Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Not a true 551...but close enough for my budget.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That's a nice looking conversion! Congrats! Interesting how the Swiss barrel was installed. Those Swiss steel top rails are hard to find and I think it looks cool. They do make clamp-on rear diopters.
    "Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" - Patrick Henry

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Those B&T rails are soon to be readily available in the US. And you definitely need a 553 to SBR. They can be found for under $3k now. CO Gun Sales had some up for $2700 about a month ago.
    Found and ordered the B&T rail last week. Those 553s are the ones with the bare muzzles. How hard is it to find the proper flash suppressor? It gets confusing with the bare threads, fake US Exeter devices and real SAN devices floating around.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    dirtyboy that rifle is nucking futs. prob one of the nicest conversions i've seen. the 551 is just a damn sexy bad ass approved gun and yours is a fine representation , kudos to you sir.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_1iviper View Post
    dirtyboy that rifle is nucking futs. prob one of the nicest conversions i've seen. the 551 is just a damn sexy bad ass approved gun and yours is a fine representation , kudos to you sir.
    Thanks, M4C's complements mean a lot. They aren't the easiest to come by.

Feedback Score
    Its too bad that most of the gun buying public is more interested in buying based on price point rather than quality. Everytime something new comes out thats not an AR15, people say:"what can it do that my $700 no name AR can do?" or "I can buy 2 no name AR15's for the price of that!!". Unfortunately we who are interested in nice high quality rifles are at the mercy of a market that caters to the ignorant and cheapskates.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post
    With SIGs well deserved bad reputation in the rifle world, where do their pistols fall? Speaking of the US-made pistols. I know they have a million different flavors and that's just ridiculous but I'm more wanting to know about what you guys think about the overall quality.

I took out my uncles new 226 Elite and in my not so experienced hands it felt pretty solid and well made. But that was a sample of one.

Josh: I was just thinking that if my finances would Allow could buy a 553 and part out every single piece except for the strip upper and use my spare unmolested 551 barrel. I would just have to get it refinished. I would hate to Tear apart a nice 553 but I love the 551 barrel lenght/gas system. After parting out the 553, I could probably end up with that upper for pretty cheap. Something to consider. I think you mentioned it to me before.
    I would probably prefer to buy a SiG roll marked "Made in Germany" to one made in New Hampshire.

Having said that, I have yet to read a negative review about the Mk25. Apart from the fact that it comes with three borderline useless Checkmate magazines. But Mec-Gar 18- and 20-rounders are cheap and readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by deejai View Post
    Its too bad that most of the gun buying public is more interested in buying based on price point rather than quality. Everytime something new comes out thats not an AR15, people say:"what can it do that my $700 no name AR can do?" or "I can buy 2 no name AR15's for the price of that!!". Unfortunately we who are interested in nice high quality rifles are at the mercy of a market that caters to the ignorant and cheapskates.
    As though that doesn't happen here, with people talking about how much more expensive the Tavor, SCAR, and ARX-100 are than a BCM, Colt, or DD.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thats very nice. I wouldnt kick it outa bet for eating crackers.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post

Josh: I was just thinking that if my finances would Allow could buy a 553 and part out every single piece except for the strip upper and use my spare unmolested 551 barrel. I would just have to get it refinished. I would hate to Tear apart a nice 553 but I love the 551 barrel lenght/gas system. After parting out the 553, I could probably end up with that upper for pretty cheap. Something to consider. I think you mentioned it to me before.
    Sorry I missed this. I've considered doing the same, but I would not refinish it (would keep it black), and would keep the aluminum lower. A 551-2 on a factory picatinney railed upper would be sweet.

Feedback Score
    Thread hijack-How easily would it be to switch out barrels on a true Sig 551? Is it more involved than screwing on a new barrel, i.e. shorter barrel? Or would it be similar to a M4 in which you would have to adjust gas block?

Feedback Score
    Excellent job on that Dirtboy. I've always wanted one as well. Has to feel great finishing that project with such fine results. Have to say I'm drooling over the pics.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast