Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P Sport

Feedback Score
    Nice man. It's always great to get the kids into the sport. You could hand them a Bushmaster and a Colt and MOST kids wouldn't tell the difference. No reason to drop $2K or more right now when they are starting out. My best friend bought a Sport for his first AR. We all told him he was crazy and to just save his money. Honestly, I have eaten my words. The rifle is a great gun. (He got the early 1/8 twist version) He has now completely modified it to the point that the only stock things he has on it is the lower, trigger, and the barrel. Enjoy the range time with the kids!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My brother had one for a while and it was a good shooting gun, I was glad he chose it over the DPMS...

my first AR was was a complete spikes lower with a no name upper....

I know have a rainier arms build, and a DD build....I like them much more and feel so much more confident.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy-Reticle View Post
    She wanted her own rifle for a while. I was actually in the store with the intention of purchasing her a Howa but I sent her a text and asked if she would like an AR when I saw the Sport on sale. I got the immediate reply, "Yes! Daddy please get me an AR instead".

Sold.
    I've enjoyed your inputs on this thread, and I wholeheartedly agree you are on the right track.

My best to you and your family of shooters!

buzz

Take Care,

Buzz

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Enjoy the time with the little ones, they grow up very quickly.
    Yes they do grow quickly. Now the grandkids are joining in the tradition. It's an American Heritage we ALL need to pass on regardless of what brand shooter we have.

Sport has a ton of mileage and tons more to go. No issues from day one.
    Give Me the Eyes of an Eagle.The Courage of a Lion and the Balls of a Combat Helicopter Pilot. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    UPDATE with Pics!

I decided to add a Midwest Industries ss12g2 to the Sport today. I have a disease that forces me to not leave anything alone for very long! I had Jury duty this morning and got released before lunch so I went home and installed it.

The MI rail went on easy enough and I used a TROY lowpro gasblock that covered the taper pin holes on the barrel. I dimpled the barrel so the set screws have a nice solid bite on the barrel. Since nobody will be HALO jumping with this rifle I did not cross pin the gas block. Maybe I will if I see any movement or have any issues. I wanted to keep the OEM gas block in one piece and not shave it incase I change it back to its original configuration someday.

This really changed the balance and feel of the rifle as you would expect. It might actually be lighter now. At least it feels that way to me.

Since I wanted to make an SPR-ish type rifle for a while now I figured what the heck. It will also make shooting this off a bipod or a bag easier for my daughter and she can get her hand around the forearm better when she shoots standing. I think it will give her better control and allow her to learn the proper way to drive the rifle.

I happend to notice while I had it apart that the bolt is marked MP so that is another check mark in the positive column for the SPORT in my book.

Now to get a good trigger for it.

Last edited by Fuzzy-Reticle; 07-09-14 at 15:43.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy-Reticle View Post
    I have a disease that forces me to not leave anything alone for very long!
    I have it too.
    Give Me the Eyes of an Eagle.The Courage of a Lion and the Balls of a Combat Helicopter Pilot. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
    I have an older Sport with the 1:8 5R melonite barrel and it gives my Colts & DD's a dam good run for the money. NEVER had any issues with it or it's T brother.
    Me too! I have a Sport like yours as well as a DDM4V7lw and a Colt M4 LT-6720-R. I like them all. The forward assist only gets in my way on the DD and the Colt as I am LH. Over time, I added a 13" Troy VTAC Alpha Rail, SSA trigger, Norgan Mag Release, Raptor charging handle, Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 and an ambi safety to the Sport. It shoots and handles so good, I forget it is an inexpensive M4gery. I paid $650 for the Sport about 3 1/2 years ago and later paid $1300 each for the DD and the Colt. I wish I had bought two Sports when they had the 1:8 5R melonite barrels. I don't know maybe the 1:9 barrels are OK.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    Me too! I have a Sport like yours as well as a DDM4V7lw and a Colt M4 LT-6720-R. I like them all. The forward assist only gets in my way on the DD and the Colt as I am LH. Over time, I added a 13" Troy VTAC Alpha Rail, SSA trigger, Norgan Mag Release, Raptor charging handle, Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 and an ambi safety to the Sport. It shoots and handles so good, I forget it is an inexpensive M4gery. I paid $650 for the Sport about 3 1/2 years ago and later paid $1300 each for the DD and the Colt. I wish I had bought two Sports when they had the 1:8 5R melonite barrels. I don't know maybe the 1:9 barrels are OK.
    I have the DDM4 V-7 Milspec + and DDM4 V-9 and love em'.DD MK 12 is next. I opted for the LE6940 and love that one too. Got a great deal on the LE 6920 is why I have it. From what I've heard the 1:9 Sport holds it's own. But I'll never give up my Sport 1:8 5R or M&P 15 T. Can't have too many. I've yet to use the FA on any of them.
    Last edited by Maddmax; 07-10-14 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with an M&P15 Sport. They are far better than any of the other ARs in the category under the Colt 6920. I bought one for $500. out the door this year. I read a positive post about the M&P15 by Pat Rogers and if IIRC he has some as loaner rifles for his classes. I've beat the crap out of mine the last couple of months and it still runs fine. I swam through a swamp and low crawled through swamp muck and it still went bang even though it doesn't have an ejection port cover.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserkr556 View Post
    Nothing wrong with an M&P15 Sport. They are far better than any of the other ARs in the category under the Colt 6920. I bought one for $500. out the door this year. I read a positive post about the M&P15 by Pat Rogers and if IIRC he has some as loaner rifles for his classes. I've beat the crap out of mine the last couple of months and it still runs fine. I swam through a swamp and low crawled through swamp muck and it still went bang even though it doesn't have an ejection port cover.
    I've been pushing my Sport well past a couple years and it's had thousands of rounds through it. Kids and grandkids love shooting it. I hardly consider it an entry level rifle, more of a "Sleeper". No issues and still the same parts. ALL my weapons get pushed just as hard as anything I used in combat and ALL have stood up. In all reality, the Sport has been more reliable than my combat issued M-16A1 I had back in the early 70's living in the bush. When I hear people "complain" about the Sport, I always ask if they have ever shot or owned one. About 98% say no, but it's what they heard or were told. I own Colt's, Daniel Defense, Ruger, S&W and have also built a couple. The people/group I shoot with also own more than one manufacture of AR. We're NOT a couple hundred round a year shooters. We all hit the range on a regular schedule or shoot on our own property and also reload. We DON'T cancel do to weather (unless there is lightning and then it's only postponed) and also shoot at least twice a month year round. Handguns and rifle. Been going on well over 40 some years.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast