Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How has Magpul Dynamics's "Art of the Tactical Carbine" stood the test of time?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How has Magpul Dynamics's "Art of the Tactical Carbine" stood the test of time?

The question speaks for itself. Also, is one version better than the other? Is there something more highly recommended? I can run an AR on a square range, but I'm looking to increase my knowledge base. Due to my current situation (OCONUS), an actual class isn't really an option.

How have the other Magpul Dynamics DVDs held up? Any I should avoid?

Thanks for your time,
    Herk

PS -- I wasn't really sure where to put this thread, so I apologize if it's in the wrong place. I can't post in GD, and the description for the Magpul subforum says it's for class announcements and AARs.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    The question speaks for itself. Also, is one version better than the other? Is there something more highly recommended? I can run an AR on a square range, but I'm looking to increase my knowledge base. Due to my current situation (OCONUS), an actual class isn't really an option.

How have the other Magpul Dynamics DVDs held up? Any I should avoid?

Thanks for your time,
    Herk

PS -- I wasn't really sure where to put this thread, so I apologize if it's in the wrong place. I can't post in GD, and the description for the Magpul subforum says it's for class announcements and AARs.
    It's alright, if you can look past a lot of the gimmicks and whatnot on the first Art of the Tactical Carbine.

My problem with the DVDs is how much marketing there is in them. Right off the bat, you can see that they equipped everybody in the class with MOE buttstocks. And then, during a component that should be explaining basic manual of arms info, Travis Haley goes into a discussion about the virtues of the BAD lever... at that point I almost turned it off.

Then there's the gimmicky tricks that you see people trying to imitate all the time now. For example, you see Costa doing his customary rifle flip, where rotates it to the left, supposedly checking the chamber to see if there was a malfunction and if the mag is empty, and then rotates it to the right in such a way that the magazine goes flying out. Now I see people doing this crap in all of these online videos, and you can tell they aren't checking their chambers because they're just trying to look cool.

There's also the little fake look around they do when they finish firing and prepare to put the weapon on safe or holster it. They fire a string off shots at their targets, then supposedly look left and right, and then safe their weapon. I would really like to see the vast majority of the folks who do that in a course where there may legitimately be targets moving around, and see how many miss it. Most of the time, it's just a stunt to look cool.

I'll stop there.

EDIT: With regards as to other options, I would look at the stuff coming out of Panteao Productions. Everything I have seen from them has been superb. Travis Haley has a much better carbine video on there titled "Adaptive Carbine." I would check it out.
    Last edited by justin_247; 06-28-14 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Their influence has been huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEEEy1dMceI
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    Its worth watching but judiciously. There is a lot of fluff to ignore, but there is also some excellent instruction. I'll 2nd Haley's Adaptive Carbine. I'm also curious to watch Frank Proctor's Perfomance Carbine. I wouldn't say there is one video, or class for that matter, that will cover it all. There is a pile of videos out there now between full on productions and youtube. Its worth watching a lot of them, and some to learn what not to do.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Paul Howe's videos on Panteao Production are worth the admission price.

Feedback Score
    I'll second on the Howe video.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Agree about the fluff, but also how every swinging dick now is a BTDT instructor....and the deliberate actions they do when doing such things as "driving the gun" etc. It looks so fake and retarded and more like it should be in the movie Matrix or a dance skit than actual training. Much like what the poster above was talking about with the "mag flip" type crap and checking the chamber. There is no way that chamber is being checked every damn time people do that and at that point it's just wasted time/speed/etc.
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    To the OP, if you do subscribe to Panteao, watch Paul Howe's video on combat mindset first and foremost. It's probably the most valuable video they offer in that you can apply the lessons learned to your everyday life, especially with you being OCONUS.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Given that the current Magpul curriculum, and the curriculums of the two instructors featured in the videos are significantly different than what is featured in those videos, I would say, "not terribly well". Really though, that's not a bad thing. What I teach today is different than what I taught 7 years ago. Good instructors evolve.

There are very solid concepts in the videos, namely; efficiency of motion and rapid multiple hits. These concepts were foreign to the general shooting community at the time of those videos' release, and making the idea of "gunfighting training" appealing to a wide audience significantly helped the current crop of instructors and trainers.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I think it is all subjective and how you want to view it. When I picked up the Magpul Vids, I wasn't in the right situation to goto classes based on cost and location. I'd say they are filled with good info if that is what you are looking for. All the other "fluff" as others have mentioned is really the by product of keeping it flashy and sweetening the kool-aid for the majority. I've watched Haleys Adaptive videos and I would call them a mirror of the MD Vids without all the razzle dazzle.

But if you're able to stream.. Panteao is the way to go for the price and the variety of vids and instructors

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast