.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Haha, v7 released their Ti a2's so if an a2 isn't enuf, and doesn't spend enuf of your money, you could always spend literally 10x's as much as a normal a2, and give the added benefits of blowing money on something. Or you can just rock an 8$ a2 and stop chasing the magic dragon you won't ever catch.

You are going to sacrifice something no matter which way you go. Noise, blast, concussion direction, cost, weight. Just save the money, and spend the savings on good ammo, or some MSA sordin ears
    From TOS ... "buy the shit out of that thing, all the mil spec is just nonsense."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Omega21,

Right Church, Wrong Pew. Vltor VC-A1 is a flash hider (not a comp), but also a dust blaster. Vltor VC-A2 also a flash hider (not a comp), but with a closed bottom, so no dust.... The VC-1 is billed as a comp, not a flash hider.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had the same thing happen. Yhm phantom is a decent hider

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There is NO muzzle device that is dust proof. Not even a Silencer... although those come close.

The dust sig issue is Marketing bullshit, and gun counter idiotic conversation material. What we do is throw mats down to cover the area 3 ft in front of our muzzles. Even that isn't perfect... especially in a head wind.
    Last edited by markm; 06-30-14 at 15:28.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What's the problem with kicking up a little dust on a defensive carbine? I've been running the vc-1 for about 10,000 rounds now and think it works great as a fh and just ok as a comp. One thing I've noticed with this device is it does a good job at diverting the blast forward. I don't recall ever shooting and muzzle device that didn't put off some kind of dust signature. Even an a2 while shooting from prone positions will put off a signature.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Whats wrong with the A2? It suppresses flash well and doesnt kick up a whole bunch of dust.

The only reason I see to change from an A2 (on a non game gun) is for a can mount or a forward directing break, like the Noveske Pig, on a SBR.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Double tap..
    Last edited by C-grunt; 07-01-14 at 16:39.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast