Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best option in the dark?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Option D for me!

Feedback Score
    Our family protection plan has long been to arm ourselves, shelter in place, notify police, and announce to intruders that we are armed. So long as they don't come into the room / rooms where we are sheltering, the intruders may steal everything in the entire house and we won't try to stop them.

Good tip earlier about leaving 911 Dispatch on speakerphone. I can see that could possibly be a two-way street, but I'd rather not have a criminal or civil court case come down to my word vs. that of a bad guy and nothing objective to back me up.

Feedback Score
    My default is: Get eyes on the hallway outside the master bedroom, cutting off the master and my daughter's room, call LE, listen and wait, modify as needed from there. I know in the end I'll end up clearing the house, if for no other reason than in a false alarm I won't get back to sleep until I know my home is secure. Also I know once the party gets started the cavalry is probably on the way, Sheriff's deputy next door, another 2 doors down, and former SF across the street...I like my neighborhood.
    "I can’t remember a mile in my life that was even mildly amusing"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Same here! G19 has light and have handheld as backup. Some good info mentioned in posts above. Also came across tip of taking car keys to bed with you, can use remote/dongle car alarm as distraction or as alert. Not a game changer, but little things stacked in your favor can turn the tide.
    Thanks for the tip! I never thought about using the "panic" button on my key for the alarm on the car. That alone would most likely cause any intruder to flee if you have neighbors nearby. It would at least scare the shit out of them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My wife and I would clear the house together.
    Rangers Lead The Way

Feedback Score
    I would suggest the "cover the hallway/stairway/ entry to where you and the family are" train of thought as nothing else is worth dying for but my personal plan involves locking gf in the bedroom and setting up to eliminate the threat as my home looks to be set up to make one long "fatal funnel" from anywhere else to the bedroom area but from bedroom out affords lots of concealment, places of cover and good shooting lane before I'd even be seen unless intruder has NVGs.
    Work issued Glock 22 and personal 16" BCM with pretty good "inforce" light are with me at all times.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Lie in wait with my firearm while BG deals with pissed large dog... is the current plan.
    Amen... "Brutus" the rottweiler will buy me enough time after the glass breaks, in which in my house the bad guy will not get too far past the break in point ...if entry comes in any farther he'll have a bright blinding light with lead coming behind it... That is if he gets past "Luigi" ... the outside dog Either way...it's just a bad idea to cross the fence.

I live in the country... out in the sticks.. 911 is too late...
    Last edited by MBtech; 10-25-14 at 01:34.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My vote is E. because I most likely won't wake up so the wife will have to decide best course of action.

Feedback Score
    I feel for you guys that have to lock your doors, lock your cars etc. I lived in one place where I had to do that and hated it. One thing I did when I lived there though, was on the door handles I would leave a beer bottle balanced. Figured I would hear it before they got in.

Feedback Score
    I went to a local Harbor Freight and bought some cheap door chime/alarms, 2 pack for like $3 or $4. when going to bed turn it from chime to alarm. It will wake up dog and wife, which wakes me up. Also, longer heavy duty screws in ALL door hinges and latch plates, plus long throw deadbolts on entry/exit doors & our bedroom door . Duty weapon w/ light and cell phone on nightstand. Working on wi-fi cameras for entrance doors and hall outside bedroom to see the threat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast