Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Some ramblings on my H&K VP9

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by teksid View Post
    How can something that only travels Six feet at best have enough force to cut you? I disagree.
    Huh? How? It's actually happened to many of us. It's happened to me with my old Glocks. I had a scab on my forehead for a week or two to prove it. I also had hot brass from a Glock get in between my glasses and burn my eyelashes (luckily no eyelid contact). My wife had a BTF hit her and fall into her shirt, burning her sensitive regions and literally leaving a case-outlined scar on her chest. No, I won't post a picture of it.

Are you honestly making the statement that BTF can't cut you to a group of people that have had BTF cut them? Are you calling us liars?

BTF is the reason I'm on the HK wagon now, and I couldn't be happier. Not a single major malfunction in any of my guns (FTE, FTC, etc.), and no minors either (BTF, weak ejection). Just a great group of guns, especially the VP9.

Funny how there can never seem to be a VP9 thread without a bunch of denialist Glock butthurt stinking up the place. Annoying to say the least.
    Last edited by DreadPirateMoyer; 05-27-15 at 07:32.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    Huh? How? It's actually happened to many of us. It's happened to me with my old Glocks. I had a scab on my forehead for a week or two to prove it. I also had hot brass from a Glock get in between my glasses and burn my eyelashes (luckily no eyelid contact). My wife had a BTF hit her and fall into her shirt, burning her sensitive regions and literally leaving a case-outlined scar on her chest. No, I won't post a picture of it.

Are you honestly making the statement that BTF can't cut you to a group of people that have had BTF cut them? Are you calling us liars?

BTF is the reason I'm on the HK wagon now, and I couldn't be happier. Not a single major malfunction in any of my guns (FTE, FTC, etc.), and no minors either (BTF, weak ejection). Just a great group of guns, especially the VP9.
    The only issue I have with the VP9 is how if you push back on the slide it will kinda hang out of battery. Thinking of the Ferguson case, Michael Brown had grabbed the officer's slide. I wonder if it had been a VP9 if it would have failed to fire and if it did fail, would there have been a different outcome? Other than that, yes great pistol, 15 round mag isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    The only issue I have with the VP9 is how if you push back on the slide it will kinda hang out of battery. Thinking of the Ferguson case, Michael Brown had grabbed the officer's slide. I wonder if it had been a VP9 if it would have failed to fire and if it did fail, would there have been a different outcome? Other than that, yes great pistol, 15 round mag isn't a dealbreaker for me.
    Hmmm, never saw that problem, but I've honestly never induced it either. Will check it out tonight. Not a fan if so, but at least it's likely to be a super uncommon problem?

And I always downloaded my Glock mags when I had them, so yeah, 15 rounds isn't a dealbreaker here either. Par for the course.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Well, if it matters that much to you, then go buy a G17, or a M&P..Problem solved.. Seriously, I don't get it..2 rnds really isn't that big of a deal. I mean, how many people here go ga-ga over the G43? And it holds what? 6rnds? Really? If 6+1 in a G43 is acceptable, then 15+1 in a VP9 should be plenty.. Besides that, how many times do you read about HK mags malfunctioning? Rarely. Both Glock and S&W have had more than their fair share of mag problems.. I'll take reliability over 2 extra rounds.
    Like I said in my original statement, it's my only super minor complaint with a pistol I am completely in love with. Hell, I would even take factory 20-rounders for the range, like Sig does. The VP9 grip is the size of the Glock 17, and I have never had spring issues with the G17 magazines, not saying they are infallible and will never fail though.

You are also comparing this to the G43 when it comes to capacity, I feel that it's two completely different tools. I carry my G43 in my pocket when I am wearing shorts. All other times it's a G19 with a 15-rounder in the gun, and a factory G17 magazine as a backup. If the VP9 grip was the same size as the 19 I would have no little super minor complaint whatsoever. Like I said, I absolutely love this gun.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you here. The one I had threw brass hard and straight into my face. I wasn't joking about a bleeding forehead earlier. I left the range one day with 4-5 bleeding cuts square in the middle of my forehead. People that deny or downplay the seriousness of the BTF issue are in denial or so overcome with Glock fanaticism that they can't see the truth even when it literally smacks them between the eyes.
    So true my gen4 19 would smack me in the right eye consistently, I developed a flinch, fixed it sort of with an Apex extractor
    ”Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people”
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by teksid View Post
    You can disagree if you want, but I never got cut, bruised or burned. I'm not a fanboy at all. My favorite pistol is the Steyr M9-A1. I compare all pistols to it. My Gen 2 G19 is a distant second.
    I really like my PPQ and my next gun will be an FNS9c. I'm just telling my experience.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=2128510How can something that only travels Six feet at best have enough force to cut you? I disagree.
    You may not have experienced it, but many have. I had cuts and brass burns to prove it. It's an established fact. Disagreeing with it only proves your unwillingness to accept facts in lieu of denial. Your particular gun may not do it. Good for you. But enough of them present the issue for it to be considered a problem.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Some ramblings on my H&K VP9

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    Not being able to fire even a little bit out of battery is not a bad thing, but I can see the issue if once slightly pushed out of battery during a scuffle the gun won't go back into battery without a tap. I have this happen all the time when I'm dry firing and only move the slide enough to reset the trigger. I usually have lots of dummy rounds in the may I case I manage to eject one so I don't know if it has anything to do with the super rough texture of the caps or a weak spring. Never tinkered with the slide with live ammo in the gun. I'll have to try without a mag I during dry fire and when the range dries up with live ammo. As an FYI had the same issue with the MP9.

WRT brass to the face. You can disagree all you want about whether it's possible or even possible to get hit hard enough to cut you. It does happen. You need to remember that BTF happens because things aren't working like designed/engineered. When all is fine the slide unlocks after pressure has dropped to a determined level, the slide is supposed to move back at a certain velocity... When you're getting BTF one or more of those things aren't going as intended so a case can be moving fast enough towards your face to hurt your and cause cuts or eye damage if you're in a defensive situation and haven't had the opportunity to call time out to get safety glasses.

WRT may capacity. Yes I agree that I'd like to get as many rounds into a mag as humanly possible. I'd take 100 RDS if it was reliable and concealable. Every Glock and MP I've used has been downloaded by atleast one round because tac reloads work better that way. On my G21 I actually dented a round slamming a fully loaded 13 rounder home on a closed action. Most likely a fluke, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Plus the downloaded mags are much easier to insert. The VP9, P30 USP... can be fully loaded to mfg specs and they insert just fine as is.

Now, what does all that mean... BUPKIS. We all have our preferences and in the end if what you have works and you train the shot out of it you're better off than most. I'd rather have to deal with some high dollar operator wanna be with a whiz bang gadget that he can't operate properly than a guy with a Lorcin who knows how to run it. 90% of it is the loose nut behind the trigger that counts.
    Last edited by TAZ; 05-27-15 at 12:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Like I said in my original statement, it's my only super minor complaint with a pistol I am completely in love with. Hell, I would even take factory 20-rounders for the range, like Sig does. The VP9 grip is the size of the Glock 17, and I have never had spring issues with the G17 magazines, not saying they are infallible and will never fail though.

You are also comparing this to the G43 when it comes to capacity, I feel that it's two completely different tools. I carry my G43 in my pocket when I am wearing shorts. All other times it's a G19 with a 15-rounder in the gun, and a factory G17 magazine as a backup. If the VP9 grip was the same size as the 19 I would have no little super minor complaint whatsoever. Like I said, I absolutely love this gun.
    My point was, (although I probably didn't make it well) that if 6+1 is acceptable, then 15+1 should be plenty, and the 2 additional rounds really don't matter that much. I agree they are two different tools. I was just using the G43 as a somewhat extreme example of how people can accept different mag capacity's and still feel comfortable.. As far as the VP9c goes, If it does come out, I'm thinking HK will go with USPc/P2000 mags for it. That's provided it makes it into production. With HK's financial problems ($ 300 million euro debt at high interest) and the ongoing current issues with the German gov't over the G36, and a seemly inept German upper management that just doesn't seem to understand the American market, I honestly don't know if HK is going to be around much longer.. Might not be a bad idea to stock up on parts, or possibly another VP9 as a spare... That's kinda why I bought the Gen4 G17, If Glock were to go out of business tomorrow, you'd probably be able to get parts 30yrs from now..I honestly can't say the same for HK..
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My point was, (although I probably didn't make it well) that if 6+1 is acceptable, then 15+1 should be plenty, and the 2 additional rounds really don't matter that much. I agree they are two different tools. I was just using the G43 as a somewhat extreme example of how people can accept different mag capacity's and still feel comfortable.. As far as the VP9c goes, If it does come out, I'm thinking HK will go with USPc/P2000 mags for it. That's provided it makes it into production. With HK's financial problems ($ 300 million euro debt at high interest) and the ongoing current issues with the German gov't over the G36, and a seemly inept German upper management that just doesn't seem to understand the American market, I honestly don't know if HK is going to be around much longer.. Might not be a bad idea to stock up on parts, or possibly another VP9 as a spare... That's kinda why I bought the Gen4 G17, If Glock were to go out of business tomorrow, you'd probably be able to get parts 30yrs from now..I honestly can't say the same for HK..
    You make some very good points here. I feel the best thing HK could do financially is open up a big 'ol plant here in the states and lose the liberal mindset they have towards civilian rifle ownership. Start making the G36, HK416 SBR and other HK rifles over here and watch their funds turn around in my completely uneducated financial advisory opinion.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The VP9-SK will most likely use the P30-SK mags. This only makes sense since the full size models share mags. This also allows the larger mags to be backwards compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast