Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sling Set Ups

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Sling Set Ups

I'm thinking through/planning a sling set up for my 700 (pictured below). I want to use the sling for field position support and to be able to simply carry the rifle.

So many slings to chose from, but this is the one that is currently on the top of my list:

http://www.triadtactical.com/Mountai...ter-Sling.html

I am hoping to get some input on attaching the sling to the rifle. I have a QR stud in the standard bottom/rear location on the stock but I will need to add a second stud to the front of the rifle. Is it best to add the second stud on the bottom of the forearm in back of the first to clear the bipod or install it on the left side of the forearm? I am thinking a second stud in the front would be preferable to using the stud on the bipod.

Also, if anyone has a set up similar to what I'm looking to do, if you could post a photo or two that would be great.

My sincere thanks for your advice and input!

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been eyeing the TAB Gear Biathlon sling. Looks awesome for those long hikes to the good ranges.
    Kryptek is the Limp Bizkit of camo.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariley85 View Post
    I've been eyeing the TAB Gear Biathlon sling. Looks awesome for those long hikes to the good ranges.
    That sling seems to have favorable reviews and short of a pack, looks to be the ticket for extended carry. I like that it frees up both hands while keeping the rifle out of the way and reasonably secure.

Here's another one that looks effective and useful, though geared more for the shooting end of the spectrum vs. ease of carry - https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/...ftw-sling.html

Feedback Score
    For a standard style sling good for carry and positional slung shooting, the TAB gear sling is tough to beat. If you want a few more features, adjustability, and the ability to be carried in front of you "tactical style," then check out the TAB Rapid Adjust Sling (RAS) or the new FTW Bungee. Triad sells all of these.

I've been using the TAB gear sling for about a year, it's a good piece of kit. My only real gripe with it it is that the material tends to slide down my arm when cinched in certain positions unless I'm wearing clothing that grips it better. I would also like a more "on the fly" length adjustment (both the RAS and FTW do this, which is why I've been eyeballing them).

edit: I've not used one, but the Mountain Shooter sling mentioned earlier would also be a good option for a standard style loop sling.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    edit: I've not used one, but the Mountain Shooter sling mentioned earlier would also be a good option for a standard style loop sling.
    Found a review here - http://www.snipershide.com/2013/03/t...shooter-sling/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    <--- Been using TIS slings for years (prefer the slip cuff over the quick cuff) and before that leather 1907s.

TAB and others make very nice slings.

There does come a point where it is like - why does that sling cost that much?

Humping a rifle with a sling - I don't get the Biathlon slings - if I have to hump the rifle a long way, I probably need other gear, which means at minimum a fanny pack on a belt or a backpack which kind of negate the ability of the rifle to lie correctly on my back. Having humped a 14# rifle a long ways with a standard 2 point sling, I am not sure what the bungy cord is going to do for me other than make that weight bounce and make it suck even more as time goes by.

Buy a sling because it helps you shoot, not because it is a swiss army knife. With that in mind it is really basic - something @ 1.5" wide is wide enough to be comfy when slung up for long periods, a little wider or narrower is fine but limitations express themselves quickly. A lot of the cost should be reflected in the quality of the metal hardware that comes with the sling - after all it is the hardware that keeps the sling tightly in the shooting position and keeps your rifle from hitting the dirt.

As for your front QD - assuming you're a RT handed shooter - install that on the left. Confirm that the barrel channel does not touch the barrel when significant sling pressure is applied.

As for QDs in general - it is a good idea to periodically clean and lube both the socket and the swivel to prevent rust or dirt from creating a failure thereby allowing your rifle to hit the dirt.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Zam_Beek View Post
    Buy a sling because it helps you shoot, not because it is a swiss army knife. With that in mind it is really basic...
    Agreed. I'm leaning toward the Mountain Shooter sling because it's simple, lightweight and easy to use. It is also in keeping with the overall KISS theme of the rifle.

I am also leaning toward installing a second QR stud on the bottom of the stock, far enough back to just clear the bipod. This will also allow me to use the same sling on my .22 where it will get plenty of use;

Savage Mkll FV
    Clearidge 3-9X32 AO
    Leupold rings
    TacPro cheek rest
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 07-02-14 at 05:48.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    double tap

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    There's a few out there that would fit your needs, just a matter of finding it. If your rifle is the least bit front heavy, muzzle up allows for a lot of swinging material. When you have a bipod mounted, the problem is worse as your attachment is further to the rear. When you look at the SAP sling-notice how all of the rifles are carried on the front page. I just happened to notice that and it's based on my own use/observations.

If you like to keep things simple, that Mountain Shooter Sling looks to be a nice option. I actually need to try it out one day.

Now, I've been fiddling with the Magpul MS1 for both carbine and precision rifle. Works great for the carbine, like the no tail option and you can run it as a two point or a single with the addition of the double QD or hook stub.
    For precision rifles-If using the sling as an aid by either a hasty sling or slinging up, it allows for that feature as well. You adjust the front end via the tri-glide for the desired length and put your arm into the loop and tighten via the quick adjust slider.

This allows for the use of the MS1 on various platforms, without a ton of buckles, tabs, tails, etc. etc. Plus you can adjust for carry via the adjusted as intended on the carbine.

You don't need to remove the rear for use as instructed on the link below. But the arm loop is the point to show.
    http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/websling/webslinghelp.htm

Of course Magpul does a better job at marketing than me.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...uctional-Video
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...1-Sling-System

One other feature packed sling is the Short Action Precision sling.
    http://www.shortactionprecision.com/...itional-sling/

Hope this helps as it can get expensive and time consuming monkeying with slings.

And as someone once said-"they aren't rocket science" but I haven't figured that out yet either.

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Hope this helps as it can get expensive and time consuming monkeying with slings.

Mark
    Mark, it does indeed and I appreciate your input!

Both the 700 and MK ll are a bit front heavy, I find the point of balance to be just behind the front ring on both of them. Because I'm only 5'7" and have short arms, in the prone position my left hand ends up under the magazine of the 700, with the rear of my hand almost touching the trigger guard. Additionally, due to limited flexibility in my neck from an injury in an auto accident, I need to use a high-prone position. I guess due to these factors that I cannot change, I find getting into proper position with a bipod more difficult and less comfortable than an unsupported prone position. The fact that I'm in my 60s and generally not as flexible as I used to be doesn't help either.

All of this said, having dabbled in NRA high power a long time ago with a SA M1A, I'm going to start with a sling and see how well I can master it again. My 700 weighs just under 11 pounds and with my left hand under the magazine where it naturally falls in prone, the rifle is perfectly balanced and comfortable to support.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast