Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: GLOCK reliability

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    We are still waiting for any our Gen3 G17s to act up...
    They range from one to five years in age, some have decent round count o them.
    Only maintenance has been to swap out recoil springs every 3,500 rounds and three slides were sent back to Glock to be refinished.
    Only non-OEM parts are Ameriglo steel sights.
    Pretty boring, but no complaints here.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have north of ~30K now through my Gen4 G17 which is still running fine on the Apex FRE and 30274 ejector for most of those rounds. It did do the BTF with the old ejector and stock extractor after a lowish number of rounds when it was new. It was an early model Gen 4.

I picked up a G19 Gen4 that mainly gets carried and it got the same treatment as the 17 and has been rock solid, but I didn't even give it a chance to fail, the extractor was replaced straight away and it came with the new ejector.

All mine get the same treatment: 3.5ish connector, APEX FRE, sights and FBI mag release, so I'm into a new Glock for ~$200-$250 in parts from the word go, but granted, most of that is new sights which would go on virtually any new pistol anyway. That being said mine have been boringly reliable afterwards to the point I don't ever worry about them any longer. The Gen4s seem to be accurate as well, almost on par with my CZ, which is no slouch @ 25 yds.

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by SPDGG View Post

Again, Imho:

It's sad to say, but I don't expect majority of the firearms on the market to be 100% grab and go. I don't care if its metal or plastic, it is what it is. Most have fixes or better material replacements. Once setup, most everything will run smooth with proper maintenance.

I have found just the opposite to be true.

I have been shooting for 45 years ( I'm 50yo.... do the math ) and 10 years ago I would have posted my background but after dealing with Keyboard Kommandos who thought that their Super Top Secret Mall Ninja Training and combat experience from playing "Call of Dooty" on their Mom's wii was more "valuable" than real life experiences I quit posting about it.

Anywhooooo,

Back in 1993 I bought a Glock 20 10mm and was invited to shoot an IDPA style match at an indoor range in Plano, TX so I brought along my G20 and a friend brought his Dallas PD issued G17 to use during the match.

For some unknown reason they refused to allow us to use our Glocks because they claimed they were unsafe, well documented to blow up after a couple a mags and some were known to blow up the very first time they were fired.

This was standard gunshop/gunshow BS that went around about Glocks in the early days.

Twenty years later the reappear. What up with that? We called it "Glock Bashing".

Twenty years later we both still have our Glocks ( friend bought his from DPD after it was replaced with a newer G17 ) and after firing +7,500rds through my G20 it has never hiccuped much less exploded. Friend's G17 has had over 25,000 rounds fired though it without a hiccup.

In over 20 years of owning and shooting Glocks I've never seen one hiccup in any form, fashion and/or manner that wasn't either ammo or operator related.

Actually I've only see one well known name brand semi-auto pistol that needed work new out of the box. It was a Browning made Walther ( DBM IIRC ). Functioned great but you couldn't hit the boardside of a barn with it even if you were inside the barm at the time.

Paul

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

GLOCK reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

I have been shooting for 45 years ( I'm 50yo.... do the math ) and 10 years ago I would have posted my background but after dealing with Keyboard Kommandos who thought that their Super Top Secret Mall Ninja Training and combat experience from playing "Call of Dooty" on their Mom's wii was more "valuable" than real life experiences I quit posting about it.

Anywhooooo,

Back in 1993 I bought a Glock 20 10mm and was invited to shoot an IDPA style match at an indoor range in Plano, TX so I brought along my G20 and a friend brought his Dallas PD issued G17 to use during the match.

For some unknown reason they refused to allow us to use our Glocks because they claimed they were unsafe, well documented to blow up after a couple a mags and some were known to blow up the very first time they were fired.

This was standard gunshop/gunshow BS that went around about Glocks in the early days.

Twenty years later the reappear. What up with that? We called it "Glock Bashing".

Twenty years later we both still have our Glocks ( friend bought his from DPD after it was replaced with a newer G17 ) and after firing +7,500rds through my G20 it has never hiccuped much less exploded. Friend's G17 has had over 25,000 rounds fired though it without a hiccup.

In over 20 years of owning and shooting Glocks I've never seen one hiccup in any form, fashion and/or manner that wasn't either ammo or operator related.

Actually I've only see one well known name brand semi-auto pistol that needed work new out of the box. It was a Browning made Walther ( DBM IIRC ). Functioned great but you couldn't hit the boardside of a barn with it even if you were inside the barm at the time.

Paul
    Paul, I'm with on the reliability of a Glock, but times change. Just like Glocks became widely accepted when at one time they weren't. Seems as if the company as a whole has became complacent and has allowed some shortfalls into their bread and butter. Hopefully it will be resolved and their name restored, but until they get their collective asses together and go back to what works, they will continue to fall in respectability as a renowned pistol manufacturer.
    Last edited by Scrubber3; 07-22-14 at 23:21. Reason: autocorrect sucks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    "Stengun" Paul,

Thanks for your feedback/input, but I guess I was not clear or you missed my point.
    If it runs, shoot it. If it doesn't, get it to, move on-done, keep shooting. Simple.

Also, I am referring to present production/offerings. Well documented that other manufactures. not just Glock, make unannounced changes to fix performance issues. It is hard to name a firearms manuf. that hasn't made revisions to their current lineup, if there is a list - the list will be short or -----.

imho: the Glock BTF or whatever has been blown out of proportion. It is or was there, and I say "out of proportion" now because there was/is a fix. Yes, it takes some trial with a few OE parts & for some an upgrade to APEX Tactical's FRE, but we do have a solution & "for me" its a better setup than what OE offered - Again My Opinion. I am however glad we have forums such as M4C so we can bounce off experiences and share a solution that works. For me, Gen3 or Gen4 Glocks get APEX Tactical FRE setups. Besides that, the new Gen4 small frame 9mm Glocks have been improvements in re: ergo & barrel lock up [production dependent in my experience].
    Last edited by SPDGG; 07-23-14 at 00:19.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    If you haven't seen a Glock malfunction outside of user error or ammo problems in 20 years, you haven't seen many Glocks. It's not Glock bashing. It's just the reality of any brand or platform.

And as for us having a fix to the well-documented BTF problem that still exists to this day, even Apex's parts don't always do the job. I had a G17 that needed the slide fit to a new extractor as well as the port lowered to get it to function (done by Apex as well; can't sing Randy Lee's praises enough).

The problem -- whatever is causing it -- definitely does not have a definitive cure in some guns. Glock has gotten sloppy.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    How long is this thread going to last?

It's just the same thing page after page of someone saying they have no problem then the same people jumping in saying Glocks don't even work.

In the real world they are great guns but on the internet they are junk.

Yes I understand that there have been problems but you get that with anything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    If you haven't seen a Glock malfunction outside of user error or ammo problems in 20 years, you haven't seen many Glocks. It's not Glock bashing. It's just the reality of any brand or platform.

And as for us having a fix to the well-documented BTF problem that still exists to this day, even Apex's parts don't always do the job. I had a G17 that needed the slide fit to a new extractor as well as the port lowered to get it to function (done by Apex as well; can't sing Randy Lee's praises enough).

The problem -- whatever is causing it -- definitely does not have a definitive cure in some guns. Glock has gotten sloppy.
    Yeah the PSP had issues with the Glock 21 and decided to go to Sig.
    ”Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people”
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

Anywhooooo,

Paul
    Some people aren't Glock bashing, they have real problems. If they were bashing they wouldn't be spending money and time trying to fix it
    ”Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people”
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double3 View Post
    How long is this thread going to last?

It's just the same thing page after page of someone saying they have no problem then the same people jumping in saying Glocks don't even work.

In the real world they are great guns but on the internet they are junk.

Yes I understand that there have been problems but you get that with anything.
    The thread's going to last as long as people keep wrongly asserting that Glocks don't have issues outside of the internet, like this is some made-up or overblown conspiracy to destroy their favorite brand. If this were any other brand, the company would have been thrown long under the bus by now (can you imagine if it were HK?), but because it's Glock, people are in complete denial for some reason.

And as for getting problems with any gun/brand, yes, but not like this. This is a consistent and documented problem that hasn't been fixed (just like the 9mm M&P accuracy problems that persisted for years). There's a difference between random problems that happen due to humans being humans and machines being machines, and a consistent problem that continues to crop up for years in a specific brand. Every company suffers from the former. Glock suffers from the latter. Big difference.

ETA: or it'll last until a mod kills it. Looking likely now, I think.
    Last edited by DreadPirateMoyer; 07-23-14 at 08:01.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast