Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT Enhanced Carrier + A5 system + BCM 14.5" middy

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

LMT Enhanced Carrier + A5 system + BCM 14.5" middy

I went to the agency range today and tested the LMT Enhanced carrier in my BCM 14.5" middy (w/ MOE HG, std FSB, & permed FSC556). I'm running the Vltor A5 system with an A5H4 buffer and a Brownells CS rifle spring. Lubed generously w/ Slip 2K EWL. Bolt hasn't been cleaned in about 600 rounds, carrier was received in used condition and appears to have about 300-500 rounds through it.

Ran about 100 rounds of XM193. Tested for lock-back on empty over the last ten rounds. Used a loose hold on the pistol grip with no shoulder purchase. Ten rounds loaded one at a time into a Lancer L5 (first gen, w/ rubber base plate and non-anti-tilt follower) 30rd magazine.

Now, this this is a damn soft shooter. No video because I was solo.

I did not think this would work with such a heavy buffer; I thought I would need to step down to an A5H3 or maybe the std A5H2.

I did use a felt finishing dremel wheel (no polishing compound) to remove the rough phosphate finish from the 4 bearing surfaces of the carrier and the sides of the gas key. I didn't remove any metal, just a light surface polishing (just enough to remove the finish). This definitely helped the recoil assembly feel much smoother when working the charging handle by hand.

I'm very pleased with the recoil characteristics and reliability is still at 100%. It's killer smooth.

Feedback Score
    Sounds great. Not to start a storm here, but this is why I love NiB carriers so much. Those 4 bearing surfaces. Im not talkin about some no-lube non-sense, but NiB plus lube creating an absolute butter-smooth, low-friction surface between the carrier/upper.
    It totally lets you "get away with" a lot more spring/buffer combos than straight phosphate. I've got a 14.5 middy + A5 setup too. I've also added a Syrac block so I can drop some buffer weight - trying for the A5H0 or A5H1. The goal is maintaining 100% reliability with PMC Bronze (weakest ammo I have.) So far it's been great, super soft, but still fast. This weekend, I plan on running 300-400rds more through that and more through some others. I've moved to A5 systems on all my rifles and Syrac blocks on 3 of them. Hope to have more good things to report after the weekend.
    Last edited by Brahmzy; 07-18-12 at 23:49.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Brahmzy I actually was using a Spikes NiB carrier in the gun prior to the LMT enhanced (It's on the EE now). I agree it allows you to run heavier buffers/less gas. I was not looking to mess with my FSB since I have a perm'd muzzle device, so the only way for me to reduce the gas in the system was the LMT enhanced carrier.

I've found that I got about 90% of the feel of "lubricity" by doing the above described polishing coupled with tons of Slip 2K EWL. I even A-B'd it with my NiB carrier and I was barely able to tell the difference when they were both lubed. And I always lube my carriers liberally.

So, for me, the LMT Enhanced carrier is a big upgrade with nothing lost to the evils of friction.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    LMT enhanced carrier is most likely what is saving you. Ever try some .223 in it?

C4

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    LMT enhanced carrier is most likely what is saving you. Ever try some .223 in it?

C4
    Grant, I did neglect to mention I ran some Tula .223 55g FMJ in it (just one box) at the tail end of the test. But this batch felt pretty hot, so I don't think it ended up being a very good test (it did run 100%).

I need to put my hands on some PMC/other weak stuff before I make a determination on .223. I get free Federal M193 from my agency to practice with and all my HD/SD ammo is 5.56 so I'm still fine if it doesn't run with .223.

I'll advise when I test for .223; it'll be next week at the soonest.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Grant, I should also add that this is ironic when I consider how many people first said that a 14.5" middy concept wasn't reliable enough......and some even said it may not run at all.

I just had that thought and figured you would appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Would be interested in how the rifle runs with .223! Thanks for the feedback

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    Would be interested in how the rifle runs with .223! Thanks for the feedback
    I'll give a quick update. I'm sick with the Flu right now (eating through a straw, FML), but I did run one 20rd box of Brown Bear 55gr sp through it yesterday. But my range trip was cut short by me....well....being sick.

It felt noticeably weaker than M193 (I don't own a chrony). I used my brownells aluminum magazines with CS springs and MP gen 3 followers and some PMAGs....loaded 2 rounds per mag to test for lockback. It cycled and locked back on empty every time. Granted, the gun is still really wet from all the Slip 2K EWL I applied before my first range trip (I am really liberal with the stuff).

So far so good. I'm doped-up on DayQuil gelcaps with Dextromehtorophan (the good stuff....DON'T drive on it, you can get a DUI in FL), so no more range trips until next week at the earliest.

I'll get some pix of the "polish job" I did on the carrier later tonight or tomorrow. It cycles just as smoothly as my NiB carrier.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 07-25-12 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wow, that sounds promising if the gun is cycling with brown bear .223!

Thanks for the update, and get well soon

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    Wow, that sounds promising if the gun is cycling with brown bear .223!

Thanks for the update, and get well soon
    NP. It's not definitive since it is a pretty low round count so far. I won't clean or add lube for the next several hundred rounds. The gun needs to get gunked-up and dry-out a little before I call it GTG.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast