Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $2000 budget

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

$2000 budget

I have a $2000 budget for my father's birthday this month and would like some suggestions.

He lives on a 15 acre property and has been having issues with coyote lately. He also is a partial prepper, has stocked a lot of ammo, and would like a gun-fighter style set-up. He loves to shoot but hates to scare the wildlife off, which makes me think suppressor for a future gift.

His eyes are pretty bad and is going to have corrective surgery soon. So an optic with about 4x and good clarity would be nice.

And lastly, he drives a Polaris Ranger around his land so an SBR might be a good option for easy transport and getting in/out of it. I could get around the tax stamp wait and let him use an upper of mine.

Thanks!
    Patrolman
    USMC 0621
    Brass Junkie

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkenstein View Post
    I have a $2000 budget for my father's birthday this month and would like some suggestions.

He lives on a 15 acre property and has been having issues with coyote lately. He also is a partial prepper, has stocked a lot of ammo, and would like a gun-fighter style set-up. He loves to shoot but hates to scare the wildlife off, which makes me think suppressor for a future gift.

His eyes are pretty bad and is going to have corrective surgery soon. So an optic with about 4x and good clarity would be nice.

And lastly, he drives a Polaris Ranger around his land so an SBR might be a good option for easy transport and getting in/out of it. I could get around the tax stamp wait and let him use an upper of mine.

Thanks!
    $2000 budget, why not go with a Tavor? It fills the SBR need, is accurate at distance, and has a good eye relief setup for a 4x scope. Plus it won't need to worry about the tax stamp.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I personally with a $2000 budget I would get either a build a BCM 16" recce style rifle or a DD V5 or V7 and mount a 1x4 variable optic of your choice. For your budget I would look at a Vortex Viper PST 1x4 or Leupold VX-R.

Both of these are awesome packages that would leave you enough money to buy a decent optic.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...on&key=780-780

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...on&key=752-780

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Coach gun with an ACOG.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    $695 for a BCM BFH 16" with an MI SSG12 forend
    $215 for BCM BCG and gunfighter charging handle
    $375 for BCM blem lower from G&R with a B5 bravo stock

$1285, gives you 700-ish to play with for the optic (assuming the optic is part of your budget)

I'm sure you could save some money depending on whether you have some parts on hand that would make assembling your own lower / upper more cost effective.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wish my son would buy me a rifle, maybe when I get really old...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Wish my son would buy me a rifle, maybe when I get really old...
    Yeah, I end up buying my son rifles.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Well he will be 65 this month and has bought be multiple guns over the years, including an AR and a few SKS. He is super hard to shop for and finally told everyone he wanted a new AR. So this cost is split between a few of us, figuring he needs/deserves a quality rifle.

On the Tavor, I'm currently watching a lot of videos and reading reviews, and I'm so far impressed. My only concern is that if a part (unlikely) goes down, I would have to order him something new instead of pull from my AR parts bin. That being said, I don't think he would use it hard enough to be wearing out parts.

Tavor with a Primary Arms 4x?
    Patrolman
    USMC 0621
    Brass Junkie

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Could anyone else weigh in on the Tavor? I'm really considering it now.
    Patrolman
    USMC 0621
    Brass Junkie

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkenstein View Post

Thanks!
    What problems is he having with coyote? 15 acres isn't exactly the Pondersoa! An AR might be a little overkill for pest control on such a small piece of property. It might also get him in trouble. Get him a light barreled Savage bolt gun in 17 HMR with a 3x9 Nikon Target EFR for the pest and a 6920 for HD/ SHTF.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast