Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Gold Cup Trophy verus Ruger GP100

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    One thing to ponder...

.357's going off indoors are deafening. A standard velocity 45acp from a 5" gun would be easier to deal with, as the shooter. Both rounds would be effective against the shootee
    Dude, .45 is pretty brutal on the ole eardrums too.

Unfortunately, I speak from experience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The Gold Cup Trophy does NOT have the Eliason rear sight. I have had a Colt with the Eliason rear sight and have replaced the roll pin a few times because it was beginning to fail. I should replace it with a solid ipn
    I stand corrected, forgot they went to something else. If he feels comfortable with his sight picture then have at it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Fixed sights on the 1911 and some very good tried and true ten round Magazines, that would me my choice and the changes I would make to the 1911 to make it the best choice of the two.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Dude, .45 is pretty brutal on the ole eardrums too.

Unfortunately, I speak from experience.
    .45 doesn't have the muzzle flash of a .357 though. Firing a .357 indoors without ear protection would probably deafen, blind, and make the world spin a bit from the concussion rattling your eardrum/balance system

Feedback Score
    One of the pluses of a revolver is its state of readiness. Loaded up ready to go yet safe, just point and click. They are tolerant of neglect but not abuse as an auto is. I would not keep a government model cocked and locked in a drawer or some other bedside location. I do keep a loaded revolver ready to go confidant it is safe in a drawer with my socks, etc. Fire a .357 magnum at an indoor range to get a small idea of what the muzzle blast will be. There are standard pressure .38's I would use before a full power magnum.

Feedback Score
    In general with regard to revolvers vs. semi auto pistols: my dad lost the ability to cycle the slide and load the first round in his semi-auto pistols after about age 70. The hand strength required was something that had deteriorated as he got older. I sold him my Ruger Security Six and he quickly found he had no trouble shooting it.

I consider the big frame revolver to be an essential part of anyone's long term self-defense goals because of this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Between Kain and Mistwolf it is all covered.

For me, the recoil/muzzle blast of .357 is the big difference between the two. All the pros and cons both ways are valid considerations. It's that recoil/muzzle blast of .357 that makes it unacceptable to me.

my 10mm has greater muzzle energy than .357 with less blast and recoil...
    Last edited by soulezoo; 07-29-14 at 14:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    You are 100 % right with all the adjustments of the Gold cup Trophy. Basically I was pitting a 1911- 45 caliber against a 357 magnum revolver to see the pluses & minus's of both handguns for home defense. I will consider the 1911's you mentioned. Thanks for your post.
    I have a major hard on for a Gold Cup that pretty much never goes away ... kinda like priapism lol
    But I have a plain black simple 1991A1 that stays in my Jeep or my domicile at all times for any eventuality
    One day I will get that Gold Cup and fix my "problem" lol
    Until then my barebones Colt will do just fine thank you

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Why buy a Colt Gold Cup then spend a lot of money having it fixed/reliability tuned for use as a home defense pistol? Between the two choices, the revolver would be the better choice albeit 357 would be overkill with the added recoil, muzzle blast and noise. Another choice would be a Glock 17.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Why buy a Colt Gold Cup then spend a lot of money having it fixed/reliability tuned for use as a home defense pistol? Between the two choices, the revolver would be the better choice albeit 357 would be overkill with the added recoil, muzzle blast and noise. Another choice would be a Glock 17.
    What makes you think a Gold Cup would need to be fixed or reliability tuned?? I have 6 Gov't model Colts, have owned two more, and out of the box all have run as well or better than about an equal number of 9mm Glocks I've owned.

I had one with a loose plunger tube. Other than that, just case after case of ammo digestion with no stoppages.

The cheap ass junk Phillipine pistols and people using all manner of mags and ammo that are not compatible give 1911s a bad reputation.

IME, Colts live up to Glocks old reputation better than Glocks do. IE: Use good ammo, supplied (7 round) mags, lube according to directions, and stay with OEM parts for best reliability. That works with a Gov't model Colt, not so much with Glocks anymore....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast