Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington finally settles class action on Walker trigger problems

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Were they actually pulled from the shelves, or were they just out of inventory? In any event, the Walker trigger is the older one and no longer in production. The newer X Matk Pro trigger is the one that was recalled: http://xmprecall.remington.com/
    No... Different recall.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROTAM View Post
    I have personally witnessed rifles (that had not had triggers adjusted after leaving the factory) discharge rounds when bolts were closed or when safeties were moved to the "fire" position. I would say I have observed the issue personally about 10-12 times in the last 10 years. 2 incidents, on 2 different 700 LTRs, fired rounds when the safeties were disengaged. Both were free of debris and had only been about 2-3 months old at the time.

This problem with the Walker Trigger is well known throughout the LE/MIL community. I didn't post here to prove this to you, as you will believe what you want to believe. I am just relaying information based on years of personal experience with the Walker Trigger.
    I have been shooting for 45 years and have spent thousands of hours on rifle ranges, hunting and in gun shops. I have looked at hundreds of new and used Remington rifles and habitually test firearm triggers by putting the safety on, pulling the trigger and switching the safety off. I have never seen a defective Remington trigger that had not been adjusted or otherwise altered. I have seen a couple of dozen defective triggers over the years, every single one of them had been amateur gunsmithed. Regarding the LE/MIL community, they are not, generally speaking the most knowledgeable folks around with respect to guns. The gun nuts and target shooters I shoot with and hang with are generally far, far more knowledgeable than the typical cop, Marine or soldier. The consensus among this group is the Remington trigger is safe.

In a nutshell and as a matter of fact:
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Remington triggers are not the evil the lawyers want us to believe they are. Adjust them correctly and clean out the crud now and again and they will give you years of safe service
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 08-19-14 at 02:31.

Feedback Score
    If you send back the recalled trigger only, they will return an inspected trigger assembly to you. It took about a month or so. I installed a Timney trigger before sending in the recalled assembly. I would never go back to the stock trigger.

They return the inspected trigger assembly UPS "adult signature required".
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    I have been shooting for 45 years and have spent thousands of hours on rifle ranges, hunting and in gun shops. I have looked at hundreds of new and used Remington rifles and habitually test firearm triggers by putting the safety on, pulling the trigger and switching the safety off. I have never seen a defective Remington trigger that had not been adjusted or otherwise altered. I have seen a couple of dozen defective triggers over the years, every single one of them had been amateur gunsmithed. Regarding the LE/MIL community, they are not, generally speaking the most knowledgeable folks around with respect to guns. The gun nuts and target shooters I shoot with and hang with are generally far, far more knowledgeable than the typical cop, Marine or soldier. The consensus among this group is the Remington trigger is safe.

In a nutshell and as a matter of fact:
    A nutshell of fact?

If you choose to use the triggers, that is up to you. You are also entitled to your opinion. Im not really concerned with what ths concensus of your group is. I came to post based on my experience with the trigger. I know ive put 10s of thousands of rounds through the 700, but thats not enough experience to contribute to this forum. Ill try to hunt more and hang out with the "experts" in the gun shops.
    Last edited by ROTAM; 09-08-14 at 13:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Still think it is user error, but

Remington settles major defective gun case
    Mar. 15, 2017 - 1:25 - A federal judge approved settlement case involving gun maker Remington, after some 7.5 million guns were found defective. Remington ordered to replace faulty triggers.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/536053071...#sp=show-clips

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been around Remington 700 rifles and the 40 series in the military, law enforcement and completion since 1980. During that period of time I saw or was on the line with people who fired thousands upon thousands of rounds. The only Remington triggers that I have seen malfunction were adjusted and/or modified.

If you follow the basic firearm safely rules and you have a weapon malfunction, nothing gets hit with a projectile but the designated impact area or a bit of earth if you are not on a rifle range.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I have been around Remington 700 rifles and the 40 series in the military, law enforcement and completion since 1980. During that period of time I saw or was on the line with people who fired thousands upon thousands of rounds. The only Remington triggers that I have seen malfunction were adjusted and/or modified.

If you follow the basic firearm safely rules and you have a weapon malfunction, nothing gets hit with a projectile but the designated impact area or a bit of earth if you are not on a rifle range.
    1) That is a terrible piece of "reporting".

2) Still relying on that biased CNBC report from years ago.

3) User error and trying to place the blame on the manufacturer. Think McDonald's hot coffee.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROTAM View Post
    I have personally witnessed rifles (that had not had triggers adjusted after leaving the factory) discharge rounds when bolts were closed or when safeties were moved to the "fire" position. I would say I have observed the issue personally about 10-12 times in the last 10 years. 2 incidents, on 2 different 700 LTRs, fired rounds when the safeties were disengaged. Both were free of debris and had only been about 2-3 months old at the time.

This problem with the Walker Trigger is well known throughout the LE/MIL community. I didn't post here to prove this to you, as you will believe what you want to believe. I am just relaying information based on years of personal experience with the Walker Trigger.
    That is a significant number of incidents for one person to witness in 10 years. Can you give us an idea what years the defective rifles were manufactured?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    While I don't have a blemington any longer, I still see them a lot. Through the years have seen two go off, one was a legit trigger malfunction and the other from someone monkeying with it. I always insured mine was aimed towards a safe spot when chambering, especially on site. Great confidence huh? Even on a brand new one, always "wondered"
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    3) User error and trying to place the blame on the manufacturer. Think McDonald's hot coffee.
    I agree with the concept, but the "McDonald's Hot Coffee" incident is a bad example unless you are using it as an example where the victim was vilified by the media and large corporate interest.

Some info on the case, just to be clear:
    Liebeck's attorneys discovered that McDonald's required franchisees to hold coffee at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C). At 190 °F (88 °C), the coffee would cause a third-degree burn in two to seven seconds. That is 40-50 degrees higher than is standard in the food service industry.

Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000. McDonald's quality control manager, Christopher Appleton, testified that this number of injuries was insufficient to cause the company to evaluate its practices.

Liebeck placed the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the far side of the lid toward her to remove it. In the process, she spilled the entire cup of coffee on her lap. Liebeck was wearing cotton sweatpants; they absorbed the coffee and held it against her skin, scalding her thighs, buttocks, and groin.

Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent. She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9 kg, nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her to 83 pounds (38 kg). After the hospital stay, Liebeck needed care for 3 weeks, which was provided by her daughter. Liebeck suffered permanent disfigurement after the incident and was partially disabled for two years.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast