Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1911 Gold Cup Trophy verus Ruger GP100

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    What makes you think a Gold Cup would need to be fixed or reliability tuned?? I have 6 Gov't model Colts, have owned two more, and out of the box all have run as well or better than about an equal number of 9mm Glocks I've owned.....
    30 years of experience with 1911 style pistols. During the 1980's and continuing on it was a given fact that if one purchased a colt 1911, it needed total reliability tuning. For owners who shot 50 rounds a year and experienced stoppages, it wasn't a big deal to clear the stoppage and move on. They still bragged at work about their gold cups. However in the competition and SHTF world, no one used a 1911 (especially colt) without performing reliability tuning. Colt created an entire market of 1911 smiths who made a killing making the things work. The Wilson's and Baer's made a fortune in manufacturing a 1911 that actually worked thus charging for the pistol and enhanced manufacturing practices to product reliable pistols. Say what you wish about Glocks, but they remain the #1 go to pistol around the world.

"If you don't take any better care of your 1911 than you do your lawn mower, get a Glock" - Quote by LAV
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 07-30-14 at 16:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Seriously, I would take one for home defense any day. All week. Both are good, but with the reloading, 1911 all day. Everyone else has hit all the points I would make so my advise...

Buy both.
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    A lot of good points so far.

Both guns are combat capable. Each offer certain advantages.

Chances are you won't have to reload but the revolver is more likely to run dry first.
    Reloading the revolver in the dark or while moving is going to be substantially more challenging than refreshing the 1911.

I know people who can post sub 3 sec reloads with the GP-100 but that is on the square range with round nosed-ammo. I don't think they can do better than 3 sec when using defensive ammunition. 3 seconds to reload may not sound impressive but try it some time and see what you get.

I'm willing to bet the same people are able to get a 2 sec reload (or less) with the 1911.

Revolvers rarely suffer stoppages but when they do have problems, they tend to be more difficult to sort out.
    For instance, getting a shell trapped under the extractor star requires a lot of fine motor skill to address and make you want to transition to another gun.

The revolver will fire either 38 or 357s. If a lot of 38s are fired through the gun they tend to leave a stubborn, crusty fouling in each chamber that can frustrate putting 357s in and getting them back out after they've been fired. Properly cleaned, its not a problem but if overlooked it becomes an issue.

Most of the 1911 quirks have been mentioned previously.

Feedback Score
    If you decide on a GP100, consider the Wiley Clapp or Match Champion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123