Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shield sans TS - first range visit. Result: 1 Failure to eject - UPDATE

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Free Agent View Post
    I hope you don't mind me posting here. I figured it would be better than starting a new thread. I just received my shield 9mm w/o thumb safety last night. I cleaned and lubed it right when I got home. This morning I went off to the range and put 100 rounds threw it. 50 of freedom munitions 124gr and 50 American Eagle 124gr. I had 7 failures to lock back on an empty mag. Also, 3 times it failed to go into battery after releasing the slide on a full magazine. All my pistols with the exception of a 1911 are Glocks and I've never had a malfunction with any of them. (Unless you count brass to the face.) Is this something I should expect during the break in period?
    Any pistol with dual recoil system should be locked to the rear for several days to 2 weeks. We used to have to do this a lot with the GEN 4 Glocks.

Give that a try and then see what you get.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll store it with the slide locked back until I get back to the range. Thanks for the heads up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by momano View Post
    Skintop, on the other site, I notice you never voted on the single stack 9 poll. You also had some good things to say about the XDS 9. What would you recommend for a thin 9? Thanks
    Sorry, I don't remember the poll. I'll also sit many of them out if my answer doesn't fit or needs elaboration.

I did like the XDs much more than I thought I would, and I've shot a couple casually here and there. My biggest hangup with the XDs is the inherent distrust in the XD line in general. I think the XDs is worth looking at though.

For a single stack 9mm, it's tough to beat a Sig P239, SW 3913. Others are viable when verified reliable.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I recently picked up a shield sans TS and figured I'd add my experiences to this thread. My initial thoughts are that the slide is well machined and the edges are melted. The grip is comfortable if not lacking texture. The mold lines are more present than any Glock i've handled. At some point i'm going to sand the mold lines off and install some of the rubberized grip stick-ons.

Out of the box the trigger pull averaged 8 lbs 4 oz on my Lyman digital trigger gage. After lubing and dry firing a bit it dropped to 7 lbs 11 oz. I replaced the striker block with the Apex one and spring when I was changing the rear sight. It noticeably reduced the gritty feeling of the trigger and the trigger now averages around 7 lbs 8 oz.

So far I've only had one malfunction which was a failure to eject (a new round was chambered but the slide was held open by a casing held mouth forward in the ejection port. It has 196 rounds through it now. Overall, i'm happy with the pistol so far and will continue to wring it out. Edited: I fired another 63 rounds of 124+P Ranger and 50 rds of Wolf without failure of any kind. I think locking the slide to the rear overnight a few times has smoothed out cycling a bit.
    So far the following rounds have been fired:

40x Federal American Eagle 124 gr - no malfs

106x Wolf 115 gr - no malfs

20x Winchester white box - no malfs

124x Winchester Ranger 124 +p - one malf (see above)

26x Winchester Ranger 147 gr - no malfs

Last edited by Drummer; 07-21-14 at 19:19. Reason: Edited with higher round count and a picture.

Feedback Score
    My ffl just got these no thumb safety models in and we were testing one he wanted for himself at the range. All was well for about 100 rounds, then it started to no go into battery. We lubed it up again, but the issue continued. This was with Fiochi 115.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    My Shield is an early pre-recall production. It was also not affected by the recall problem. Case dated 9-11-12. I have shot PPU 115gr FMJ, Speer 124gr +P GDHP and Speer 124gr GDHP non +P. I have also shot Federal 147gr Hydra-Shok and AE 147gr FMJ. The pistol was cleaned and lubed prior to the range visit. I even shot some Fed 115gr, 9BPLE +P+. Erratic ejection is not a problem as long as it does not stop the pistols operations. Watch YouTube videos, Glocks have erratic ejection patterns. My Sigs usually pile them up in a neat pile.
    I did have some FTE/FTF from purposely induced loose grip on the gun with 147gr ammo. Wish my KAHR P380 was as predictable.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    Isn't this the second thread post for essentially the same problem on this model?
    Best,
    Mike

Feedback Score
    Another quick update. Didn't get i back out to smth yet. Took it out to get more rounds through it and it was just a waste of ammo. It is exhibiting the failures with Federal AE 115, and to make matters worse, it failed to extract as well. I'm not blasting any more through this thing until it gets back from S&W. I can post more detailed info when I'm on a PC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I just purchased my first mp shield without a safety, after carrying a glock 26 for years. I shot about 500 rounds today and it was perfect! I kept my fingers crossed and cleaned and lubed it before the range. This thing shoots great and handles gold dot +p like a full size.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by momano View Post
    Skintop, on the other site, I notice you never voted on the single stack 9 poll. You also had some good things to say about the XDS 9. What would you recommend for a thin 9? Thanks
    I've shot a buddies XDS. Nice pistol, but I thought it recoiled more sharply than the Shield.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast