Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best option in the dark?

Feedback Score

What's the best option in the dark?

And no I don't mean with your wife, girlfriend, partner or other favorite sex kitten!

I mean what is the best action when in the middle of the night you hear the glass break or that loud bang that can only be from inside your home;

A - Investigate in a stealthy manner leaving all the lights off? I can walk thorough my home in the dark and never bump into anything.
    B - Be obvious and turn on lights when entering a room to clear it? Intruder may flee...which is a good thing.
    C - Turn on only the LED light mounted on your HD weapon of choice? Will be easy to see you coming which could be bad if they don't flee.
    D - Hide under bed, dial 911 and send wife to investigate? Not an option for me since I have two young daughters.
    E - Something else.....?

News reports of a significant increase in home invasions has got me thinking about this and running some of those dreadful "what ifs...".
    Hopefully I'll never have to make this choice but I know there must be a "best" one.

For my scenario please assume that I am a long time gun owner/shooter, knowledgeable and proficient with my HD piece but have no formal combat training.

I'm also interested to see how the answers vary from civilians and LEO's.

Thanks,
    Mike

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I suspect answers will vary depending on the situation. Are there kids in other rooms/levels? Can you expect a quick police response?

Since I live alone, it's pretty much option A - stealthy approach to a good position from which to flash the gun light and repeat until house cleared. If I had a family it would be very different.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lie in wait with my firearm while BG deals with pissed large dog... is the current plan.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My house has two stories with all bedrooms on the second story. We've discussed this and we would gather the little ones in the master bedroom and have wife call 911. I would cover the long stairwell up to the second story with a long gun. It's set up that anyone making the approach upstairs would not have the advantage and could be delt with. The meat eater and cop in me has considered many times of confronting the threat, but if I go down I've failed to protect my family, and what happens next? The pissed off dobie would probably ruffle some feathers as well but would be with the wife and kids.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd post up in a defensive position to give myself a minute to listen and wake up. Maybe have the brainless wife call 911.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The last two pretty much sync with my plan

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    News reports of a significant increase in home invasions has got me thinking about this and running some of those dreadful "what ifs...".
    Hopefully I'll never have to make this choice but I know there must be a "best" one.

I am predicting there will not be a strong consensus of opinion on this. I'd love to be proven wrong. I suggest using the responses you get here to make your own decision, constantly re-evaluate your plan, and be prepared to be absolutely ruthless,within the confines of all applicable laws, if that day (or night) comes.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    This is a specfic per situation type of thing. Depending on the layout, family situation, etc that would dictate how you react.

Either way, having a gun with a light is a requirement.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Covering the stairwell would also be my plan. As another member said, I'd go down and clear but if something does happen then I'll be leaving my wife much more vulnerable. I have a feeling the big dog we just got might help though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't even have to get out of bed if I have a break in. I use claymores as wall sconces.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast