Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M LOK is here

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Been contemplating a while, what to build next. Finally decided to give the new m lok system a go. I personally feel that this will surpass the keymod, though time will tell. After reading up on the new offering from ALG Defense, I decided on their new m lok rail in a 13" form. Really happy I did, this is a very nice handling weapon.

The dirt:
    14.5 PSA CHF M4A1 Profile Barrel w/A2X
    Shaved FSB
    PSA upper receiver (I'd typically go BCM, this one kind of fell into my lap)
    BCM BCG
    BCM gunfighter mod 4 CH
    Aero Precision lower
    Daniel Defense lpk
    Magpul MOE+ grip (love these)
    Vltor A5 system
    Aimpoint C3
    ALG Defense 13" M Lok tube
    Irons will be Troy HK style (on order)
    Magpul MS3 sling

I'll be pumping at least 500 rounds through it Saturday. Shot it earlier today, cycles nice and smooth. I really like this rail, it's light and very comfortable in the hand. I also must say, the two PSA M4A1 profile barrels I have seem to be very well gassed. Overall this is the cheapest one I've built and that was my goal. I feel like this is a nice setup for little money.

Last edited by slappy; 07-11-14 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    When you say "FN" barrel what you are really saying is a PSA barrel, correct? You do realize that when FN makes barrels for commercial companies they make them to their spec. That means if Bubba Gump Gun Works wants a 16" barrel with a .098 gas port, that's what they will get.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    When you say "FN" barrel what you are really saying is a PSA barrel, correct? You do realize that when FN makes barrels for commercial companies they make them to their spec. That means if Bubba Gump Gun Works wants a 16" barrel with a .098 gas port, that's what they will get.
    Absolutely. In my industry we generally refer to parts made for companies by the manufacturer. Not trying to mislead anyone, just a habit that probably shouldn't carry over in this instance.

I won't go so far as to say I trust this weapon on any level I would my BCM's and my Colt. This was a box of parts build, with the exception of the ALG rail.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the MLOK once you have a few accessories mounted. What are you planning on using on this rifle?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    So, maybe this isnt the thread for it - but why MLOK over KeyMod?
    The following is a quote from this thread by Mr. Magpul: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=151314

M-LOK is backwards compatible with MOE accessories and is more versatile and easier to manufacture than either MOE slots or Keymod.

M-LOK just updates the MOE standard with a TDP that is open to all manufactures and was designed from the outset to be utilized on metal, polymer or carbon fiber mounting surfaces.

Here are a few M-LOK advantages over Keymod off the top of my head

M-LOK works over a wider material thickness range than Keymod.
    M-LOK uses a flat nut that is suitable for polymer, metal and carbon fiber mounting surfaces.
    M-LOK is a true direct attach system so a line of accessories mounted next to each other do not need to be slid off to remove just one piece.
    M-LOK has better recoil/impact support than Keymod.
    M-LOK uses a larger bolt and has greater direct surface contact than Keymod resulting is greater pull out strength (a single MLOK mount exceeds 300 lbs in all materials)
    M-LOK accessories are multi directional (can be mounted forward or backwards).
    M-LOK has a uniform internal edge that can be generously chamfered allowing a better feel on the hand than Keymods 45 degree under cuts.
    M-LOK can use any of the millions of MOE accessories already fielded via an adapter plate.
    M-LOK slots are much lower cost to manufacture than Keymod resulting in lower cost to consumers.
    M-LOK nuts are much lower cost to manufacture than Keymod resulting in lower cost to consumers.
    M-LOK bolts are commonly available (user replaceable) and allow more torque to be applied than Keymod.
    M-LOK slots requires no special CNC cutters or complex injection molds to manufacture an undercut like Keymod resulting in lower cost to consumers.

Keymod does allow for a slightly lower QD mount than MLOK and is almost flush on the inside of the tube (that might affect those mounting suppressors internally within a small freefloat handguard)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    Last edited by titanse05; 07-22-14 at 18:08.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    titanse05 nailed my thoughts. I think keymod will be overshadowed by m-lok once Magpul starts releasing accessories. They're both interesting designs, although I believe m-lok is simpler therefore more accessories will be released at a lower cost. Who knows what will truly happen.. My vote is in m-lok for now. The downside to the ALG rail, is that it's not a true m-lok compatible design being the mounting surface is rounded instead of flat. Not sure how this will play out and I certainly would have waited for a different design had I known this before acquiring the rail.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Awesome. This is perfectly helpful.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    In addition to the advantages I copied over here I think that M-LOK wins in the aesthetic department. The biggest advantage is that Magpul will be making direct attachments for M-LOK and will not be making anything for keymod.

All this being said, a lot of people are already heavily invested in keymod so I would imagine that the market will support both systems.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Feedback Score
    Nice looking build slappy. I like the mlok much better than the keymod if for no other reason than it doesn't remind me of industrial shelving...
    -Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! -Benjamin Franklin

-If guns kill people, spoons made Michael Moore and Rosie O'Donnel fat!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    The biggest advantage is that Magpul will be making direct attachments for M-LOK and will not be making anything for keymod.
    Well shoot *PUN!* - that right there might swing the entire market (eventually)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast