Thread: AAC 556-SD and Pilot 2 info request

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

AAC 556-SD and Pilot 2 info request

I found a place that is running a bundle special for both of these suppresors. Seems to be a good price for both cans. I about had my mind made up to get the Silencerco Sparrow and AAC SDN-6 for my first cans, in that order. I know the 556-SD is marketed as an entry level can, how does it compare to the M42000 and SDN-6 (obviously I know one is 5.56 and the 7.62)? I think the Pilot is alloy and not steel, which is why I had decided on the Sparrow. The Pilot 2 is also only rated for .22lr. If anyone has experience with the 556 or Pilot please chime in and let me what your thoughts on them are. And if I would be a decent decsion to grab the bundle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    I found a place that is running a bundle special for both of these suppresors. Seems to be a good price for both cans. I about had my mind made up to get the Silencerco Sparrow and AAC SDN-6 for my first cans, in that order. I know the 556-SD is marketed as an entry level can, how does it compare to the M42000 and SDN-6 (obviously I know one is 5.56 and the 7.62)? I think the Pilot is alloy and not steel, which is why I had decided on the Sparrow. The Pilot 2 is also only rated for .22lr. If anyone has experience with the 556 or Pilot please chime in and let me what your thoughts on them are. And if I would be a decent decsion to grab the bundle.
    Curious where you found the deal? I know Silencer Shop has it advertised at $760, but wasn't sure if it was their idea or something AAC was doing. Especially considering the $200 credit has been extended until Sep.

I saw somebody post they had a local dealer offering a 762/Pilot combo.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I can't speak to the 556-SD. I have an M4-2000, but it's been extremely good to me. I had to modify the mounts in order to get it to lock up properly (AAC claims "wobble" is acceptable, but I'm not buying it) I have about 10,000 rounds through mine and it still works great.

I have a Pilot 2, I got one of the original production runs in early 2011. It has about 5,000+ rounds through it and has never been cleaned (I'm actually ordering the baffle removal tool right now) and still sounds great. My only beef with this can would be that it is aluminum - I would love to be able to dunk it in some chemicals and dissolve the lead and carbon build up without damaging the baffles.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have no direct experience with the Pilot 2 but I do own a SDN-6 and a Sparrow SS. I really like both and would steer you away from the 556-SD. SDN is shorter, more versitle (I use it on 556 and 300 SBR's) and will withstand more of a beating than the SD. The Sparrow preforms well on everything from precision bolt rifles to pistols and glock 22lr uppers. I also consider these items something I will own for quite a while so I'd rather shell out a few more bucks now and not be disappointed later. Buy once, cry once!
    Silence can not be misquoted!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a 556-SD that should be arriving via Form 3 next week.... the price, coupled with the promo... figured it was worth a shot.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Both are obsolete by 10 years entry level cans.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    I've got an SDN-6 and expect my form 3 for my 556-SD to be here any day now. I figured for the cost I couldn't beat it. $721 out the door, NFA stamp included.