Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone sell 20" A2 Uppers 1:7 anymore?

Feedback Score
    I just received an A2 upper I purchased from Model 1 Sales. It was at the front door waiting on me when I got home from work. After opening the box and taking a quick look, it looks nice. It's not perfect though. My definition of an A2 upper is a 20 inch government profile chrome lined barrel, 1/7 twist, FIXED carry handle, and fixed front sight post. Model 1 comes close. The front sight post is "F" marked which is not appropriate for an A2. The barrel stamp is very light but states "M1S 1-7 HC" I do not see any caliber markings although I have not removed the handguards. Their website states it's 5.56mm. The upper receiver does not have M4 feedramps, though the barrel extension does. Cost was $330 as I recall. Considering the price of some of the other uppers linked and the limited use it will see, it's a bargain if it shoots well. If it doesn't shoot well....I'll use it as a fence post and keep looking.

I don't understand why if a manufacturer goes to the trouble to make an A2 upper, that they don't do it correctly. The devil is in the details. I also do not understand why it's so difficult to find one when there appears to be a demand for them from people like me who may be a little nostalgic and thinking back to their days in the military. I'll keep this one for now and take it to the range when I get a chance to shoot. Probably after next week sometime....work sure puts a damper on fun stuff. I'll post a review and will use 5.56 ammo.

Edit: I hope I don't come off as complaining about the product. It's not perfect, but I didn't break the bank to buy it either.
    Last edited by Stan_TheGunNut; 07-24-14 at 20:37.

Feedback Score
    Hey Stan!

Depending how authentic you want to be you could go back to a Nodak Spud upper and lower.

http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm

I have a coworker who does re enactments that built from a spud upper and lower to VN specs.

They have blems priced at the bottom.

If you're looking for age correct, coloration, etc. I'd say that's your best bet.

However, if you're just looking for a known quantity AR 20" with a fixed carrying handle. I may look towards a used Colt HBAR or similar.

Thanks for letting me fire your SBR years ago, I ended up eventually going that route myself with a 12.5".

The downside to the Nodak is having to assemble it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    I'm not too worried about it being period correct. I have a couple of Colt 20" HBARs already. I even have a Colt 20" upper receiver and barrel, albeit very worn. For various reasons, I didn't want to use those. I'll see how this one shoots, though I would like a more correct upper. Thanks for the link.

It has been a while since you shot that rifle. We'll all have to get together again sometime and make some noise. I may try and go shoot a match with Dale, or at least get him behind the trigger on this new upper to see what it's capable of.

Feedback Score
    Any update on the Model 1 upper? I'm thinking about an A2 build for my next project and have not found many other options. My research indicated that Model 1 just builds from available parts (rather than sourcing their own), which could account for the variation in quality that owners are seeing.

Feedback Score
    Fulton Armory sells an A2 upper:
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/farifle...3-2-2-7-3.aspx
    The Barrell Specs and contour aren't correct, but it is visually similar to the A2. I have ordered parts from fulton in the past but never an upper. I would ask the other members here for their opinion. They had good customer service and ship time.

Feedback Score
    Rock River Arms has A2 assembled or stripped uppers.
    Colt 6920, eotech , swing away PA magnifier , Troy quad rail .

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the heads up, guys. After thinking it over, I've decided to build the upper myself in a restomod style rather than vintage correct - SUS match barrel in black, BCM BCG, free float handguard, etc. Hopefully a similar look with better performance but at the very least a good learning experience.

Feedback Score
    Sorry about the delay. I haven't been on here much lately. 75 hour work weeks take their toll.

I did manage to get to the range once with the Model 1 Sales A2 upper. I didn't get to stay long, but did put a few rounds thru it. I need to sight it in, so it was really just a function check. The only problem I noticed was that it did not consistently lock back the bolt on the last round in the magazine. I seem to remember using a Gen 1 Pmag and 223 American Eagle. I'll try and get out again before Christmas and give it a better workout, to include zeroing and trying different mags and ammo.

I have noticed that Brownell's is accepting orders for FN barrels. I may buy one of those and the appropriate parts and send it off and have it built correctly (non F marked front sight base for example). I think BCM also sells just the barrel.

Feedback Score
    Del-Ton sells a lot of different configurations of barrels from different length to rifling to gas port location.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I would not recommend Del-Ton for anything more important that shooting dirt clods at Granny's pond.

If that is the intended purpose, rock on.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast