Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sling Set Ups

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No worries. If you need high prone for comfort, also try the 9-13 bipod or even a tripod if that helps due to your injuries. We all get old and our past catches up to us. If you have to even sit and use a tripod like the Hog Saddle or PRS, be comfortable and have fun.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I purchased the Mountain Shooter Sling and will be trying it out this weekend. Well made and a simple-to-use design, which works well for me.

I also restocked my Savage MKll in a Boyds' laminate that I modified with pillars and bedding. I very much prefer the handling qualities of the rifle with the new stock vs. the tupperware it came with;

My modified MKll-FV wearing a Mountain Shooter Sling.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    Most of the precision rifle slings get way to complicated and hard to adjust. I've had the quick cuff & tab slings on guns and they are nightmares. I have had much better luck just running a vickers 2pt quick adjust (in some cases running it backwards.) then I did with anything else. You need quick adjust in my opinion to be able to quickly lock into different positions, barricade, tripod. It's also nice to have quick detach so you can get even more flexibility like wrapping it around a post/etc.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My friend Brock makes the Mountain Shooter slings and it's all I've been using on my PR guns for quite a while now. Here's a video I did to show how easy it is to get in and out of.

Feedback Score
    I ran the TIS quick cuff for years and it was excellent. With my CMP/NRA HP background shooting a 1907 style sling, I found the transition to the TIS very easy. I also like that it's sewn into a few of my jackets, so that it would NOT slip down to my elbow like almost every other sling will do. It's faster to get sling up than any other sling too because of that. snap the buckle and you're in. unsnap it and you're out. no fussing with the loop at all. The downside was it sucked as a carry sling and it was much heavier than I needed, both the sling material and the hardware, which seemed to be built for pulling vehicles out of the mud or something. I'd maybe give it an A for shooting and a D for carrying.

I switched to the Armageddon gear sling, which the FTW seems to be an up armored copy of. i.e. FTW replaces plastic hardware with metal. I generally prefer the plastic, but some may need the metal. The sling is much better for carrying and not quite as good for traditional positional shooting, but more than adequate for a couple shots. If you had to shoot a longer string, you'd start to notice the deficiency, but that's ok, because there aren't a lot of 'practical' reasons to shoot 20 rounds at the same target from the same position. On the practical side, the bungee is pretty useful when shooting barricades. The bungee seems comfortable carrying short distances too, and generally for keeping the rifle at the ready. However, if I were hiking long distances, I'd prefer throwing it over my shoulder or putting it in my eberlestock. I'd probably give the sling a B for shooting and a B for carry. So it's a compromise, like all slings, but one that meets my needs better now.

The older TAB is basically the same thing as the TIS, only you can't sew it onto your jacket. So it will slip down your arm. I'd give it a B for shooting and a D for carrying.

I don't have any experience with the mountain shooter sling other than watching the video above, but two things I don't like about it are
    1. it doesn't QD in case you need to get out of it fast
    2. the front loop isn't as easily adjusted. with the armageddon gear slings, the front section can be made longer or shorter fairly quickly by pulling a strap. This is important because the optimal length is different for prone, sitting, kneeling. My slings are all marked so if I am going to shoot kneeling, I can pull the strap until the word "kneeling" shows in the buckle very quickly, then pull it to "sitting" for example. With the TIS, I modified it by adding another connector buckle to the sling a few inches down from the built-in one that connects to the loop on my jacket. I'd use one for sitting and the other for kneeing. One of the very few stages I shoot well at Rifles Only was one shot each unsupported prone, sitting, kneeling and standing all weak side at a Propel bottle about 80 yards away in 45 seconds, iirc. Moving through those positions with support from a sling in that little time would only be possible with a rapidly adjustable front strap. Almost every HP shooter will adjust their 1907 style sling by moving the frogs. However, you usually have at least an hour of scoring and pit duty between sitting rapids and prone rapids so slow frogs aren't a huge disadvantage. I'd be interested in seeing another video if someone has a technique to do that with a sling like the mountain shooter sling.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Talive I agree that the Mountain Shooter isn't perfect when put into the context of the match stage that you described but then again I imagine neither is the TIS Slip Cuff and similar in function TAB Gear sling when put in the same situation. I imagine you could retrofit the Mountain Shooter sling with a quick release buckle without too much trouble or any additional sewing for that matter, I may have to try it with the extra one that I have. There's not much that can be done about improving how fast you can adjust the tension since it was more or less designed to be faster to get in and out of compared to other traditional shooting slings. I've used a TIS Slip Cuff in a stage similar to the one you described, it was 100 yards on a pistol bullseye target, and had the sling adjusted to a happy medium for the sitting and kneeling and worked it out for the standing and prone. It was far from perfect but I cleaned the stage under time and I do see the benefit that a sling like the Armageddon Gear sling would provide in a situation like that. I can also imagine that the AG sling would be effective on barricades or other barriers where you could have it slung like an AR and tighten it up so that the tension goes across your back and pulls it into your body.

Feedback Score
    I'll try to take some pics of my TIS sling with the additional buckle when it stops raining.

i was originally thinking you couldn't do that with the MSS, because of the type of buckle it used. but after staring at it a few minutes it occurred to me that you could add another flush cup at a different length and just use the appropriate one. i dunno, i'm probably making it too complicated. like you said, you can split the difference between sitting and kneeling and still get some support and that's probably good enough for most practical targets. if you can find a way to make it perfect for both though, without making it overly complicated, seems worth the effort to me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have mine adjusted so it works reasonably well for standing, kneeling and sitting. At least for my physique, no sling adjustment is needed between those positions and I can tweak the tension by moving my support hand forward or backward on the stock's forearm.

Where I run into a problem is prone - the adjustment is too short. However, I experimented with placing the loop under my bicep but still above my elbow, and the sling adjustment was fine in the position. I understand that is not where the loop should be used, but I found using the sling with the loop in that position was still far better than no sling at all. It also seems to work quite well as a carry sling as there is no hardware or anything else where it lays on the shoulder in a traditional over-the-shoulder, muzzle-up carry.

As taliv mentioned, the MSS is a compromise like all other slings, but its simplicity and ease of use is really growing on me the more time I spend with it.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was thinking of adding a buckle in the lower portion of the sling towards the rear a la the TAB Gear Sling. I'm taking a serious look at the Armageddon Gear sling for my DMR rifle, I'm currently running a Blue Force VCAS sling and it did well at the last DMR match but that AG sling could be just what I'm looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12