Thread: removing trigger guard

Feedback Score

removing trigger guard

I'm attempting to remove the trigger guard so I can install the magpul one. The front comes out of course by just pressing a pin in, but the rear one is a roll pin of some sort. I used one of my wheeler punches and attempted to move this pin by gently whacking the punch with a hammer. it had no effect. i tried from both directions. I then tried a little force and bent the punch. The pin still hasn't moved.

Am I doing something wrong? I reread the installation instructions on arfcom and it says you just punch the thing in. It doesn't specify a particular direction or anything.

Feedback Score
    punch 1/16 in size. most important is to put something under the part of the rifle where the pin will come out. otherwise you might end up braking off a corner . i use a piece of wood that i drilled a 3/8 blind hole in to support the reciever and the blind hole is fo the pin to drop into. i`ve done a few of these it`s a piece of cake. the pin will come out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carbean View Post
    most important is to put something under the part of the rifle where the pin will come out. otherwise you might end up braking off a corner .
    +1Million I bought a Stag as a back up gun and I broke off the tab because I failed to brace it and the pin was lock-tighted in. Luckily the the dealer where I bought the Stag transfered a new lower to me and took back the broken one and I just swapped the LPK.

-DM-

Feedback Score
    I just did mine recently. I can't remember the exact sizes but one punch is just as big as the hole. 1/8 maybe or 3/32. Not sure. Whacking it will not push the roll pin but only ruin the receiver. The next size down is smaller than the hole but will fit inside the roll pin. Use that punch and make sure the punch is slightly off center. Otherwise, you'll just be driving the punch into the center space of the roll pin.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    A few tips,

1. Use the right type and size of punch. 1/8 in. roll pin punch.

2. Put a small drop of break free or other lube in the hole, it will help loosen it up.

3. Tap it gently and do not beat on it. If it doesn't move then something is not right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    A few tips,

1. Use the right type and size of punch. 1/8 in. roll pin punch.

2. Put a small drop of break free or other lube in the hole, it will help loosen it up.

3. Tap it gently and do not beat on it. If it doesn't move then something is not right.
    +1 the lube will help. Once you do one or two you'll start to get a feel for how much force to use. usually once it breaks free a bit it comes out pretty easily. Just make sure you support it like someone else said.