Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Chest Rig 101- Introduction to the Art of the Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Docsherm... is it possible to see photos of your rigs on you to better see how they fit and you run them?
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    So what about an IFAK on the side of the UCR?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    So what about an IFAK on the side of the UCR?
    Since it only has 2 channels you are limited. There are a few good options. Here are some that I would suggest:

- HSGI Bleeder pouch - Does not carry a lot but is compact and will not get in your way.

http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-Improved-...-p/hsg.205.htm

- Esstac DST Blow Out Medical Pouch - Also low profile does not carry a lot but is removable and has a place for a TQ.

http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-DST-Blo...-p/ess.246.htm

- ATS Small Upright GP Pouch with Insert - It can carry a little more and can also double as a GP pouch.

http://www.skdtac.com/ATS-Small-Upri...-p/ats.117.htm

http://www.skdtac.com/ATS-Low-Profil...-p/ats.111.htm
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post
    Docsherm... is it possible to see photos of your rigs on you to better see how they fit and you run them?
    As is is now I do not have moist of the rigs anymore. I only have three at this time, the BFG 10 Speed, a BCS Tactical 5 pocket , and a my custom Summit Tactical Systems (STS) Chest rig. All of which are set up to be worn with and without body armor.

What are you looking for?

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score

Chest Rig 101- Introduction to the Art of the Chest Rig

I like the mayflower
    Hope I can find a BIG RIG !!

Sent from my rocket ship using
    My cell'yImageUploadedByTapatalk1446537007.666699.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    New to the forum, just found this. I really dig this thread, but I see that it's kinda dead. Sucks. Good info in here. I love building/playing with rigs but I have no combat or real world experience so threads like this are a Godsend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsalagi88 View Post
    New to the forum, just found this. I really dig this thread, but I see that it's kinda dead. Sucks. Good info in here. I love building/playing with rigs but I have no combat or real world experience so threads like this are a Godsend.

If you have any questions feel free to post them here or PM me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    If you have any questions feel free to post them here or PM me.
    Wilco, doc.

Feedback Score
    I've been a DIY type of guy for decades now. I used to modify my LC-1 and LBV gear before I even went active duty, as I was conditioning myself for ruck marching before joining, collecting gear since I was a kid, and had my own full allotment of basic issue TA-50 beforehand. After wearing it for a while, I realized it basically sucked, too many pieces of metal digging into you, poor suspension and attachment systems, poor load distribution due to pistol belt foundation dated to at least the early 1900s, if not earlier, poor pouch closure systems for the most part, exposed metal fasteners all over, lack of secure pouch attachment, etc.

MOLLE/PALS was a godsend for those of us who actually lived out of our gear. I started making my own MOLLE harnesses and vests right away, when we were still using LC-1 garbage.

This is one of my heavier chest rigs that is a bit overkill for most people's liking. Just on one panel, you can carry 2 mag pouches, a SAW pouch, and a 3-wide utility or IFAK pouch.

The harness has integrated hydration hose management if you look carefully. I've been doing this on my personal vests dating way back, and even built my LC-1 suspenders to hide it when we had to wear that crap. I put one of the smaller Camelbaks in my buttpack to conceal it back in the day, so some SGM wouldn't freak out (they did anyway).

Here's a little Micro Rig with integrated hydration I made for a friend recently. I also made him the CZ Scorpion pouches and NODs pouch for his PVS-14s. All my pouches are padded and lined with 400D packcloth to protect the contents, especially feed lips and electronics like Radios, LRFs, and NODs. I was in 4 different Airborne units, so I saw a lot of gear get pounded on jumps, and thought that pouches should be padded by default. I also saw a lot of binding tape get ripped off the edges of pack flaps and pouches because it was only single-stitched, so I double or triple my stitches, and sometimes bar-tack stress points where I've seen stuff fail before.

This one is pretty deceptive at first when you look at it. Seems like a simple little chest rig at first, but it has hidden features throughout.

Doubles as a PC, fully modular with every major component removable and replaceable for different loads if he wanted.

Shown with exposed SAPI plate. I made my own covers for SAPI plates that include retention for split-front harnesses as well.

One thing I have done with my own Camelbak pouches is incorporate a survival meal pouch inside of them. I take a broken down MRE bag and put in a low-profile meal plus maybe an energy bar and keep them in the survival pouch for an emergency meal, not a normal meal feed plan. This hydration pouch is also insulated, padded, and lined with 400D packcloth, semi-rigid, detachable for ease of filling, and integrated with channels through the padded harness for no-snag hose management. Most hose management loops I have seen still allow snag, seem like after-thoughts to me, so I've made my own to allow the very least amount of hose exposure as possible.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-04-17 at 18:23.

Feedback Score
    Looks great - I really like the hose concealment you have. Really well done!

I'm a DIYer also and have made my own placards (before they were a thing), chest rigs, and have modified tons of gear for friends. I really found my niche with modifying gear.

Here's a couple examples -

You can't tell but this used to have 2 inch straps and buckles, was poorly sewn, and was about 3 channels of MOLLE per side wider. I took it apart, replaced it with the h-harness you see now, and shortened it to 7 channels per side.

This is a SADF M83 chest rig. I didn't do all the mods on this but I did take the mag pouches off, shorten them 1 inch to accommodate M4 mags better and re-enforced the flaps.

I also have a Mayflower UW Gen 1 that I turned into a Gen 4. I can't find pictures right now but you can imagine what it looks like.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast