Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Having a hard time with my G23.

Feedback Score

Having a hard time with my G23.

Ever since I bought my G4 G23 I’ve struggled to shoot it accurately. And it’s not me, it’s the gun. I know how well I can shoot a handgun, and this one just isn’t measuring up*. It shoots about 3” high at seven yards, and is much more exacerbated at 25 yards. I’ve done some beta testing recently, shooting slow as can be off-hand as well as from a rest and even had a buddy shoot it as well. I currently have ~ 1300 rounds through the gun. Otherwise the gun runs like a champ, zero issues.

I don’t want to dump the gun. I am pretty invested into it: ~10 mags, Heinie sights, RC holster(s), etc. I am also not wanting to jump ship and go to another platform because of all the other Glocks I already have (including a G27). I also have a P30 V1 40 that I like a lot and carry, but still want the G23. I typically carry one of three guns, depending on the weather: G27/G23/P30. Unfortunately, I have all but lost confidence in the G23.

At the same time, I am not wanting to dump a bunch of money into it to try and remedy the issue. I am considering going to a local range and seeing if they have a G23 to rent, then taking out that barrel and trying it in mine. If it’s a barrel issue, I’ll buy a new one and be done with it. I don’t have an issue carrying with an aftermarket barrel (SL, KKM, etc) so long as I make sure it runs 110%. If it’s more than just the barrel, I’ll put the OE sights back on and it might go with me to the next gun show.

Any ideas/suggestions?

*Because people claim this all the time and 99% of the time it’s the shooter, I will say I have three G17s, have a G27, and had a G19 and a G30 and never had the issue with any of those that I am with this one. I am no pistol superstar, but I know what I am capable of and this Glock just isn’t coming through.

Feedback Score
    I have been having the same problem with my G26. I know it's me not the gun because I have had tight groups with it when I took my time shooting it. I'm planning on ditching my sight set up because it doesn't work for me(Pro I dots) for a 3 dot set up, and dry fire practice.
    Custom pimp my Orange County Overhauled American Sons of Enhanced M4gery Game Changa Neva Been Done Befo piston driven Tactikul Desert Carbean with its own mags

Feedback Score
    I'm no expert, and I am sure you will hear from some who are, but...

Are you sure your new sights are set properly?
    Have you tried different ammo and get the same results?
    Have you let someone else shoot it to see how they do, someone with experience shooting the G23?

As I am sure you already know, the .40 is a snappy round. When I had a G23 and a G27, I found I was typically more accurate with my G27 than I was with my G23.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just get a taller front sight post.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think trying a different barrel is a good idea and a great place to start. If you're shooting it from a rest and others are shooting it with the same result I would say its prob the barrel.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Just get a taller front sight or a shorter rear sight. If the only problem is elevation.

Especially if you replaced the sights. You might have accidently got the wrong sight height from your supplier.

I had Trijicon send me the wrong rear sight on a G21 one time. Even though it was labled correctly, the height was wrong. (Compared to another G21 that I had) Very similar shooting results to what you are having. I called them and they said to ship them the slide and they replaced the rear sight and I was dead on from there.

Feedback Score
    Based on what you say I'm confident it's not you.

Taller front sight post, or file down the top of the rear sight, or a set of adjustable sights.

On one of my Glocks, I have the Meprolight adjustable night sight set (get the whole front and rear set as a tall front sight is required). Downside to this: the front sight is very tall and the rear sight is bulky; not the optimal sight package for carry. Upside: you can dial in your zero at the desired range.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The next time you are out shooting, have someone else shoot a magazine through it and see what the results are.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon167 View Post
    Ever since I bought my G4 G23 I’ve struggled to shoot it accurately. And it’s not me, it’s the gun. I know how well I can shoot a handgun, and this one just isn’t measuring up*. It shoots about 3” high at seven yards, and is much more exacerbated at 25 yards. I’ve done some beta testing recently, shooting slow as can be off-hand as well as from a rest and even had a buddy shoot it as well. I currently have ~ 1300 rounds through the gun. Otherwise the gun runs like a champ, zero issues.

I don’t want to dump the gun. I am pretty invested into it: ~10 mags, Heinie sights, RC holster(s), etc. I am also not wanting to jump ship and go to another platform because of all the other Glocks I already have (including a G27). I also have a P30 V1 40 that I like a lot and carry, but still want the G23. I typically carry one of three guns, depending on the weather: G27/G23/P30. Unfortunately, I have all but lost confidence in the G23.

At the same time, I am not wanting to dump a bunch of money into it to try and remedy the issue. I am considering going to a local range and seeing if they have a G23 to rent, then taking out that barrel and trying it in mine. If it’s a barrel issue, I’ll buy a new one and be done with it. I don’t have an issue carrying with an aftermarket barrel (SL, KKM, etc) so long as I make sure it runs 110%. If it’s more than just the barrel, I’ll put the OE sights back on and it might go with me to the next gun show.

Any ideas/suggestions?

*Because people claim this all the time and 99% of the time it’s the shooter, I will say I have three G17s, have a G27, and had a G19 and a G30 and never had the issue with any of those that I am with this one. I am no pistol superstar, but I know what I am capable of and this Glock just isn’t coming through.
    Pretty normal for a Glock to shoot high. It gets exacerbated when the slide to barrel hood fit is loose. If you can, get a feeler gauge and measure the space between the slide and barrel hood will tell us a lot. My guess is that you have a .003 or .004 fit (which is pretty loose).

A drop in barrel from SL or KKM would probably fix your issue (to a certain degree).

C4

Feedback Score
    I took it apart tonight and noticed this marking on the bottom of the barrel. Is this normal? Again, gun has 1300 rounds through it but I looked at my Gen3 G17 with ~4000 through it and there are no marks at all. Maybe the duel recoil spring lug is rubbing it and causing the barrel to not seat properly? Maybe I'm grasping at straws...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast