Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New Shield sans TS - first range visit. Result: 1 Failure to eject - UPDATE

Feedback Score

New Shield sans TS - first range visit. Result: 1 Failure to eject - UPDATE

I've now got about a thousand rounds through the pistol. After about 400 rounds of no stoppages with various ball ammo(WWB, blazer brass, AE), I decided it was worth blowing some more HST through it. The first magazine generated a stoppage of exactly the kind of failure as before. The gun has definitely improved in reliability, but again not with the round I want to use. I guess I'll have to make due with a few other rounds that have so far proved to be reliable. Mostly 124 gr offerings. It's got to be a combination of bullet profile and oal, or something, with this round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by websniper; 09-08-14 at 18:55.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I sold my M&P Shield with thumb safety (no malfunctions, unknown round count, probably a few hundred) to get one with no safety.
    Within the first 217 rounds I had three failures to eject on shots 3 (124 gr Ranger), 70, and 140 (both M882 military ball).
    This is disappointing, but hopefully cleaning and more firing will work it out.
    I did leave the slide locked back for about a week when I first got it.
    Last edited by masakari; 09-15-14 at 15:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    I sold my M&P Shield with thumb safety (no malfunctions, unknown round count, probably a few hundred) to get one with no safety.
    Within the first 217 rounds I had three failures to eject on shots 3 (124 gr Ranger), 70, and 140 (both M882 military ball).
    This is disappointing, but hopefully cleaning and more firing will work it out.
    I did leave the slide locked back for about a week when I first got it.
    That sucks. Sometimes I think about unloading this thing and buying something else or figuring out how the hell to shoot my Kahr P9 better.

I did just get a few hundred rounds of 124 HST, so hopefully I'll get to the range this weekend.
    Last edited by websniper; 09-15-14 at 19:20.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by websniper View Post
    That sucks. Sometimes I think about unloading this thing and buying something else or figuring out how the hell to shoot my Kahr P9 better.

I did just get a few hundred rounds of 124 HST, so hopefully I'll get to the range this weekend.
    Malfunctions 1 and 2 were failures to extract, in which the brass was on top of the next round, still partially in the chamber, and the slide was hung up of the base of the next round.
    Malfunction 3 was a stovepipe.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    My Shield 9 has not had a burp, since new with over 250 rounds of 124gr FMJ, 147gr FMJ, 124+p and 147gr GDHP ammo. S&B 115gr FMJ also fed and cycled fine. This is an early production Shield w/TS, DXY prefix.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Malfunctions 1 and 2 were failures to extract, in which the brass was on top of the next round, still partially in the chamber...
    Update report on my Shield. All rounds fired very deliberately. Within 5 rounds of Federal 124 gr HST I experienced a failure exactly like the one masakari describes above. Empty still partially in chamber. Also, the empty seems to have jammed into the mouth of the fresh round as the mouth of that round was marred/divoted on top. The empty, once I locked the slide back, dropped the magazine and pulled the brass out, shows visible scarring where it looks like the extractor ripped off of the rim. This is effing ridiculous. There's been enough reports of these types of issues with the Shield both TS and non-TS that SW should be able to fix the damn problem already, and we shouldn't have to send the gun back multiple times for it to do so. Say what you will about tolerance stacking and drop-in fit for ease of assembly, but to me this is a quality control issue. These guns seem to be a crap shoot as to whether you get one that runs or not. I find that unacceptable.

20140920_144133.jpg
    Last edited by websniper; 09-20-14 at 15:02. Reason: add pic

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by websniper View Post
    Every so often my M&P 9 full sized would experience the malfunction like the one pictured above, It was corrected by the Apex tactical M&P extractor. I'm hoping that Apex will come out with an extractor for the Shield.

On the subject of my Shield, I fired 100 trouble free rounds of Federal 9mm 115 JHP rounds. I realize that the round is outdated, but it's a hollowpoint and works.

I've only had a chance to fire this low level of rounds due to the inventory I had on hand, other projects, and family issues.

Feedback Score
    I can induce a malfunction in mine by feeding it any of the Federal HST I have on-hand. It was choking on Federal American Eagle ball ammo previously, but has not since being returned from Smith.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678