Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How has Magpul Dynamics's "Art of the Tactical Carbine" stood the test of time?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Download the digital copy of Proctors new carbine video. His teaching style is much more applicable to the real world than the old MagPul antics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    Download the digital copy of Proctors new carbine video. His teaching style is much more applicable to the real world than the old MagPul antics.

Where can we find it for download?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Here you go. I'm going to check it out myself.

http://vimeo.com/ondemand/performancecarbine

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

How has Magpul Dynamics's "Art of the Tactical Carbine" stood the test of time?

Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Preview: http://youtu.be/eYrtDeZNvJw

Scroll down to the video in the store and click the download link.

http://www.wayofthegun.us/store/

Last edited by Nightstalker865; 06-29-14 at 05:26. Reason: update

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The one thing that "the Art" did do for me is make me much more aggressive on putting ammo into a CQB target. I don't really remember much else about it... Never struck me as a bad video though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    for what it's worth, I think the MAGPUL videos kinda kick started the current training video crop. While there were other videos before them (some better) we really didn't buy or talk about them much. I think the videos also contributed to the current training renisance we are in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cd228 View Post
    for what it's worth, I think the MAGPUL videos kinda kick started the current training video crop. While there were other videos before them (some better) we really didn't buy or talk about them much. I think the videos also contributed to the current training renisance we are in.
    Good point. This creates its own hazards though in that there are a plethora of great training videos (many mentioned here) but there is also a significant number of terrible ones just trying to cash in on an expanding market. Just like the AR parts market, I think...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Johnson View Post
    Good point. This creates its own hazards though in that there are a plethora of great training videos (many mentioned here) but there is also a significant number of terrible ones just trying to cash in on an expanding market. Just like the AR parts market, I think...
    And, just like the AR parts market, one of the reasons I'm here is to get a better understanding of what's wheat, and what's chaff.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post

How have the other Magpul Dynamics DVDs held up? Any I should avoid?
    I think they're fine, but like any training course, take everything with a grain of salt. Things do evolve over time, and every instructor has preferences and biases, some valid and some just dogmatic. Best to let your own shooting style evolve based on various instruction sources, IMHO, not just one. I've taken a lot of training courses. Some of the things that some guys teach directly contradicts what other instructors teach. There are some absolutes, but there are many concepts that are personal opinion and need to be evaluated and adopted into one's shooting style with some careful consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post

There's also the little fake look around they do when they finish firing and prepare to put the weapon on safe or holster it. They fire a string off shots at their targets, then supposedly look left and right, and then safe their weapon. I would really like to see the vast majority of the folks who do that in a course where there may legitimately be targets moving around, and see how many miss it. Most of the time, it's just a stunt to look cool.
    I agree, that's become more stylish than functional. I took a course where the second instructor would stand behind the line holding up a number of fingers at the conclusion of a course of fire. Interesting to note how few people even noticed that he was there let alone how many fingers.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cd228 View Post
    THIS. Totally.
    Not just DVD's, but also training.

Perhaps not entirely what the OP is asking - but wanting to give credit where its due:
    I have no doubt that before these DVD's most didn't understand what it was all about, were either too intimidated nor understood the value of 2-3 days training on the range, or that such a thing even existed.

Speaking for myself, pretty sure I represent a very large group (majority?) of non-mil/leo personnel out there, think these very MP instruction video's are what jump-started this industry - the understanding that training was not just an abstract idea, available only to pro's. (monkey see, monkey do...).
    Getting hooked by the M4, going to the local range bench-shooting is one thing - but what pushes one across the threshold to take that class? Make one even understand there is such a thing? Realize that for most of us regular citizen shooters, this was (and for many still is) indian territory. Going from a static range to a more dynamic style.
    It made it real to the rest of us. Looking at the 'cast' of the Basic Carbine DVD made me realize I didn't have to be certified Ninja to take a class.
    How could anyone not look at that and go..'....hmmmm.... I KNOW I can do that- are you kiddin me..?'....

While I haven't met Travis, I actually had a long conversation about with Chris, and interestingly enough, while he is a self-diagnosed media-whore.....OK we'll call it media-savvy....... (and I have the images to prove it...sorry Chris ) he's quite modest - you'll never never hear either one of them say those DVD'd were 'the best', or 'the originators'.
    Nor would one ever hear them take credit for the fact that they gave it the mass-appeal it now has, made it sexy and really mainstream.
    And of course plenty of product endorsement, but again - it created more awareness how adaptable the M4 carbine really is - opening those floodgates as well. I mean I went a-running to get me some o that way-to-cool-MagPul shwag, let he who didn't cast the last ASAP........

All one has to do is survey the landscape before and after these DVD's were released.
    Without these I probably wouldn't have had the privilege of meeting and taking classes with some of the best instructors out there.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast