Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 14.5 Perm attached FH and Barrel Questions

Feedback Score

14.5 Perm attached FH and Barrel Questions

If I have a Perm attached FH on a 14.5, AR barrel, can I not remove the barrel?

If the Perm attached FH is on Can't I just cut the barrel down to 14" exact and rethread and then add another MD to bring it back to the legal limit?

If I cut the barrel down and put a fake Can on the fro t end, and weld it on, will I still be in compliance.

Do I need a tax stamp to have a fake Can on the front of the AR?

Is the FSB remoavable on the 14.5 BCM Socom, With perm attachment?

I am super mew to the world of AR's and all advice is welcomed.

But to give u a look at things. I just purchased a (Blem) BCM 14.5" Socom Upper for my 1st build. Nervous for it's arrival.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish? A welded FH can be removed but is usually destroyed in the process.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RecklessRookie View Post
    You can still remove the barrel, just not the FSB.
    If the Perm attached FH is on Can't I just cut the barrel down to 14" exact and rethread and then add another MD to bring it back to the legal limit?
    It would be easier to just cut off the muzzle device
    If I cut the barrel down and put a fake Can on the fro t end, and weld it on, will I still be in compliance.
    That would be completely pointless, but yes as long as the welded on muzzle device brings the overall barrel length back to 16 inches, you could do that
    Do I need a tax stamp to have a fake Can on the front of the AR?
    No, a fake can is just wasted material though and provides no gain in anything other than weight
    Is the FSB remoavable on the 14.5 BCM Socom, With perm attachment?
    Not without, either cutting the FBS off or more reasonably cutting the muzzle device off
    I am super mew to the world of AR's and all advice is welcomed.

But to give u a look at things. I just purchased a (Blem) BCM 14.5" Socom Upper for my 1st build. Nervous for it's arrival.

By choosing that set up, you have limited your options as to what rail you can use. A steady hand and a dremal tool to the muzzle device can fix that though. Just cut where the weld in on the muzzle device then a cut on the opposite side
    Last edited by themighty9mm; 07-17-14 at 15:43.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    ***may be a little redundant - was typing this probably the same time as mighty9mm

Is the FSB removable on the 14.5 BCM Socom, With perm attachment?

-Yes .. you can remove the whole barrel assembly at the barrel nut - remove your gas tube first.
    -Um .. you can do anything you want, but why? This idea sounds like a costly headache
    -Yes the FSB is removable - the perm'ed FH is the hindrance of actually removing it from the barrel.
    -So, you will have 2 14.5" upper groups?

Like GH41 asked ... whats the ultimate goal of all this?
    Last edited by tbaker; 07-17-14 at 15:37. Reason: mighty9mm beat me to it

Feedback Score
    As a newby, I was just concerned because everybody says how much of a headache and how costly and how limited you will be if u have a oerm FH on your Barrel. But if u can buy a barrel for cheap. Just get another barrel and FSB Or LP gas block. And hand guards.

I was scared because I brought a perm attached FH on a 14.5 BCM And thought I was screwed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As a newby, I was just concerned because everybody says how much of a headache and how costly and how limited you will be if u have a oerm FH on your Barrel. But if u can buy a barrel for cheap. Just get another barrel and FSB Or LP gas block. And hand guards.
    It's all a matter of $$, configuation/component selection, your purpose for the gun, and proper tools for the job or sending it to someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Before you go dump a ton of money into tearing up the upper, get your upper and some handguards (inexpensive m4 or MOE handguards temporarily) and go to the range. It's a BCM so you shouldn't be disappointed. Then re-assess your needs/wants after.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I was scared because I brought a perm attached FH on a 14.5 BCM And thought I was screwed.

The problem is the barrel is the expensive part. To the tune of around $250+ dollars. So again buying a complete upper and immediately swapping the barrel doesn't make any sense.

Tbakers advice is sound and at this point really is your best bet. As I'm assuming you bought the blem upper to save some coin. Replacing 2/3 of it immediately will turn a inexpensive project into something a good deal more
    Last edited by themighty9mm; 07-17-14 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker View Post
    It's all a matter of $$, configuation/component selection, your purpose for the gun, and proper tools for the job or sending it to someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Before you go dump a ton of money into tearing up the upper, get your upper and some handguards (inexpensive m4 or MOE handguards temporarily) and go to the range. It's a BCM so you shouldn't be disappointed. Then re-assess your needs/wants after.
    Smartest thing I have been told thus far. Thanks Bro.

Feedback Score
    reckless,

while we have you here, what sort of lower receiver configuration are you planning on putting this on?

Feedback Score
    I've got a Double Star Zombie Slayer lower a year back and never did anything with it, except get a Magpul MOE + grip and a few Misc parts. I want to get a spikes complete lower to slap on with the BCM upper. Heard it's a good qual part.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast