Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How has Magpul Dynamics's "Art of the Tactical Carbine" stood the test of time?

Feedback Score
    How have the other Magpul Dynamics DVDs held up? Any I should avoid?
    For a guy who doesn't have time for class I think it continues to be a viable alternative to reading forums and doing nothing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What's funny is to watch the videos and just look at the gun setups. Kx3s, vfg s and the like.

For the techniques I actually use the chamber check and scan.

The chamber check WILL be slower than any preprogrammed immediate action, but I feel you'll make up time by fixing the problem the first time than having to 're address when tap rack bang doesn't fix a double feed. Of course I cheat if I feel the buffer locked to the rear.

The scan is a great tool for breaking tunnel vision. No one actually expects to find a new threat on a flat range after engaging their own target in their own lane. Iv done many scenarios in the shoot house where the scan reveals ALOT of missed details that you may have missed when button hooking.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    People mock the chamber check but god if I my coworkers would do it when they get a stoppage. You should really be able to diagnose an empty mag by the feel of lock back. I watch people over and over stuff fresh mags into double and triple feed malfunctions. You shoot the gun twice a year. Just look first!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    People mock the chamber check but god if I my coworkers would do it when they get a stoppage. You should really be able to diagnose an empty mag by the feel of lock back. I watch people over and over stuff fresh mags into double and triple feed malfunctions. You shoot the gun twice a year. Just look first!
    Checking the chamber, is one thing, doing the physical motion of appearing to be checking the chamber in a quarter of a second while making it look fancy b/c you're dropping your mag, is another thing entirely. I guess my take away from it all, is that, many shooters/students take certain things quite literally and then walk away focusing on the wrong things. It's like the coworker that is gay. There is gay and then there is over the top, flamboyantly, dude you're trying too hard gay.... Not saying this is a majority, just from a certain few that like to parade around their wife on Youtube...
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just for pure shooting with all BS cut out of the equation both Frank Procotrs videos are hard to beat. His carbine video was just released and it's excellent.

Feedback Score
    They're easy to criticize, but if you'd watched Clint Smith's sahara-dry, staccato delivery in his videos, you'll understand why he had limited market penetration, and why Magpul was so successful and ubiquitous. They made training exciting and the sugar-coating of slick production value and signature moves are what made them so visible. I still employ techniques I learned from those videos, along with others I picked up since then. Like anything else, absorb everything and keep only what works for you. I always thought the mag-flip was a little silly, myself, but the branding worked for them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fivepointoh View Post
    Agree about the fluff, but also how every swinging dick now is a BTDT instructor....and the deliberate actions they do when doing such things as "driving the gun" etc. It looks so fake and retarded and more like it should be in the movie Matrix or a dance skit than actual training. Much like what the poster above was talking about with the "mag flip" type crap and checking the chamber. There is no way that chamber is being checked every damn time people do that and at that point it's just wasted time/speed/etc.
    Quoted for truth.
    The only thing people are training for is to flip flop the rifle before reloading....that is it.
    I received a good bit of unsolicited advice from another shooter on the range when he noticed me doing this a few years ago. (Guilty) He suggested painting a line on the mag follower, some bright blue, some bright green. When the weapon stops you have to tilt, look, and say out loud the color or the weapon status. Example, Blue, Green, Bolt, Double feed. On blue/green you just reload. Bolt forward you tap rack bang. Everything else you lock to the rear, strip, rack, reload.
    I commented that I had some slick yellow paint so maybe I would go with that, so which he replied something along the line of you have to use two different colors......otherwise you are just training yourself to say "yellow" everything you reload.
    Honestly, I thanked him for the advice and promptly ignored it.
    Years later I saw a young guy at the range shouting to himself as he reloaded. Gun went dry he yelled RED, once it was loaded and ready he yelled GREEN.
    I wondered if he was using a similar system when, to my utter amazment, he yelled RED on a double feed and promptly started to reload.....which wasn't working. After finally getting the mag out and slapping in a new one it failed to seat and fell out on the ground. He yelled GREEN a shoulder the rifle again. Nothing. Flip flopping the rifle a second time he grabbed another mag and managed to seat this one...... the gun still wouldn't work. He stood there and stared at it for a least a slow five second count before recognizing the jam and clearing it.
    Obviously he wasn't really looking when he flip flopped the gun.
    Now I'll admit I don't paint my followers, but I do think it might be a good tool to break some bad training habits and force you to really look.
    Fortunately I didn't futz around with the flip flop long enough to hardwire those habits myself.
    Just some thoughts.

EDIT TO ADD: In all fairness, if I recall correctly even Costa chastised someone on the video for not really looking.
    Last edited by falnovice; 06-28-14 at 18:49.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What I think gets alot of shooters in trouble is they want effective technical techniques but still want tobe sub 2 seconds on their triple double accelerated pairs at the 100 yard line*. Sometimes a good technique may not happen at Bruce Lee speeds.

*(over exaggerated for comedic purpose)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    snip. Sometimes a good technique may not happen at Bruce Lee speeds.

. . . although a few thousand proper repetitions help out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by falnovice View Post

EDIT TO ADD: In all fairness, if I recall correctly even Costa chastised someone on the video for not really looking.
    This. He also addressed the mag flip. He clearly tells a student he's not trying to fling the mag across the range, that's just a result of trying to move quickly.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast