Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School me on Jacksonville, FL

Feedback Score
    I grew up in Orange Park just south of Jax. It was a great place to raise kids when I left. I don't know what it is like now. Besides crime and schools you also need to be concerned with the commute. There aren't very many secondary roads that you can take to get you downtown. If you don't mind a commute I'd look into buying some land in Middleburg or Green Cove Springs. St. John's county also has plenty of land you can buy. No sense looking for a range when you can live in the country and shoot in your backyard.

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was born in Orange Park and spent my formative years in Jax Beach, graduated from Fletcher.... but I'll never go back... its an awful dirty place in a lot of areas. The Autozone on MLK BLVD had to have an armed guard because the manager was shot in the face and killed during a robbery for the night drop..

When I left in 04 Jax Beach was a nice place, it was small, not a huge population. When I went back in 07' and then again in 09 it was a pure shit show.. population had increase so much it would take me 48 minutes to go from Atlantic Beach to Arlington Blvd... a distance of roughly 13 miles... no thank you
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Passed on Jacksonville. Everything bad said in this thread is true. What a dump - looking at South florida right now.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-19-14 at 07:29.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Passed on Jacksonville. Everything bad said in this thread is true. What a dump - looking at South florida right now.

You mean north Cuba? I would not choose it over any other part of Florida. They used to say the "DMZ" was the Broward/Dade line. Now it's Broward/Palm Beach. Traffic is a constant nightmare especially if trying to get to downtown Ft Lauderdale or Miami.

I don't know the crime stats but it's out of control. The number of LEO's killed in the line of duty over that last 20 years far exceeds the number lost by most states... since they became states. Everything is more expensive from housing to groceries. Your car insurance will probably double if you move here. Home owners insurance/hurricane concerns are out of control to the point many companies (including USAA) won't finance a mortgage here.

Groups from all over come here and will not assimilate. I've visited and lived all over the state - south Florida isn't really Florida in my book.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was born and raised in Jacksonville. I left about 4 and a half years ago and every time I go back, I miss it less.
    "Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf."

Feedback Score
    I think it's typical of an American city of almost 1 million people.

There is crime and traffic and the government schools aren't good. Most of the crime is dirt bag on dirt bag.

Carry a pistol and a have a newer vehicle. Can't do much about the schools except private education. There are some better schools south of the city.

It is also true that north Florida (North of Orlando) us just south Georgia. The panhandle is south Alabama / Mississippi. The southern part of Florida is where the money and most of the obama fans are.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    You mean north Cuba? I would not choose it over any other part of Florida. They used to say the "DMZ" was the Broward/Dade line. Now it's Broward/Palm Beach. Traffic is a constant nightmare especially if trying to get to downtown Ft Lauderdale or Miami.

I don't know the crime stats but it's out of control. The number of LEO's killed in the line of duty over that last 20 years far exceeds the number lost by most states... since they became states. Everything is more expensive from housing to groceries. Your car insurance will probably double if you move here. Home owners insurance/hurricane concerns are out of control to the point many companies (including USAA) won't finance a mortgage here.

Groups from all over come here and will not assimilate. I've visited and lived all over the state - south Florida isn't really Florida in my book.
    Palm Beach county is nice outside of some parts of Lake Worth & Riviera beach. Miami-Dade traffic sucks and crime is bad in some parts (north Miami). Cubans are great people, older Cubans came here to flea communism like my girlfriend's family and are generally good hardworking people who can't stand Obama, younger Cubans come here for the same reason other groups do unfortunately... North miami and 50% of Broward is a hell hole and hate commuting in and out of Miami-Dade to PBC but PBC is in general a nice place to live.

Feedback Score
    I was born in Jax, FL. and lived here most of my life. I did live in N. Palm Beach County (Jupiter, FL) for 9 years and then moved back to Jax. I will never go back to South Florida! Jacksonville use to be a decent city but started to gain in crime and poverty around the same time the NFL Jaguars were implemented and got real bad when a third of the New Orleans idiots moved here after the big hurricane.
    I would suggest living in the Mandarin area South of Jax or around the South Jax beaches area (Ponte Vedra). If you can deal with a commute I would suggest, Middleburg, Green Cove, International Golf Parkway area, St. Augustine, Fernandina/Amelia Island area.
    We are in the process of electing a new Mayor and Police Chief. If we can just get someone in office that cares, we can get Jacksonville straightened out. Existing Mayor is an OBUMMER Fan!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12