Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel weight question

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Barrel weight question

I'm in the process of building a carbine for my fiancee for her birthday, doing an 80% lower, geissele SSA trigger, Magpul's pink furniture and a 16" BCM carbine upper (would have gone with midlength but can't find the pink handguard in that length)

Anyways, while she is physically fit and strong I'm going for a relatively light weight build. Would anyone happen to know the weight difference between BCM's Standard 16" M4 carbine upper and their Standard 16" C8 CFW upper? The barrel profile on the C8 CFW looks like the SOCOM profile, with the Simon Sleeve on the front.

Her birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I would like to get it done before (still have to mill out the lower and get it anodized) should I wait and hope the M4 carbine upper comes back in stock or go with the C8 CFW upper?

Feedback Score
    The medium profile M4A1 type barrels are noticeably heavier and poorer-handling than gov't profile... even more so with that Simon sleeve on it. If light weight is your goal, I wouldn't get one. Are you stuck on BCM? You could get an M4gery barreled upper built to the same specs from PSA, Colt, DD, or Spikes.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    With the sleeve, prolly about five ounces.

Get a lw barrel. The gov't profile is retarded.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get a LW profile mid-length upper and put the pink XTM covers on it. Better, lighter barrel and still covered in pink.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    With the sleeve, prolly about five ounces.

Get a lw barrel. The gov't profile is retarded.
    This. If you want the best accuracy for a given weight and length, you want a taper from thick at the breech to thin at the muzzle. Having it get skinny and then thick again makes no sense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
    I'm in the process of building a carbine for my fiancee for her birthday, doing an 80% lower, geissele SSA trigger, Magpul's pink furniture and a 16" BCM carbine upper (would have gone with midlength but can't find the pink handguard in that length)

Anyways, while she is physically fit and strong I'm going for a relatively light weight build. Would anyone happen to know the weight difference between BCM's Standard 16" M4 carbine upper and their Standard 16" C8 CFW upper? The barrel profile on the C8 CFW looks like the SOCOM profile, with the Simon Sleeve on the front.

Her birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I would like to get it done before (still have to mill out the lower and get it anodized) should I wait and hope the M4 carbine upper comes back in stock or go with the C8 CFW upper?
    If you're looking for pink furniture Cav Arms does a set standard handguards in pink for midlengths:

http://www.cavmfg.com/AR15-Furniture...Colors_c19.htm

Feedback Score
    Colt 6720 might be worth looking into.

Feedback Score
    99 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    This. If you want the best accuracy for a given weight and length, you want a taper from thick at the breech to thin at the muzzle. Having it get skinny and then thick again makes no sense.
    Which is exactly why the M4A1 or C8 SFW profiles should be good shooters.

I'd get the C8 SFW. BCM doesn't make a light weight carbine length gas system upper (like the Colt 6720) any longer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thank you for the replies guys, I already have the Magpul pink furniture on hand and the Cav arms stuff isn't the same shade of pink. In looking around I saw that Grant sells the Colt lightweight 16" carbine stripped upper, but its currently sold out. I shot him an email seeing if he has an ETA on them. So I'll go with that from him more than likely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by col.1981 View Post
    Which is exactly why the M4A1 or C8 SFW profiles should be good shooters.

I'd get the C8 SFW. BCM doesn't make a light weight carbine length gas system upper (like the Colt 6720) any longer.
    The M4A1 profile still has a little bit of a neck in front of the front sight, but you're correct that it's far better than an M4 profile. I don't know what the C8 SFW profile is.

I tend to prefer somewhat lighter profiles than M4A1 for run and gun semiauto guns, even if some people call me a weight weenie because of it. http://ballisticadvantagellc.com/?pr...on-midlength-1 is what I run, which seems like a nice compromise for weight to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast